PDA

View Full Version : Is this really cricket?

rayosytruenos
Apr 4, 2007, 7:49 PM
Well, I was trying to understand cricket while I was watching a game where England was playing against Sri Lanka. Too much ball grabbing and hitting for me to get a real understanding, so I found this explanation of what cricket is:

CRICKET - AS EXPLAINED TO A FOREIGNER

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes, there are men still in and not out.

There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out) then the game is finished.

Blimey! I still have no clue about what cricket is about, but by Jove, I think I was reading a description of an all male orgy!!! :bigrin:

All the best,

ray

TaylorMade
Apr 4, 2007, 8:48 PM
I am even MORE confused . . .

I think the English make up the rules as they go along to confuse everyone.

And this is the sport that spread, instead of Rugby.

*Taylor*

chook
Apr 4, 2007, 10:44 PM
To put it bluntly.......cricket is a cunt of a game....it takes five days to play a test match and 10 seconds (if ya lucky) to see the highlights...I for one absolutely hate it but then it a religion to others.....anyway what would expect from the british.

Cheers Chook :bigrin:

12voltman59
Apr 5, 2007, 1:55 AM
Thanks for clearing it up Rayo--now I finally understand the game of Cricket--just like when I hear BBC radio and they tell the score---ohh yeah--that is such an easy game to figrue out!!!!

Guess I am just a dumb Amurikan!!!!!

It was a funny post Rayo!!! Thanks----we need some comic relief badly on here these days!!!!!

Abbey Road
Apr 5, 2007, 11:04 AM
I like cricket & rugby (both union & league) & I just about understand them!!

I tried explaining them to my mates but failed miserabley!! :) :bibounce:

Flounder1967
Apr 5, 2007, 6:58 PM
O.k. I am a native USA person who had played both Football, Baseball, and basketball. I have also played cricket and Rugby. I understand the rules of all. If you have question put them out ther and i will answer them.

Why did I inclue basketball. Well basketball was started and way to condition rugby players (the backs mostly, or Salleys) during the winter months. Orginally you didn't bounce the ball. So of5 guys passing the ball up and down the to score.

CRICKET - AS EXPLAINED TO A FOREIGNER

1. You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

2. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

3. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

4. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

5. Sometimes, there are men still in and not out.

6. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

7. When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out) then the game is finished.

The Answers
1.2.3.4.5.6.7. both side have 11 men on the feild, but there could be as much as 12 batters. You one bat once. The feilding team "bowls" pitches 6 times per batter. If the pitch is wide either inside or out side it is wide, and doesn't count towrd the 6 pitches. it works better to bouce the ball. If the batter hits the ball and decides to run. both men must run and get there safe area before the is returned to the wicket. the wicket consits of 3 sticks in the ground about 24" inches high and about with of the ball. if the ball hit the wicket with runner outside the box that runner is out. you cannot have a double playin cricket. if the ball is bowled and hits the wicket at the batter end the batter is out. you get one called strike basicly. After 6 hitablepitches. the feilding team switches ends. so the catcher move to the other end and a new pitcher make his 6 ptches.

let me know if this is really confusing. that how i know i'm doing it right.

innaminka
Apr 5, 2007, 8:38 PM
Test Cricket is a beautiful game.
For those wanting instant thrills and a lack ofsubtlety - that's why the 1 day game was invented, and now 20/20. (That IS garbage!)
test cricket unrolls slowly - its like an all-day sucker where a different colour is revealed after time.
there are subtleties, variations, nuances that to be honest need almost to be acquired at birth.

I love test cricket -

12voltman59
Apr 6, 2007, 1:35 AM
Test Cricket is a beautiful game.
For those wanting instant thrills and a lack ofsubtlety - that's why the 1 day game was invented, and now 20/20. (That IS garbage!)
test cricket unrolls slowly - its like an all-day sucker where a different colour is revealed after time.
there are subtleties, variations, nuances that to be honest need almost to be acquired at birth.

I love test cricket -

I hear them talk about "test Cricket" on the BEEB--but wonder what the hell is that-is there "real Cricket" as opposed to "test Cricket"

I guess that Crickett is one of those things you do have to be born and raised up with---I read Flounder said an it still makes not a whit of sense to me---

I'lls stick with American Football, Baseball, Basketball, the various forms of motor sports including NASCAR, ocean sailboat racing and high performance offshore powerboat racing, golf, soccer as we call it in the states---and following the Tour De France for my sports....but I think I will forgo Cricket thank you very much!!!!! LOL

jedinudist
Apr 6, 2007, 1:44 AM
Futbol baby! Soccer RULES :D

Aside from that, I have tried to understand cricket before and gave up. I found Algebra 2 and trig easier to grasp.

Omnivore
Apr 6, 2007, 8:36 AM
I have no idea how it works, just never had the inclination to learn, bores me to death - and I grew up with it!

noostoo
Apr 6, 2007, 8:36 PM
I hear them talk about "test Cricket" on the BEEB--but wonder what the hell is that-is there "real Cricket" as opposed to "test Cricket"

A "test match" in rugby or cricket is an international challenge match to "test" the best players from each nation. In rugby, the majority of internationals are still test matches with no tournament or external competition being contested other than the match.

In cricket it's the purest form of the game and used to be played over two innings until a result was reached no matter the length of the game. I believe a test match in the past once lasted for about 12 days. Eventually this was reduced to 5 days maximum. If the match is not resolved in that time then a "draw" is declared which is not the same as a "tie" which would only occur if the teams had equal runs when either the time runs out or all players are out.

I agree with innaminka that it's a truly beautiful game full of subtleties but in my case it was something I picked up through a friend when I was 22. There is no sport on this earth that can create tension and drama quite like cricket and I often describe it to people as "high drama disguised as intense boredom"

12voltman59
Apr 7, 2007, 1:13 AM
A "test match" in rugby or cricket is an international challenge match to "test" the best players from each nation. In rugby, the majority of internationals are still test matches with no tournament or external competition being contested other than the match.

In cricket it's the purest form of the game and used to be played over two innings until a result was reached no matter the length of the game. I believe a test match in the past once lasted for about 12 days. Eventually this was reduced to 5 days maximum. If the match is not resolved in that time then a "draw" is declared which is not the same as a "tie" which would only occur if the teams had equal runs when either the time runs out or all players are out.

I agree with innaminka that it's a truly beautiful game full of subtleties but in my case it was something I picked up through a friend when I was 22. There is no sport on this earth that can create tension and drama quite like cricket and I often describe it to people as "high drama disguised as intense boredom"

Thanks for clearing that up for me, but I do believe I will leave y'all to that game---I'd rather watch NASCAR cars going around in a big circle all day--at least its over in a few hours!!!!! :)

noostoo
Apr 7, 2007, 4:28 AM
Thanks for clearing that up for me, but I do believe I will leave y'all to that game---I'd rather watch NASCAR cars going around in a big circle all day--at least its over in a few hours!!!!! :)

Ahhh Nascar.... "Intense boredom and headaches disguised as mild boredom" ;)

bigbadmax
Apr 7, 2007, 5:59 AM
as with all british/english sports.....we invented em but we are so crap at them it's unbelievable...

The only comfort one can gain is that yanks never want to play rugger- as they want the protection of american football gear.

we english on the other hand love it rough and ready!

and whats better than whacking some leather and waiting for someone to catch your balls!...and dont mention the sticky wicket!

darkeyes
Apr 7, 2007, 3:35 PM
as with all british/english sports.....we invented em but we are so crap at them it's unbelievable...

The only comfort one can gain is that yanks never want to play rugger- as they want the protection of american football gear.

and whats better than whacking some leather and waiting for someone to catch your balls!...and dont mention the sticky wicket!

Yawn!!!!!!! :(

darkeyes
Apr 7, 2007, 4:10 PM
Futbol baby! Soccer RULES :D

Aside from that, I have tried to understand cricket before and gave up. I found Algebra 2 and trig easier to grasp.

Soccer?? How cud ya Jedi??????????????????????????????? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo!!!!!!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eek!!!! :eek:

DiamondDog
Apr 8, 2007, 2:34 PM
Sports bore me and I don't see the point of them.

TaylorMade
Apr 8, 2007, 5:06 PM

I dissent.

Rugby is a popular sport in American Colleges. . . mainly for the drinking, though. :D

*Taylor*

abc1234
Apr 9, 2007, 1:15 AM
OK. There is an old English saying and heres how it goes:
Rugby is a game played by ruffians and followed by gentlemen.
Football (soccer) is a game played by gentlemen and followed by ruffians.
And cricket is a game played by gentlemen and followed by gentlemen.
Cricket is, by far, the sport that requires the greatest amount of thinking both during and off play. To be honest though, if you are not bought up watching or playing cricket it's going to be a bit boring and even tiresome. But to those of us who know what cricket is about it's by far the greatest sport full of twists and turns.

darkeyes
Apr 9, 2007, 5:32 AM
OK. There is an old English saying and heres how it goes:
Rugby is a game played by ruffians and followed by gentlemen.
Football (soccer) is a game played by gentlemen and followed by ruffians.
And cricket is a game played by gentlemen and followed by gentlemen.
Cricket is, by far, the sport that requires the greatest amount of thinking both during and off play. To be honest though, if you are not bought up watching or playing cricket it's going to be a bit boring and even tiresome. But to those of us who know what cricket is about it's by far the greatest sport full of twists and turns.
Actually the saying is

Rugby is game for ruffians played by gentlemen. Football is a game for gentlemen played by ruffians.

Cricket comes no where being boring!

And take it from me..football is THE game!! :bigrin: