PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Corn Soup and other Recipes

flexuality
Mar 21, 2007, 11:13 PM
With the crazy and sometimes chaotic life we lead, I love finding recipes that are EASY, FAST and taste good! And ones that make enough for a couple of days for when we spend way too much time on this site! lol!

I mentioned this one in chat the other nite and thought I'd post it because it fits the above criteria. :)

Sol loves this soup.....so do the kids. Even Michael, who hates veggies!

CHICKEN CORN SOUP

(this is NOT chowder)

-about 1 to 2 pounds of chicken or turkey
-1 medium sweet onion (optional)
-about 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped celery (optional)
-3-4 cups of corn
-4 or 5 hard boiled eggs, chopped
-enough chicken broth (real or fake or both) to 3/4 fill a dutch oven (the "big pot")
-spices (optional) I use salt, pepper a dash of cayenne and about a tsp of marjoram

If the chicken/turkey is not yet cooked, cook it in a bit of oil in the pot. Add the onions and celery if desired and cook.

Add the broth, corn and chopped eggs.
Add spices.

As soon as it's hot, it's ready to eat! Enjoy! :tong:

Solomon
Mar 22, 2007, 3:45 AM
i highly recommend the real broth, and chicken an turkey are interchangeable :cool:

oh, an make LOTS! it's amazing how fast this can be gone through... an no it doesn't matter if ya like corn or not.

arana
Mar 22, 2007, 9:39 AM
With the crazy and sometimes chaotic life we lead, I love finding recipes that are EASY, FAST and taste good! And ones that make enough for a couple of days for when we spend way too much time on this site! lol!

I mentioned this one in chat the other nite and thought I'd post it because it fits the above criteria. :)

Sol loves this soup.....so do the kids. Even Michael, who hates veggies!

CHICKEN CORN SOUP

(this is NOT chowder)

-about 1 to 2 pounds of chicken or turkey
-1 medium sweet onion (optional)
-about 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped celery (optional)
-3-4 cups of corn
-4 or 5 hard boiled eggs, chopped
-enough chicken broth (real or fake or both) to 3/4 fill a dutch oven (the "big pot")
-spices (optional) I use salt, pepper a dash of cayenne and about a tsp of marjoram

If the chicken/turkey is not yet cooked, cook it in a bit of oil in the pot. Add the onions and celery if desired and cook.

Add the broth, corn and chopped eggs.
Add spices.

As soon as it's hot, it's ready to eat! Enjoy! :tong:
Thank you Flex........ How long do you cook the completed mixture for?

darkeyes
Mar 22, 2007, 9:47 AM
stuff the recipes...sum1 jus cum an do the cookin.... :tong:

imtiffanys
Mar 22, 2007, 3:11 PM
i'm gonna have to try that one.. My bf hates veggies. Only kind of veggie he eat is french fries or a baked potatoe. His mom and I when we cook dinner we usually finely chop up differ veggies and put them into foods..that way he doesn't know what he's eating. don't worry he's not allergic to anything.lol. tiff :female:

flexuality
Mar 22, 2007, 3:19 PM
Thank you Flex........ How long do you cook the completed mixture for?

If the chicken, onions and celery are cooked through, then I usually just heat it til it's hot - about as long as it takes the corn to cook.

Think I forgot to mention that I use frozen corn.

onewhocares
Mar 22, 2007, 5:47 PM
Hi All,

That sounds delish...Another way to get those who do not eat veggies is to puree them into a stock with a blender, be it a traditional one or a hand held stick. Then the nurtrients get there as well as the flavor. OR, sautee veggies and roasted chicken bones ( drumsticks and thighs) and make a great stock. Also, I have also make a stock using a ham bone (much coveted in our family). You can also add all sorts of corn...white shoepeg, cream corn, niblets and regular from a can...ALL are Yummy.

Belle

flexuality
Mar 22, 2007, 6:32 PM
Hi All,

That sounds delish...Another way to get those who do not eat veggies is to puree them into a stock with a blender, be it a traditional one or a hand held stick. Then the nurtrients get there as well as the flavor. OR, sautee veggies and roasted chicken bones ( drumsticks and thighs) and make a great stock. Also, I have also make a stock using a ham bone (much coveted in our family). You can also add all sorts of corn...white shoepeg, cream corn, niblets and regular from a can...ALL are Yummy.

Belle
I use a ham bone for the stock for split yellow pea soup....and it is soooooo good! :)

darkeyes
Mar 22, 2007, 7:10 PM
I use a ham bone for the stock for split yellow pea soup....and it is soooooo good! :) Cut the drivel bout recipes Flex..get ova ere an cook me summat nice an me givya a pressie!!! :bigrin:

onewhocares
Mar 22, 2007, 7:21 PM
Ok, Folks, I was reading this thread oh say at about a hour before dinner time. I had been out all day at meeting and well being the busy woman that I am. Saw this receipe and said...I can do that, heck I am a caterer. Well I did the recipe, but added a smoked ham bone and oh my gosh,,,,,It was devine. So.....THANK YOU.....Everyone loved it.

Belle

flexuality
Mar 22, 2007, 7:36 PM
Cut the drivel bout recipes Flex..get ova ere an cook me summat nice an me givya a pressie!!! :bigrin:

LOL!! driveL??? harumph!! Took me years to be able to make soup that didn't taste like piss water! LOL! :tong:

Pressies??? hmmm.....like pressies...... :bigrin: :bigrin:

My favourite thing to make for dinner tho is.......RESERVATIONS!!! :bigrin:

onewhocares
Mar 22, 2007, 7:45 PM
Just another note....I made a roux, well that is a fancy name for the mixture of equal parts of butter and flour. You melt the butter and stir in the flour to make a paste of sort. Let is cook for a few mins,,,then add in any COLD liquid. I used heavy cream and make something that was like the consistancy of pancake batter, then added the broth of the corn soup to temper it then dumped that back into the soup. Made it creamy and gave it depth. Also , I added ground thyme too.

Belle

flexuality
Mar 22, 2007, 7:49 PM
Just another note....I made a roux, well that is a fancy name for the mixture of equal parts of butter and flour. You melt the butter and stir in the flour to make a paste of sort. Let is cook for a few mins,,,then add in any COLD liquid. I used heavy cream and make something that was like the consistancy of pancake batter, then added the broth of the corn soup to temper it then dumped that back into the soup. Made it creamy and gave it depth. Also , I added ground thyme too.

Belle

I'm getting hungry now......that sounds like a great variation! I play around with recipes all the time....never the same twice! lol! :rolleyes:

I'm supposed to be at the store right now......lol!

onewhocares
Mar 22, 2007, 8:11 PM
Ok, I added the roux, and it has been cooking at a high temp for about ten mins, You need to do that to any soup that you add a roux to so that it cooks out the "floury" taste to it....Let it simmer and then bake some Texas Toasts, a nice fresh green salad...with a homemade oil and vinegar dressing, serve up the soup, and ENJOY.

Belle

onewhocares
Mar 22, 2007, 8:32 PM
Ok, PEOPLE, heads up......DO NOT CHAT ON LINE WHEN COOKING SOUP.

I FUCKING BURNED IT.

And well there is NO way to retrieve a scorched soup. Now the whole house smells. I am SO pissed at myself....I can not believe I did this. Well, then again...I have done this before. I tend to cook many meals at once. I remember when I was making Chicken Soup for our dear Used Bear and well I let the stock cook all night...almost burned the house down....

Well I shall have to try again another time. I hope you all have better luck than I have. Send me a sample...Belle,,,,Boston,,,USA

Belle

flexuality
Mar 22, 2007, 9:11 PM
Ok, PEOPLE, heads up......DO NOT CHAT ON LINE WHEN COOKING SOUP.

I FUCKING BURNED IT.

And well there is NO way to retrieve a scorched soup. Now the whole house smells. I am SO pissed at myself....I can not believe I did this. Well, then again...I have done this before. I tend to cook many meals at once. I remember when I was making Chicken Soup for our dear Used Bear and well I let the stock cook all night...almost burned the house down....

Well I shall have to try again another time. I hope you all have better luck than I have. Send me a sample...Belle,,,,Boston,,,USA

Belle

LMAO!!!!

Not at you Belle.....I'm laughing cuz I have done the SAME THING!!

I made mince tarts a while back.....then went to chat.......the kitchen is UPSTAIRS from the computer....so you know how long it takes for smoke to reach DOWNSTAIRS seeing as smoke rises...... :eek:

Mincemeat actually CAN be crispy......

