PDA

View Full Version : What is your profession?

spoiledangel860505
Mar 17, 2007, 4:13 PM
For all of you guys that have careers, what are they?

I'm a child development intern on my college campus, just to make enough money to pay my one credit card bill and to shop for things I need and I'm a full time student. My mom works for Department of Human Services with foster children. My brother works at the county hospital, as a building service worker.

so, tell me what do you do for a living?

Just curious, don't need to be very specific if you don't want to be. :cool:

NorthBiEast
Mar 17, 2007, 4:36 PM
Yay for social workers! We're not all the big bad ogres people make us out to be. :bibounce: I do social work at a group home for teens

ambi53mm
Mar 17, 2007, 4:56 PM
Interior Designer fulltime
Health Advisor for a Weight Loss program part time
Chief cook and bottlewasher the rest of the time
Dream walker when I'm sleeping

Ambi :)

bm_jim
Mar 17, 2007, 5:13 PM
I get paid to play. I'm support for an ISP and work as a freelance Network Admin for local businesses. Love to play with PC's.

wildangel
Mar 17, 2007, 5:38 PM
I work for Section 8 under HUD. I inspect low-income houses.

Tom41bimwm
Mar 17, 2007, 5:40 PM
I'm a Human Resource Assistant for the Department of the Air Force.

Kiraya
Mar 17, 2007, 5:46 PM
I work in the conservation section for the city council and I'm a freelance web and graphic designer in my spare time.

GreenEyedLady(GEL)
Mar 17, 2007, 6:10 PM
Im a state corrections officer for the Michigan Dept of Corrections

snl4play
Mar 17, 2007, 6:20 PM
My wife and I are toy testers. We get to test all the new sextoys before they come out on the market.

Not really but wouldnt that be a hoot.lol

Diana_TS
Mar 17, 2007, 6:25 PM
Hi all, Information Technology here.

biwords
Mar 17, 2007, 6:57 PM
Technical writer.

RebekaLee
Mar 17, 2007, 7:02 PM
i'm a staffing consultant for a staffing service. my job is to find other ppl jobs!

meteast chick
Mar 17, 2007, 7:02 PM
After seeing some of these careers, I hesitated to put mine....mine's not so much a career as a job, but one I keep getting over and over...I'm a Customer Service Rep for one of America's leading Water Utilities. Yes, the kind of job that keeps being outsourced, but I'm not exactly shaking in my booties. I love helping people, it's in my blood and it's satisfying, so honestly if I didn't do that I'd probably be a social worker, or working with kids.

Ok I'm out,
luv and kisses,
xoxoxoxoxoxox
meteast

GreenEyedLady(GEL)
Mar 17, 2007, 7:17 PM
After seeing some of these careers, I hesitated to put mine....mine's not so much a career as a job, but one I keep getting over and over...I'm a Customer Service Rep for one of America's leading Water Utilities. Yes, the kind of job that keeps being outsourced, but I'm not exactly shaking in my booties. I love helping people, it's in my blood and it's satisfying, so honestly if I didn't do that I'd probably be a social worker, or working with kids.

Ok I'm out,
luv and kisses,
xoxoxoxoxoxox
meteast
Met as long as your happy with what your doing and being about to provide for the family, thats all that really matters :)

fortyniner1
Mar 17, 2007, 7:22 PM
Since I live near an abundance of woods and water, I was able to get a job at the local paper mill and I make paper, actually I take the mistakes out of the paper that is made and I make sure our customers get the best quality. The odors outside are horrible but it is the trade-off for a paycheck.

:tongue:

bohemian69
Mar 17, 2007, 7:31 PM
Warehouse Supervisor for a Contract Builder Supplier. (We sell, deliver & install appliances)

mistymockingbird
Mar 17, 2007, 7:36 PM
I work in the development department for a regional theatre. My title is Donor Relations Coordinator and my primary function is managing the donor database (gift tracking and acknowledgement, generating reports, statistical analysis, donor prospect research). Every one in our devo office helps out with special event planning and execution and we all give curtain speeches prior to productions.

snl4play
Mar 17, 2007, 7:40 PM
I guess were the worst people on here we the only ones who posted a joke instead of their J.O.B.'s so here goes. I am an international trainer for a restaraunt I go around the world training the new staff for the restaraunt before it opens. My husband is a High School Football and Baseball coach. Ok there we were serious for five minutes enough of that.lol

s_shunpike
Mar 17, 2007, 7:57 PM
I work for a nonprofit company that provides services for developmentally disabled adults here in Washington. We provide services ranging from part-time assistance in the home to 24 hour care, we assist with job placement and training. I am the Transportation Coordinator and Maintenance Man. My wife also works for the company as the Admin Assistant (she runs the office :bigrin: )

Azrael
Mar 17, 2007, 8:04 PM
Currently a prep cook at a tiki bar. When I'm through with school I'll be an A/C technician.

onewhocares
Mar 17, 2007, 8:13 PM
I am Belle, I am an event planner and caterer for my fun job. It is the most enjoyable but I do it not to make a living, but for extra money to keep our daughter in dancing school, art lesson, and summer camps.

The job that pays my health insurance is working for a real estate developer and construction company. We are in the mobile home business. I decorate the model houses and work in sales and in the office. It can be creative at times.

I am now getting into a new line of work, one which I was unsure if I had the talent for. I have always done professional makeup for people for weddings and parties and such. Well through my help in helping to transform my friend from a man into a woman, I have found a market that could use me. Actually, the response has been startling. So I am going to give it a whirl.

I also am a wife of a great guy and the proud mother of a wonderful, intelligent, talented daughter.

ladymozart
Mar 17, 2007, 8:37 PM
HI
I am a learning coach at a community college for students with disabilities and a private piano and theory teacher.
I am moving though so other than the music teaching I am soon to be unemployed.
ladymozart :bibounce:

texasman6172003
Mar 17, 2007, 9:36 PM
Hi y'all, Well for the last 27 almost 28 years i have been in the solid waste buisness. In other words im a trash man,sanitation engineer ,whatever you wanta call it,lol. Iknow its not a glamourous job,but someone has to do it,lol. For the last 11 years i have bben using an automated truck that has an arm that exstends out buy hydrualics that pick up the trash can.. Well thats what i do for a living!!!

TaylorMade
Mar 17, 2007, 10:29 PM
I am a student (Graphic arts Tech AS) and an assistant in the campus planning office. I do graphic design freelance . . .My avatar? I made that. :D

*Taylor*

shameless agitator
Mar 17, 2007, 10:30 PM
I actually make my living by living up to my name. I'm a professional political activist. I'm currently doing a contract with Environmental Action & will soon be doing one for the ACLU

the sacred night
Mar 17, 2007, 10:48 PM
I'm a student (English Major) and a manager of a fast food restaurant called Pita Pit. When I graduate, I hope either to become an editor full time or go on to grad school and possibly teach English at a University. I do freelance journalism in my spare time, and I write fiction & poetry but as of yet make no money doing that, though I'd like to.

SpaZZ
Mar 18, 2007, 12:24 AM
I'm starting as a photographer as a more permanent career choice. Only my 21st. I'm 47. I'm doing ok. :P It's really what I wanted to do when i was a kid. :banghead:

I'm soaring towards portraits and photojournalism. You can take a peek at my stuff here http://bicentral.atspace.com/photospage.htm

tink1978
Mar 18, 2007, 12:49 AM
I have one of the most difficult and challenging jobs on the earth but it is the most rewarding. I am a stay at home mom of 2 boys 4 and 2.

I am also a full time college student getting my BA in Business.

OH did I mention I was a Marine wife.
no my husband is not in Iraq or any dangerous place unless you consider Washington State dangerous:)

Tink

nothings5d
Mar 18, 2007, 1:49 AM
I get paid to play. I'm support for an ISP and work as a freelance Network Admin for local businesses. Love to play with PC's.

I don't get paid to play yet, but when I get out of college I will. I'm in a video game programming degree. 90% of programming is debugging, and 90% of debugging is testing. So 81% of my job will be playing the games I make. Fun times...

RebekaLee
Mar 18, 2007, 2:37 AM
I'm soaring towards portraits and photojournalism. You can take a peek at my stuff here http://bicentral.atspace.com/photospage.htm

i really like the pics!

also, i really like this thread...its been interesting to read!

spoiledangel860505
Mar 18, 2007, 2:39 AM
Now, if you were offered your dream job would you

A. Keep your current job?

OR

B. Take the dream job?

Honestly, if I was a teacher for kindergarten like I want to be, and I was offered a job as a speech thearpist (which would be my dream job, and if I already had the schooling for it) I would keep my current job. I know that teachers are well unpaid, and that's alright, because I think no amount of money can be compared to making a difference in our childrens lives.

I could always just change professions after I have taught for awhile, and go back to school and major in speech thearapy.

What would you do?

spoiledangel860505
Mar 18, 2007, 2:42 AM
i really like the pics!

also, i really like this thread...its been interesting to read!

Thanks, I thought it was a good idea, was going to post it awhile ago, but then "what's her name" started flaming me and others around me so I didn't.

entropy
Mar 18, 2007, 2:47 AM
I'm going to school for computer science. After I finish I'll start working full-time for a company that i've been interning for doing web design/development as well as system applications programming. I'm a geek, but I love it...

My dream job was flying an airplane, but that doesn't interest me too much anymore... it was fun to dream, but that wouldn't really make me nearly as happy as the job i figured out that i'd like when i got older

Solomon
Mar 18, 2007, 4:33 AM
i'm becoming a professional stock options trader and business owner and investor. and i work in a cold storage warehouse dealing with perishable foods part time 40+ hours a week. :cool:

FriedDuck
Mar 18, 2007, 4:56 AM
I work in restaurant as waitress.

Barejerrfla
Mar 18, 2007, 5:01 AM
Consultant, heavy highway construction, management, expeditor, etc...... lots of travel, usually somewhere I wouldn't pay to go to .

12voltman59
Mar 18, 2007, 7:10 AM
I have not had a full time, 9-5 job working for someone for about five years now--geez does time go by so fast!!!!

I currently do free lance writing, sell some of my abstract paintings every once in awhile and I do work in the summer powerwashing decks, driveways and the like and for a number of people--after powerwashing their decks--painting them with one sort of finish or another. I also do faux painting applications for clients such as sponging, ragging, sand textures etc.

I have liked this work so much that during this coming week--I am going to Louisville, Ky to take a week long training course in some very advanced faux finishing techniques from one of the top people in the industry--

When I am done with the program I am going to work some with someone who already does this work and get more experience at this high end level--and very soon will be starting out on my own--

My instructor has done work all around the world and some major past clients include country singer Reba McIntyre's home/studio complex in Nashville and the corporate headquarters of Papa John's Pizza in Louisville. His studio/school is an old retail buidling transformed to look like a Tuscan Villa.

I have also as of St. Pat's Day--officially begun work on a very cool non-fiction book project in which I interview people from a broad spectrum of life on what they do on and near the Ohio River in the Greater Cincinnati area.

For example--I will be interviewing the person known as the lock master who runs the US Army Corps of Engineers lock and dam near Cincy, some riverboat captains past and present, people who when children--lived at the site of one of the original wicket style dams once located near Cincy before it was superceded by the new modern lock/dam structure I mention above, the captain of a ferry boat near Cincinnati, some people who actually live on the river in house boats the year round and with some folks who simply come to the river to party and play in the summer---I am also interviewing a number of Cincinnati area musicians who base much of their music about the river.

I will also weave in bits of river history and lore relating to the Greater Cincinnati area and the Ohio River to feature things like the river's one time role as the boundary that marked freedom for escaped slaves as they made their way along the "underground railroad"

The tenative title for this book is: "River Rats: Modern Tales of Life on the Ohio River" (if you wonder if calling someone a river rat is a bad thing--no it is not--it is a kind of badge of honor--sort of like many here like to be called queer and own that word with pride) I'm a river rat myself in my own way--I have been on that river on and off over the course of my life since I was just a very young boy and have a deep and abiding love of the river and its history.

So--I have my plate full---if anyone wants to have some really cool faux finishing work done in their homes or businesses--give me a shout.

An example of what I will be able to do---I will be able to make a wall or walls look like a 15th century Irish castle or a Tuscan Villa--once I have completed my work in Louisville and have a portfolio of sample boards--I will have pictures available that I can send....let me know....

And once I get some money rolling in--I can use that to do two things I have wanted to do but the money was a bit tight to do so--learn basic welding techniques so I can do metal work and also learn to blow glass in order to include glass work in the 3 dimensional art I want to be able to create--I figure at some point I will experiement and get crazy to create a wall technique that incorporates not only the faux finishing techniques, but also metal and glass---along with adding either/or--neon and LED lighting systems...

And--I already have some ideas for some books beyond the one I am getting underway on now.....

my-00-stang
Mar 18, 2007, 9:14 AM
i am a sheriffs deputy and love my job, it is challenging and fun and can be a pain in the butt all at the same time.

Enoll
Mar 18, 2007, 10:06 AM
Well right now all I do is work in one of my families' video stores part time but if all goes well i'll be a mortician assistant.
Fingers crossed. :bigrin:

chops100
Mar 18, 2007, 10:50 AM
hi iam a 4th year student doctor

NWMtnHawk
Mar 18, 2007, 12:59 PM
Really, really GREAT thread/post ! Awesome! Absolutely loved putting jobs/careers with profiles/fellow peeps that I've been reading posts from, sometimes chatting with, and getting to know somewhat, for quite awhile now. Totally interesting reading I thought, right on!

