PDA

View Full Version : coming out

XXXperimental
Apr 14, 2007, 7:38 PM
Did you feel like coming out as bi would make people think you're some kind of freak, and that your friends would distance themselves, treat you differently or not accept you at all? If so, how did you deal with it? :eek:

Herbwoman39
Apr 14, 2007, 9:00 PM
Oh hell yes! I was scared half to death! But that was before I was completely comfortable with my bisexuality. Once I grew into this new part of who I am, it became so much easier to come out.

For me it has really just been a matter of confidence and knowing myself.

BlueMoon203
Apr 15, 2007, 2:05 AM
I am still working on this. I too am scared to death to come out to friends and family, but I am not sure how confident I am in my sexuality. As I have become more and more confident and comfortable I feel more ready, but not quite there yet to come out. Either way I think it is going to be scary.

TashaSW
Apr 15, 2007, 2:21 AM
I have this "who cares what you think" act lol

I believe if friends are REALLY your friends then it wouldn't bother them... if they freak out and call you names then maybe they were never your real friends in the first place. Only the real ones will go "Oh, cool"

Family well, your the same person as you are before you told them. If they can't accept it well, its thier problem not yours.
Only YOU know what makes YOU happy. No one else... not even those that know you super well. YOU are the only one that knows your own happiness.

Never let people tell you how you can feel. So what if you like men and women. Bisexual means your open to BOTH genders..... not limiting yourself to just men or just women.

Tasha

biwords
Apr 15, 2007, 3:31 AM
Did you feel like coming out as bi would make people think you're some kind of freak, and that your friends would distance themselves, treat you differently or not accept you at all? If so, how did you deal with it? :eek:

I don't think it's necessary to come out to everyone, and I haven't done so with one of my oldest friends because I don't think he'd be comfortable with the knowledge. On the other hand, I came out to a trusted female co-worker, a mother of two, who promptly told me that she'd had a number of relationships with women as well as men! It's a bit of a crapshoot, really. Some people will think you're a freak, and you have to be able to accept that if you're going to come out.

happyjoe68
Apr 15, 2007, 9:31 AM
I'm not really worried whether people think I'm a freak or not, I just dont need the homophobic hassle I would get of others. If I came out to some people it would end the relationship, and sometimes the relationship is more important then being 100% brutally honest with people - after all, they have secrets in their life which they've never told me about because they see no reason to tell me.

It isnt necessary to come out to everyone. They dont tell you everything that goes on in their lives and in their heads, so why should you? Only tell people you care about and who wouldnt use it against you

darkeyes
Apr 15, 2007, 10:09 AM
Course its best if we were all Out an able 2 do all we could 2 break down the barriers of prejudice, but life isnt that simple, and the world is less than perfect. Many for whatever reason feel unable to be open about their sexuality, and Happy Joe does have a valid point. Were it only otherwise.. but its not and so many of us have to remain closeted for reasons which should not but do exist..

While I will always encourage, and am ready to help anyone make the transition to openess, I would never be such a pain in the booty to condemn or criticise any who feel safer or more comfortable remaining in the closet.. its a matter of personal preference and choice and as a group we should support people whatever option they take..

The question of those who remain closeted and/or use their sexuality to betray and/or treat with contempt others they profess to love, and who they may endanger by being so, is a seperate question about something which I instinctively hate, but am all 2 well aware of our failings as human beings, and my own personal failings, to condemn wholesale. This is a problem for human beings, gay, bi or str8, open or not. Thats not an excuse, merely a reason.. it is often a difficult thing to be so hypocritical as to condemn others for things which are so close to things we may have done ourselves ..

DuskTillDawn
Apr 15, 2007, 11:52 AM

I definatly did feel things like taht would happen however I think its just a risk that has to be taken.

As was mentioned before it may sort your real friends for the fake, but then again some of your real friends may have a genuine problem with bisexuality and therefor you lose a real friend. Another way to see it is that sometimes its good to have "fake friends", people who arent really your friends but you have a laugh with them anyway and that I'd be sad to lose.

I have only come out to one person so I'm not speeking from experience here this is just an educated guess on the subject...

Coming out is definatly not certain, chances are there will be people who think your a freak, good friends may distance themselves from you, some friends may disapear altogether. Then again, you will most likely make new friends, become closer to current friends and open a whole new adventure in your life.

I came out to my best friend and that has been nothing but positive, its helped me relax around her. I'm not ready to come out to my other friends yet because I don't think I'm quite ready to face them. However, I cant wait until I do "come out" to the world and start a whole new chapter to my life.

Noone is going to be accepted everywhere in every group so I would advise that you just enjoy the places you are accepted and forget about the places or people who dont accept you. Fighting to be accepted will get you nowhere, you cant become someone else, it never works.

Make the most of what you have and enjoy life :)

Abbey Road
Apr 15, 2007, 5:39 PM
I was nervous about coming out to the first person, after that I found it easier. I`ve told my closests mates & some of my workmates & they are ok with it.Some already guessed. I don`t & won`t tell everyone - it doesn`t concern them. Ive known I`m Bi for years & I`m comfortable with it now - it took a while for me to find myself. :bibounce:

jo69guy
Apr 16, 2007, 8:16 AM
I think the hardest part for me was telling my parents. After that, it was much easier. I'm still quite closeted at work, but my closest friends, and family all know.

As for advice, just take your time. You will know when the time is right. Don't get down if some people are unsupportive, or even hostile. Good luck! :2cents: