PDA

View Full Version : You just might be a Blue-Neck...

bi-robin-calif
Mar 31, 2007, 11:33 AM
You just might be a Blue-Neck if:

1. You think barbecue is a verb meaning "to cook outside."

2. You think Heinz Ketchup is really SPICY!

3. You don't have any problems pronouncing "Worcestershire sauce"
correctly.

4. For breakfast, you would prefer potato au gratin to grits.

5. You don't know what a moon pie is.

6. You've never had an RC cola.

7. You've never, ever, eaten okra--fried or boiled.

8. You eat fried chicken with a knife and fork.

9. You've never seen a live chicken, and the only cows you've seen are on road trips.

10. You have no idea what a polecat is.

11. You don't see anything wrong with putting a sweater on a poodle.

12. You don't have bangs.

13. You would rather vacation at Martha's Vineyard than Six Flags.

14. More than two generations of your family have been kicked out of the same prep school in Connecticut.

15. You would rather have your son become a lawyer than grow up to get his own TV fishing show.

16. Instead of referring to two or more people as "y'all," you call them "you guys," even if both of them are women.

17. You don't think Ted Kennedy has an accent.

18. You have never planned your summer vacation around a gun-and-knife show.

19. You think more money should go to important scientific research at your university than to pay the salary of the head football coach.

20. You don't have at least one can of WD-40 somewhere around the house.

21. The last time you smiled was when you prevented someone from getting on an on-ramp to the highway.

22. You don't have any hats in your closet that advertise feed stores.

23. The farthest south you've ever been is the perfume counter at Neiman Marcus.

24. You can't spit out the car window without pulling over to the side of road and stopping.

25. You would never wear pink or an applique sweatshirt.

26. You don't know what applique is.

27. You don't know anyone with at least two first names (i.e. Joe Bob, Faye Ellen, Billy Ray, Mary Jo, Bubba Dean, Joe Dan, Mary Alice).

28. You don't have doilies, and you certainly don't know how to make one.

29. You get freaked out when people on the subway talk to you.

30. You can do your laundry without quarters.

Added bonus: None of your fur coats are homemade.

mistymockingbird
Mar 31, 2007, 12:32 PM
ROFLMAO

Robin, first we bonded over the unnatural attachment we both have to our PalmPilots, now this. This is hysterical. I'm a transplanted Southerner and can not tell you how many times I've had to explain the glory of okra and true bbq to my yankee friends. But the one that takes the cake...people getting freaked out when they're talked to on the subway. Awesome.

bi-robin-calif
Mar 31, 2007, 3:39 PM
the glory of okra and true bbq to my yankee friends.
Not to mention the difference between Texas barbecue and real barbecue :tong:

Michael623
Mar 31, 2007, 3:56 PM
Very good! Thank you Robin, I needed that.

Ms. Ally Kat
Mar 31, 2007, 4:05 PM
Texans don't even know what you are supposed to BBQ...a cow? for goodness sake

Tommy2020
Mar 31, 2007, 5:10 PM
I once chatted with someone from North Carolina that didn't know what a jalapeno pepper was. I thought EVERYONE knew what an jalapeno pepper was.
BiRobin... I enjoy your rare wit and I thank you for your free entertainment. If it was a chargable feature I would gladly pay the fee.

Tommy2020

arana
Mar 31, 2007, 5:16 PM
Too funny Robin ... Thank you!

Thank goodness I'm in the middle .... lavender neck

12voltman59
Mar 31, 2007, 5:27 PM
A funny post--I fall somewhere between having a blue and a red neck---

I do love okra and I love all kinds of BBQ---Texas Brisket, Carolina pulled pork, chicken, ribs--dry rubs, sauce on the meat or not, thick red KC-style BBQ sauce, Carolina midlands Mustard style or NC vinegar based even though the vinegar style is my least favorite---

Okra is good fried, but I prefer it in my gumbo---Et Toi!!!!

I've had a few "RC Colas and a Moon Pie" in my time and I love to eat hotdogs from the Varsity Drive Inn at either their Atlanta or Athens locations

I got to go clean off my Tractor Supply hat--I miss Quality Farm and Fleet stores though---

Bye y'all!!!!

mistymockingbird
Mar 31, 2007, 6:01 PM
Not to mention the difference between Texas barbecue and real barbecue :tong:

Ahem. I have love in my heart for BBQ in all of its many forms. Each distinctly different and wonderful. A connoisseur of sorts.

Hands down my favorite BBQ is in my little hometown in OK. Run by family friends. They have the most fabulous sauce. I could eat just that. Smear it on some pork ribs or beef brisket that's falling apart and I'm in heaven.

Runner up was a place in TX. You started out with your tray in the smoke pit, selected your meat of choice, declared whether your meat should be dipped or not (I recommend not at this particular establishment) and then proceeded inside. I always chose potato salad, green beans, and a berry cobbler as my sides. The tables were all super long picnic tables. Placed out family style were loaves of bread, more sauce for those who wanted it, and big tubs of peppers. And paper towels. Lots of paper towels.

The sauce I make in bulk and keep in my fridge is a recipe given to me by a dear friend from NC. Lovely. He's also the guy that taught me how to inject a turkey with hot sauce and deep fry it, but that's another topic entirely. :)

You let me know anytime Robin, I'll come up to Sacramento and you can take me to the BBQ you mentioned in the thread about being pampered.

anne27
Mar 31, 2007, 6:36 PM
BBQ is a food of the Gods. There is no such thang is bad bbq. Some of it's just different. :tong:

12voltman59
Mar 31, 2007, 6:43 PM
Last fall I bought myself one of those nice "Texas-style" barrel smokers---I have not used it all that much thus far--but I have already done some good pulled pork and Texas brisket---I can't wait till the weather gets just a bit nicer and I will uncover it and fire it up!!!!!

My utlimate goal is to build or buy a walk-in smoker that is gas fired but you smoke the meat with hickory or other aromatic woods---

Mudblood
Mar 31, 2007, 8:52 PM
lmao- too funny! Thanks Robin!

And I'm with volty- I'm a purple neck, I guess. And for the record, RC is the greatest stuff on Earth!!!

Herbwoman39
Apr 1, 2007, 12:31 AM
BBQ is a food of the Gods. There is no such thang is bad bbq. Some of it's just different. :tong:

Ooohhhh nonono... There is bad BBQ out there. Trust me. I've had it. It's the stuff where the meat is so dry you can resole your shoes with it and the sauce tastes like ketchup.

Now the best BBQ i have *ever* had, hands down has GOT to be Dreamland BarBCue in Roswell, GA up on the north side of Atlanta just off 400North. It's a St. Louis style sauce and the ribs are cooked right there in house on a brick grill. You can smell the place for MILES! And the Brunswick stew? Amazing! Because they use their homemade sauce for the base.

Volty- I LOVE an Orange Freeze from The Varsity! LOL!

Man I can't WAIT to go home to Atlanta next weekend!

littlerayofsunshine
Apr 1, 2007, 11:17 AM
Wahhh....... Ya'll got me feeling homesick. I'm a transplanted southerner too. Gosh there is so much that I miss. Picking blackberries that grow wild and making cobbler, purplehull peas, smoked alligator, Bon fires, fishin and eatin catfish, perch and brim. I miss sonic and huddle house. fresh turnip greens, hot water cornbread.....cracklins,

I just had to get that off my chest..lol....It's been supressed for a while.

meteast chick
Apr 1, 2007, 11:45 AM
I'm born, bred, raised and live north of the Mason-Dixon, but apparently I'm no blue neck OR red neck either. I grew up outside of a tiny itty bitty little town in the country in north central IL. The only house on a gravel road. What does that mean? That means that I don't know what a polecat is (I coud look it up, something political maybe), I've never had grits, okra once in Missouri, I can pronounce Worcestire Sauce but nobody in this area can, I say DEE-troit, not duh-troit, I say IN-surance, not in-SUR-ance, I say mostaccioli not muskacholi, I used to say Pop but now say Soda, and no longer say Chi-CA-go, in preference for the regional dialect of Shi-cah-go. I have seen a live chicken but we had to get rid of them cuz I'm allergic, and we owned cows. And hey, you guys, we don't have any prep schools where I'm from. We call em private schools LOL.

So...is there something in the lines of a green neck? or put blue and red together and you got purple? A Purple-Neck? That's ME!!!

luv and kisses,
xoxoxoxoxoxox

12voltman59
Apr 1, 2007, 5:00 PM
My current favorite sodas, pops or whatever one calls it---heck in Georgia at one time--all pop or soda was called "Coke"--I one time went into a restaurant one day and the gal asked what kind of "Coke" did I want--they did not have any Coca-Cola products so my "Coke" that day was a Pepsi---

But anyway--my favorite pop is actually a ginger ale type of drink called "ALE-8-One" or as it is pronounced--"A Late One"--from Kentucky--it is made in Kentucky and sold in that state and adjacent parts of Ohio and Indiana--maybe Tennessee now too.

I also love Abita Root Beer made by the Abita Brewing Company down in Louisiana---they normally produce beer but they do make this great, old timey root beer--made with---get this--real sugar and not corn syrup--the sugar is Louisiana cane sugar.