PDA

View Full Version : UPC Codes Madness!!!

deletetacount123
Apr 9, 2007, 6:53 PM
So people.... ever watched a cashier at a grocery store typing in UPC codes for every fresh fruit and veggie you buy? It can be A LOT of work!!!
Especially for a trainer and newbie... so many numbers, and of course your learning the names of all the fruit/veggies you never knew existed lol
Parsnip??? I thought it was some sort of a cat food at first lol Nope Im wrong, its a very oddy shapped vegatable.

Im a cashier at a grocery store now and Im learning all the UPC codes... some people know the numbers quickly.... I keep checking the list lol but some of the common ones are now famillar in my head.

It is however fun to learn about all the veggies and fruits that exists and the proper names of some lol

Type type type the codies!!!!!

My fingers from my years of being online are a bit to fast for the register at my cashier till tho cause I mistype some numbers lol At least they can be corrected.
OH NO!!! Summer is when all the BERRIES comes out.... gah, but I think most of them are already prepackaged with a bar code :-)

So has anyone else here ever worked in a grocery store?? :-)

Tasha

Judas Imok
Apr 9, 2007, 7:13 PM
Yes, I have worked at a grocery store, and I know those codes are such hassles! But as you get familiar with the shop, you start to know which codes you have to punch in and it gets faster over time, and then you don't even think about it. In any case... I wish you well.

*hugs and kisses*

Hopeful Romantic
Apr 9, 2007, 9:08 PM
Been there, done that...

Actually did it so badly that I was sacked within 4 weeks.

deletetacount123
Apr 9, 2007, 9:56 PM
Been there, done that...

Actually did it so badly that I was sacked within 4 weeks.

They expect you to know it all within 4 weeks?!?!

Some of the other girls said it took them almot 2 months to be able to remember most UPC codes lol But I guess it depends. In my mind I know where the code for say, carrots-bulk is so I find it pretty fast on the sheet.
While other codes gotten easy like 4011 is Banannas and 4593 is English Cucumbers!!

Tasha

Hopeful Romantic
Apr 9, 2007, 11:00 PM
They expect you to know it all within 4 weeks?!?!

Some of the other girls said it took them almot 2 months to be able to remember most UPC codes lol But I guess it depends. In my mind I know where the code for say, carrots-bulk is so I find it pretty fast on the sheet.
While other codes gotten easy like 4011 is Banannas and 4593 is English Cucumbers!!

Tasha

Don't fret, hon. I was hired by a person I lovingly refer to as "The Grocery Nazi" and I truely believe that more that it was my attitude that had me out on my arse than my lack of skills.

*sighing dreamily* Oh to be 21 again... having ALL the answers to the world's questions, yet still not knowing the questions.

deletetacount123
Apr 10, 2007, 12:31 AM
Don't fret, hon. I was hired by a person I lovingly refer to as "The Grocery Nazi" and I truely believe that more that it was my attitude that had me out on my arse than my lack of skills.

*sighing dreamily* Oh to be 21 again... having ALL the answers to the world's questions, yet still not knowing the questions.

oooh attitude :tongue: I had a couple rude people yesterday who decided I had a BAD attitude cause I was "ignoring them" when there was a BIG sign on my till saying Im hearing imparied plus a smaller sign that said the same thing under my name tag. Aaaaaaah lol
One even went to the customer service to complain and I was kinda watching (my till was right across from the customer service desk) ... the girl over there was explaining I was hearing impaired and had signs to say so and so on... customer left and the girl looks at me and does a thumbs up to me and mouths "some people are crazy!!" lol

Solomon
Apr 10, 2007, 5:04 AM

but then without the answer's there's no need to find the questions lol

i used to work in a grocery store, and the warehouse i work in now serves the Save-On chain...

i work with the product before it gets to the store... it's much more nuts lol

i'm not sure people would want to shop at a grocery store if they knew some of the stuff that goes on lol!

Solomon
Apr 10, 2007, 5:09 AM
an yep tash... you'll get to experience all walks of life :eek:

some of'em are amazing! lol!

an they'll have kewl names too... some of me fav's are moose, spoon, yellowpaper, etc.. etc... lol!

deletetacount123
Apr 10, 2007, 11:56 AM
an yep tash... you'll get to experience all walks of life :eek:

some of'em are amazing! lol!

an they'll have kewl names too... some of me fav's are moose, spoon, yellowpaper, etc.. etc... lol!

I haven't heard of those yet!! lol But I have had to ask customers what the heck the weird looking veggie was lol (or they would know Im gonna ask and say what it is)

I like the bar codes better than UPC numbers :) lol

Solomon
Apr 10, 2007, 6:08 PM
hhmmm think the standard answer would be rutabaga hehehee!

deletetacount123
Apr 11, 2007, 12:45 PM
hhmmm think the standard answer would be rutabaga hehehee!

Ummmm Im gonna check that in the UPC book today. lol