PDA

View Full Version : Florida Bound

Hopeful Romantic
Apr 18, 2007, 11:19 PM
I know that this might be a bit off track, but with the large group of active members in Florida, I thought that I might be able to obtain some information.

I'm moving to Central Florida in aproximately three months, and looking for any suggestions when it comes to both long distance moving, and seeking employment in the area. Currently, I am working in the administrative end of the medical field, and have my resume on the major websites, as well as in the hands of the HR departments of the hospitals and private practices.

Any and all suggestions are more than welcome, and I thank you all in advance for your :2cents:

Herbwoman39
Apr 18, 2007, 11:31 PM
Please tell me you're moving to a civilized part of central Florida. Melbourne is not civilization by any stretch of the imagination. I personally am counting the months until we move out of MelHell and back to Atlanta. (16 to be precise).

If you're moving to the Orlando area, check the newspaper's help wanted section online. You can also google employment in the area you're moving to.

As for moving, we hired a moving company.

Good luck :)

deletetacount123
Apr 18, 2007, 11:49 PM
Please tell me you're moving to a civilized part of central Florida. Melbourne is not civilization by any stretch of the imagination. I personally am counting the months until we move out of MelHell and back to Atlanta. (16 to be precise).

If you're moving to the Orlando area, check the newspaper's help wanted section online. You can also google employment in the area you're moving to.

As for moving, we hired a moving company.

Good luck :)

Herbie - How far is Atlanta to BC canada? :tongue: :tongue:

Hopeful Romantic- When I moved from Ontario to BC we just tried a moving truck. At the time I was working for my dad and he took his business with him so that was no problem lol But do check Craiglist and the offical local online newspaper for the town/city your moving to.
A lot of places might pay you to fly down for a interview :)

Tasha

Barejerrfla
Apr 19, 2007, 5:52 AM
as always big cities are more expensive, than country living, property values etc. personally, living on the out-skirts of a big (100k+) is better, you get the best of both worlds... in Florida an hour from the water is nice and you don;t have to pay for the very expensive property.

Kind of depends on what you are looking for... everywhere has it's down side... but bi lifestyle wise, cities would be tampa-st pete, orlando, southeast florida, west palm-ft lauderdale-miami..... I have lived in jacksonville and gainesville area and the are not quite as liberal as the aforementioned cities. You can check out the chamber of commerce in whatever city you are looking to move... usually have crime stats, demographic info and what industries are near-by. also, A big thing to me is (tap)water quality.... some places the water is nasty, almost un-drinkable. if I can be of any further help, ask.... I have lived all over the world and making this kind of move has it ups and downs....

jcorlando
Apr 19, 2007, 8:00 AM
Hello! I think you will like it, I have been in the central Fla area for over 16 yrs. As for employment, the large two are Florida Hospital (7th day adventist system) and Orlando Regional Medical Center, along with a smathering of smaller hospitals. Private practices abound, so you will have a lot of choices, hopefully. The cost of living is moderate, much lower than Miami, Boca, Tampa, etc. Housing is plentiful, if you want to buy it is a buyer's market as there are too many houses for sale (4x the national average actually). I prefer to live away from the atractions. I hope that helps a bit. Cheers!

Joe
JCA1999

TaylorMade
Apr 19, 2007, 9:17 AM
I'm a Miami native, and am hopefully going to relocate to the Orlando area by next year.

I found the Orlando LBGT community more welcoming. I lived on the East side of Orlando, which is quiet ... there is a university (UCF, Go Golden Knights!) there, but it isn't wild or anything. But the good thing about the East side is that it's 30 minutes from the attractions and eventually you will learn short cuts to get there. And one of the more popular gay clubs (Southern Nights) is nearby. I liked Southern, it was really kinda homey for a club.
Rents are reasonable, the people friendly.

I sound like an ad, but I really enjoyed East Orlando more than my Native Miami. If I was forced to stay in Florida, that is the location I'd choose.

*Taylor*

Hopeful Romantic
Apr 19, 2007, 9:21 PM
Thank you ALL for the information!!! We are aiming for just west of Orlando, and it sounds like everyone has a positive outlook on the area.

jca1999, I was introduced to ORMC last August when my dad was airlifted there was emergant surgery. Amazing hospital, and my first choice of employers!!

Again, thank you ALL for the input, and if you think of anything else, I would be so grateful!!

:cool: