PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in Woodstock!

yoyo4u
Apr 9, 2007, 1:03 PM
Growing up in Europe I had no first hand experience, but was aware of the going ons during the 1960’s here in the US.

My generation a continent away loved the culture, the music and (many) tried to imitate them.

I have a question to those who were part of the Hippy lifestyle, or were raised by Hippies:

What did I miss? What was it like than?

What was it like going to a concert listening to Jimi Hendrix Experience, Janis Joplin, Country Joe & the Fish and all those American Idols.

Am I the only one stuck in the past? Is it my age? Is it that I am a true baby-boomer....., or was it really that much different back than?

Once I read someplace.......“If you didn’t live in the 60’s it probably didn’t even happen!”

I’d like to get some of you to reply because “it” is with me every day and I don’t know what “it” is!

yoyo

ghytifrdnr
Apr 10, 2007, 12:46 AM
I think your experience in Europe is very similar to the vast majority who grew up in this country. The unfortunate fact seems to be that MOST of us were outsiders (even if we were very "into" the culture) unless we lived in a small handful of major cities. That said, I sure do miss the sixties.
BTW, I consider Woodstock to mark the end of the era, not the beginning. :cool:

yoyo4u
Apr 10, 2007, 1:23 AM
I consider Woodstock to mark the end of the era, not the beginning. :cool:

Thanks for your thoughts, it was interesting.
Unfortunately, I believe the same
:cool:

yoyo

mistymockingbird
Apr 10, 2007, 2:22 AM
I'm a child of hippies although I tease them mercilessly that they have become more like establishment in their old age. Mom burned her bra, wore an army shirt on campus, the whole bit. Dad fought the administration at their university trying to bring about change to campus policies. They both lost friends in Vietnam. In their day you were eligible to be drafted at 18 but unable to vote about it and they spoke up against that. They married in 1972. Mom wore a miniskirt. Legendary to this day in my tiny little OK hometown.

I love being a hippie kid. I was raised listening to Steppenwolf, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Doors. Somewhere I have albums that were recorded live at Woodstock. And I still own two working record players for when I want to give them a listen. Mom had the best arts and crafts projects for my brother and I as kids. Mom's homemade playdough kicks ass over the store bought stuff. When didn't get exposed to a lot of tv. We had 9 acres of land and were expected to go outside and entertain ourselves. We went backpacking and fishing. We always had music and books and art in our house. When I got older, they batted nary an eyelash at my first tattoo and know that I smoke pot. We've even discussed our first experiences with it. I've heard bits and pieces of stories involving mom at clubs with a black light but she won't elaborate on the details. lol

On deeper levels though, their ideals taught me a great deal about the world and who I am. They taught me an appreciation for nature and the environment. They taught me the importance of voting, for speaking up for those who can't speak up for themselves. They allowed me to pursue my dream of the arts which opened up a WHOLE big world. They taught me tolerance, even from the youngest of ages. We differ in our interpretations, but they taught me the value of spirituality. Education was highly valued in our house. There was never a question of whether or not I would go to college, only which college would I choose. And yet, when I dropped out to get married, they understood.

They were fairly loose with rules so long as my bro and I kept our grades up and were respectful. When we started slipping, privileges were lost and had to be earned back. I could swear around them, except the f-bomb. We were allowed to drink at home. Demystifies it when its ok to do. The only thing we didn't talk about was sex. But they let me run around with a much older crowd so I learned that from my friends. Bottom line is that they gave me the room to make my own choices but were always there to support me and to keep me in check if I got out of line.

My mom, dad, older brother, and I are all involved in work with charities and other non-profit orgs. My brother is a preacher and a missionary. Mom and Dad work in academia. They volunteer time and give money to causes they believe in. I work in the arts.

My folks are two of the most wonderful people on the planet. I'm firmly convinced. I can't imagine being raised any other way than how I was.

yoyo4u
Apr 10, 2007, 1:11 PM
I'm a child of hippies ... I love being a hippie kid. ....

With a name like yours - mockingbird (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3O0u8ZxLbs) (click to hear the song)- I should have suspected!

Your posting is such a nice testament to that era!

If you can tell about you being here, tell your parents that I send my best regards and applaud them for raising such a wonderful person as you are!

Thank you for your contribution to this topic!

yoyo

12voltman59
Apr 10, 2007, 1:20 PM
I was too young to have experienced all of the things that went on in the 60s but I sure as heck wished that I had--I came from a pretty much traditional midwestern family--but I can tell you--had I been old enough to have done so--I would have been right in the thick of what was going on then---

I'd have gone to Haight-Ashbury or other such places--gone to see Woodstock and roll around naked in the mud chanting "Make Love-Not War!!!" and cheer on Country Joe and the Fish when they sang "Give me an F--give me a U....." "and it's 1-2-3-4 what are we fighting for, I don't give a damn about Vietnam and it's 5-6-7 and 8--open up the Pearly Gates..." Watch Hendrix play his version of the "Star Spangled Banner"

I would of had me a VW or other van painted up with Peace symbols and other similar things of those days....

Cool man, coool!!!!!! Groovvvyyy Babby!!!! Love and Peace, Man!!!!

As far as Misty is concerned--the rightwing nut jobs have this notion-one of their well spun myths that somehow warp into "truth" that liberals/progressives are incapable of raising children that become good productive, happlily adjusted people--but then she is bi-but hell--my parents were pretty damn traditional and both of their kids are both liberal, not straight down the center lane people--so what does that prove?
I bet most of the folks here--they come from "traditional" style families and homes---so it all proves nothing in terms of the way a chld is raised as to how they will turn out--in terms of sexuality or much of anything else.

The real issue is if there is love in the house or not---it seems that Misty's folks gave her and her siblings plenty of love--mine did---

It sounds like you had a great childhood Misty--you are sure a great person!!!!! I'd like to meet your mom and dad.

yoyo4u
Apr 10, 2007, 1:49 PM
Hivolty!

Me three!

I have both the complete CD and the video and I can't, no, I won't get bored listening, or watching them ever!

I love many types of music, but I always end up on one of the "oldies, but goodies" radio stations.

My love towards that time in history is unfaded. I would have been a perfect flower child, because I wanted and still want to be free.

According to the hippie culture "Once a hippie, always a hippie!"

I am currently reading "Hippies from A-Z" (by Skip Stone) online (http://www.hipplanet.com/books/atoz/atoz.htm).

Interesting reading!

Flower power.

love,
yoyo

mistymockingbird
Apr 11, 2007, 2:10 AM
With a name like yours - mockingbird (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3O0u8ZxLbs) (click to hear the song)- I should have suspected!

mistymockingbird is actually a nod to the street I grew up on. My actual name is so much more pedestrian. I was almost named Summer but they reconsidered at the last minute. Conversely my dad wanted to saddle my brother with the distinction of being "so and so the 3rd" but mom didn't want her first born's name to be longer than he was.

It struck me after I left the first post that I mentioned mom and dad never talked about sex in the house when everything else was pretty much fair game. Those discussions were notably absent. I think that had more to do with the fact that although they were pretty hippied out, we are from the south and lived in the bible belt. I guess I always knew that I could talk to them if I needed to, but eew, what high school kid wants to talk to their folks about sex?

They make pretty hip grandparents too. I hope that what they gave my brother and me rubs off on my nieces and nephew as well.

BTW it still trips me out to hear my mom (now 56) get excited about something and say far out!

yoyo4u
Apr 11, 2007, 12:47 PM
That's far out man!!!

Since you mentioned sex and the hippies, here on this bisexual site, let me say here, I think there is a great parallel between free sex and bisex.

The hippies' philosophy (http://www.hipplanet.com/books/atoz/sex.htm) on sex is in unison, or perhaps even a recipe book for bisex.

For entertainment, I recommend Jimi Hendrix (http://www.sugarjar.com/media/40324/)

yoyo

noostoo
Apr 11, 2007, 1:04 PM
BTW it still trips me out to hear my mom (now 56) get excited about something and say far out!

and none of it rubbed off on you eh? ;)

yoyo4u
Apr 11, 2007, 1:09 PM
Okay....

I'd like you to watch this video (http://www.sugarjar.com/media/49279/) and see if anybody receognizes themselves. (Not mentioning the great music!)

If you do, I'd love to hear from you!

You are likely a Grandma, or Grandpa by now, but don't worry....they say the new forty is sixty :tongue:

yoyo

country60
Apr 11, 2007, 2:44 PM
I am 52 and grew up in South Dakota during the 60's and I found out about Woodstock about a week after it was over! I felt like I had missed some thing really important so I did what I could to make up for what I thought I missed. As I have aged I have discovered what I missed was nothing that I could not have made for my self. I became part of the crowd instead of an individual and that became a problem, my problem.
I enjoied my up bringing and the things that I did, but I truly believe that I could have done better than just follow the crowd. The music was good but I still enjoy todays country more than the hard rock my friends listen to. As they say, you can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy.
I have heard that if you can remember the 60's you didn't really live them, I guess I am safe there, the 60's, 70's and part of the 80's are preety much a blur. :tongue:

ghytifrdnr
Apr 11, 2007, 10:42 PM
I guess this is the thread where I can relate my one personal contact with the rock revolution.

In the spring of 1960 I was in the tenth grade in school in a town south of Seattle. For a couple of weeks I went after school in the afternoons with a couple of friends to a small county park to hang out and cruise for chicks. While there we listened to a small local band who were jamming under the kitchen shelter. (the only electric outlet) They were good, and we really enjoyed the music. We learned that the group called themselves "The Ventures", but at that point in time it meant little. After a couple of weeks, the group stopped showing up and we pretty much forgot about them. Then, later that summer, "Walk, Don't Run" hit the airwaves and rapidly climbed the national charts.

It's a great memory, and I guess it means that I can claim I was there in the beginning. :cool:

yoyo4u
Apr 12, 2007, 12:41 PM
...."Walk, Don't Run"....

That is certainly far out man!
Thank you for your post and thanks for all who stop by to view this thread (172 and counting).

I hope you have had the chance to follow the links I previously posted. If you did, you'd find views opinions of lots of great people aboiut sex (http://www.hipplanet.com/books/atoz/sex.htm) and other topics.

For those of you who want to hear the music of "The Ventures" the first time, or hear it again, Click here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Wjzom-WNXE)

yoyo :cool:

12voltman59
Apr 12, 2007, 3:57 PM
(Sounding like one of those baritone announcers of those days)

"Thanks for that trip down memory lane with "The Ventures" playing their big 1960 hit--"Walk, Don't Run" "

You know---I have always loved that music, but it was always one of those bits that was sorta in the background---I never knew the name of the piece nor the group who did it.

"Golly Gee, Wally, they sure do look mighty clean cut,"

"That's right Beav!!"

I bet there were parents and teachers who thought that The Ventures were the coming of the anti-christ--boy--little did they know what was coming just around the proverbial corner: Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, Hendrix, Jim Morrison and the Doors, The Gratefull Dead, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin and all the rest of that era---

They thought Elvis was bad with his swivelin' hips---what kind of raw, untamed sexual energy did Jim Morrison convey???? and others of course...

yoyo4u
Apr 12, 2007, 4:09 PM
....I bet there were parents and teachers who thought that The Ventures were the coming of the anti-christ...

How true!!!

I remember we were called hooligans, just because the hair grew below the top of our ears :)
Everyone, parents, teachers, priest and even the stupid grocer constantly bombarded us urging "Cut your hair young man!"

I wonder if they laugh at themselves by now and in fact wish for, those "bad ol' days"

I certainly do!!!

yoyo :cool:

Kuragxo
Apr 12, 2007, 5:14 PM
You are forgetting that a great deal of the hippie thing was European as well, so did you really miss anything? :)

Remember:

1. Jimi Hendrix spent years in Great Britain because he wasn't accepted at first in the U.S. :)

2. My favorite band at Woodstock was from Scotland and doesn't appear in the Woodstock movies, yet I think in many ways they were the epitome of the Hippie philosophy...I'm speaking of the Incredible String Band. They were the classic hippies. The band lived in a commune. Their songs were surrealistic excursions into peace and love and probably drug induced. :) While Robin and Mike were excellent musicians and songwriters, they brought a non-elitist communal philosophy into their performances and band personel, encouraging the idea that folk music is actually "music of the folk" (that is , You and I). And finally, in the true spirit of Woodstock, their female members, Rose and Likki, did perform at Woodstock in see-through blouses. :)

yoyo4u
Apr 12, 2007, 5:21 PM
You are forgetting that a great deal of the hippie thing was European as well.......

Of course I'm not!
I was 27 when I left Europe.
We (my generation) were sheltered from these ideas and labeled if rebelled, but it was worth it! :tongue: :tongue:

As for remebering........just look at my signature!

yoyo
:tongue:

ambi53mm
Apr 12, 2007, 9:30 PM
I've tried to respond to this post several times but having lived through the 60's I find it impossible....Woodstock to me was neither the beginning nor the end...but it certainly was epitome of the times.

Ambi :)