From now on I'll have to issue a WARNING when posting recipes here....

DO NOT CHAT WHILE MAKING THIS

I think I'm just relieved that I am not the only one! :tong:

chook
Mar 23, 2007, 3:17 AM
Flex that recipe sounds real nice but I think my original Cockatoo Soup would beat it ;)

Cheers Chook :bigrin:

Solomon
Mar 23, 2007, 3:59 AM
umm... just to mention, when i learned to cook the soup, i used a crock pot.... but mom didn't always use a crock pot, they do take a bit longer to cook, and ya hafta really get the supersized deluxe model to feed everyone anyways lol.

darkeyes
Mar 23, 2007, 4:47 AM
umm... just to mention, when i learned to cook the soup, i used a crock pot.... but mom didn't always use a crock pot, they do take a bit longer to cook, and ya hafta really get the supersized deluxe model to feed everyone anyways lol.
K SOL.. u cook the soup wile Flex an me snuggle under the downie....an make it gud!!! :) :tong: :bigrin:

onewhocares
Mar 23, 2007, 5:35 PM
I miss my soup which I burnt. I dreampt about it...and well the Texas Toast that went with it. I gave up on that and am now making Pea Soup with a great smoked ham bone. Will keep you up to date on that. KNOW what...I blame the stove for burning the soup. If we had bought some cheap model and not that fancy gourmet stove that hubby had to have, my soup would never have burned.

Belle

flexuality
Mar 24, 2007, 1:52 AM
**sends Belle some chicken corn soup**

The pea soup sounds delicious! And I truly hope that it went much better than the other one did!

You're right....it was the stove. :tong:

What is Texas Toast? I've only ever seen thick sliced loaves of bread up here that are called Texas Toast...and it's just regular bread.

Think I'm gonna make a pot of chilli and this Texas Toast sounds like it might go well with that. Already got the salad. :)

ps. - ever burnt a pot of soup so bad that the pot got ruined? lol! I have. :eek:

flexuality
Mar 24, 2007, 9:17 PM
Flex that recipe sounds real nice but I think my original Cockatoo Soup would beat it ;)

Cockatoo???

Okay...this I gotta hear.....what's cockatoo soup?

Hope it's not your pets :eek: lol!

onewhocares
Mar 24, 2007, 10:58 PM
Flex,,,,

The Pea Soup turne out great. Did not burn that. Yes, Texas toast that I have are big ole pieces of seasoned bread you bake in the oven. If you are looking to make Chili check out Rachel Rays Autum Chili ( you can look it up on the FoodTV.com) It is made with three colored peppers, corn, ( have added black beans) andy kind of meat.,..I have made it with beef, venison, turkey and moose...Vension was the best. It calls for a can of beer as well as a bottle of smokey BBQ sauce. Enjoy.

Belle

chook
Mar 25, 2007, 3:50 AM
Flex in another thread about recipes in here I gave away my very secret recipe for cockatoo soup it was given to me by a drunk dieing stockman once when I was in the outback on a drunken shooting trip and I was sworn to secrecy but its just too good of a recipe to keep to myself so I thought I'd share it with the world.

flexuality
Mar 25, 2007, 4:11 AM
Flex in another thread about recipes in here I gave away my very secret recipe for cockatoo soup it was given to me by a drunk dieing stockman once when I was in the outback on a drunken shooting trip and I was sworn to secrecy but its just too good of a recipe to keep to myself so I thought I'd share it with the world.

**gone digging for cockatoo recipe in past threads.....**

If I am not back in a week, send out the drunken outback search party. :bigrin:

flexuality
Mar 25, 2007, 4:36 AM
**gone digging for cockatoo recipe in past threads.....**

If I am not back in a week, send out the drunken outback search party. :bigrin:

Call off the search party! :bigrin:

Chook....a cockatoo? a Swede? hmmm....I do know a Swede...but am fresh outta cockatoos....lol! Can I use any old exotic bird?

and does it hafta be a house brick? or will garden bricks do just as well?

:cool: :bigrin: :cool:

chook
Mar 25, 2007, 5:10 AM
Sorry Flex it has to be a genuine Australian cockatoo and definitely a house brick, this recipe just wouldnt be the same with substitutes.