NWMtnHawk
Mar 18, 2007, 1:04 PM
DOH! Here's my sign. Got so wrapped up in the thread and my reply of how cool it was, totally forgot to put mine in! LOL I'm a mechanic on aircraft; spent over a decade working on helicopters, mostly field mechainc working on choppers doing wildland-fire-fighting and heli-logging, as well as news choppers the local news channels. The last 5 years + I've changed somewhat to working in a shop environment as a corporate jet mechainc. Dirty, challenging and sometimes physically demanding work but keeps me thinking and I love the challenge.

bi-robin-calif
Mar 18, 2007, 1:21 PM
unless you consider Washington State dangerous:)

It *is* dangerous! My ex lives there! :eek:

Mine's easy: unemployed. But my c.v. reads like the "About The Author" section at the back of a novel, so maybe I should write a book:

-recreational vehicle service technician
-computer Systems Engineer
-computer help desk
-photographer
-videographer
-municipal policeman
-cartographer
-park ranger
-database analyst & programmer
-journalist
-computer consultant

Most of the time, though, I generally list either "Maven" or "Underemployed Renaissance Man."

Cerealk
Mar 18, 2007, 1:37 PM
Student! The best profession ever, even tho you have to pay for it. The income is imo pretty much invaluable.

Eventually, thats all to become electric engineer. I will probably end up in the informatic branch somewhere, building robots and stuff (Artificial Intelligence is what I want to work on the most).

macman885
Mar 18, 2007, 1:39 PM
I am a production manager in a small print shop. I have been in this field for 30 years

12voltman59
Mar 18, 2007, 2:09 PM
Well-as usual --I had quite a ramble on what I am doing now--

in my past--I have a varied CV too

Military vet, adult felony probation/parole officer---but over the years I did about everything imaginable from working on a Shrimp boat, worked in paper mills, foundries, machine shops, an auto assembly plant (Honda), restaurants, wine-beer and liquor sales at both the retail and wholesale levels, car, boat, boat, appliance/electronics sales, bartender

Pretty much the gamet--some lasted awhile, others were kind of short lived--like when I was in college just for short periods to make some dough.....

frenchygolf
Mar 18, 2007, 2:24 PM
I am retired AF and soon to be retired federal worker..... yeah

bi-robin-calif
Mar 18, 2007, 3:52 PM
(Artificial Intelligence is what I want to work on the most).
Excellent idea, when you look at the world today and quickly realize that so-called "natural intelligence" doesn't seem to be working...

Herbwoman39
Mar 18, 2007, 3:53 PM
I am one of those jack of all trades types, too. I've never really found what one would consider a "calling" until 2 years ago. I've done veterinary work on my parents ranch, been a photo-journalist, customer service work, restaurant management, hypnotherapy and graphic designer.

When we moved to Florida 2 years ago I finally took the time to pursue an old passion of mine: Herbalism, and discovered that I was fascinated and enthralled by natural medicine. So I did some in-depth research and found an accredited school, the Australasian College of Health Sciences (ACHS.edu) and am now in my second year of pursuing my Masters credential in western herbalism.

A little over a year ago, just after I started with ACHS, a friend called me and said that a woman she knew was selling her aromatherapy business. After a couple of meetings with the owner, Ken and I decided to purchase the company, which has been around over 15 years now. So, we have been the proud owners of Hands-On AromaTherapy (www.handsonaromatherapy.com) for a little over a year now and we LOVE it! We sell wholesale essential oils and aromatherapy supplies direct to the public.

LOL! So the short answer is that I am an herbalist and aromatherapist who sells wholesale essential oils and aromatherapy products :bigrin:

In response to the 'dream job 'question: I *have* my dream job. I work for myself doing something I love. The only way it can get better is when we start making more money.

jedinudist
Mar 18, 2007, 4:15 PM
jack of all trades - lol

Accomplished retail manager, trainer, etc.

My chosen areas are Photographer and Artist.

Cerealk
Mar 18, 2007, 5:04 PM
Excellent idea, when you look at the world today and quickly realize that so-called "natural intelligence" doesn't seem to be working...

Nah, its just my way of better understand my own intelligence and thinking mechanism. If I can "create" something close to it, then my perception of myself is pretty accurate. I dont have high hopes of success, but it would have quite an impact on our societies.

Maybe its possible to implant those new brains in people who desperately need one...

jamiehue
Mar 18, 2007, 5:06 PM
I train racehorses.

darkeyes
Mar 18, 2007, 5:08 PM
Not as someone once PM'd me, a whore I can tell you that!

Polar Bear
Mar 18, 2007, 6:00 PM
For all of you guys that have careers, what are they?

I'm a child development intern on my college campus, just to make enough money to pay my one credit card bill and to shop for things I need and I'm a full time student. My mom works for Department of Human Services with foster children. My brother works at the county hospital, as a building service worker.

so, tell me what do you do for a living?

Just curious, don't need to be very specific if you don't want to be. :cool:

I'm a teacher at a community college. I teach a technical course called aviation maintenance technology. Basically, I teach them to keep big planes from falling on little houses. Some of the courses I teach are:

Technical math
Physics
basic electricity
powerplant electronics
communication electronics

etc etc. pays very well...benefits even better.

John :bipride:

NorthBiEast
Mar 18, 2007, 6:01 PM
I train racehorses.
:offtopic: I know, but my mum's standardbred is probably foaling tonight! So exciting! :bounce:

donlemunyon
Mar 18, 2007, 6:41 PM
oh...hell...change diapers :(
....get to play with children all day. :-)

gjmwbimale48
Mar 18, 2007, 7:00 PM
I'm a designer/craftsman....

I design and build architectural components, cabinetry, and furniture for the very high-end residential market....
I have done commissions all over the rocky mountain west and the desert southwest.... a lot of which has been for what you might consider to be famous people.

Seigun
Mar 18, 2007, 9:09 PM
"Profession" is a word that has never applied to me, ever.
I've held down jobs based either on skill sets I already had, or simply based on the need to have a job, period.

Right now, I work at a video store, which is the latter of the two.
I'm also a student; I recently entered art school.

I'm building on my past art/design/graphic design experience, as well as making a steady stream of professional contacts (Heck, I just joined my local Art League! Talk about exposure! ^_^ ). Eventually, I'll begin a studio with a partner of mine who is on a similar track.

I'm pretty excited about it. :bigrin: This entire professional artist thing is easily classified under "dream-job", but it's worth working toward something I want to do instead of wondering for the rest of my life if I could have ever pulled it off. :tongue:

spoiledangel860505
Mar 18, 2007, 9:29 PM
I'm glad that everyone is sharing what they do for a living, its so interesting to read and I have learned alot about the professions/jobs that all of you have, some I could consider doing myself, but I think I'll stick to my future profession, teaching.

:cool:

wingnut
Mar 18, 2007, 10:07 PM
Med tech in the US Air Force. Also going to school full time for psychology.

bigirl_inwv
Mar 18, 2007, 10:08 PM
Operations manager at ESPN radio. Looooove it.

RebekaLee
Mar 18, 2007, 10:25 PM

OR

B. Take the dream job?

I would take my dream job! I love my new career path I'm on..but my dream would be to be a professional dancer. Dancing all day long...yeah, i'd take that no question!

Jeff1229
Mar 18, 2007, 10:48 PM
Mail clerk for a local insurance company. It's not a job, it's an adventure!!!!!!!!!! :crosseye:

TaylorMade
Mar 19, 2007, 1:04 AM

OR

B. Take the dream job?

Honestly, if I was a teacher for kindergarten like I want to be, and I was offered a job as a speech thearpist (which would be my dream job, and if I already had the schooling for it) I would keep my current job. I know that teachers are well unpaid, and that's alright, because I think no amount of money can be compared to making a difference in our childrens lives.

I could always just change professions after I have taught for awhile, and go back to school and major in speech thearapy.

What would you do?

Gerard Butler's cock-warmer or file clerk?

This is a choice?

*Taylor*

mistymockingbird
Mar 19, 2007, 1:17 AM
To answer the second question, I'd keep my job. I'm already living my dream. I'm supporting myself financially (with benefits and 403b even) while working in the arts. I've got longer term goals of getting a master's degree in performing arts management and running my own theatre again someday, but what I'm doing now is setting me up for that. I'm lucky that I've always known what I wanted to do and have been working in my industry in one way or another since I was 14.

pasco_lol_cpl
Mar 19, 2007, 1:22 AM
Former network engineer here for big blue and ma bell. These days Im the owner of an architectural measuring firm. We draw floor plans of existing buildings for who ever needs em. I love it. I always wanted to be an architect, but spent my high school years concentrating on football and partying. Then I wound up getting my BS in computer science and honestly, at 36, I dont feel like going back to school. So this is as close as I'll get and I love it.

Flounder1967
Mar 19, 2007, 1:52 AM
I'm a contract mechcanical designer specializing in large off highway harvesting equipment. That all translates into CAD (computer aided drafter) designer for compbines.

Most of my designs are used in machines made around the world. It is very close to my dream job.

Some of the other jobs I'vd had were bartender/cook, car porter/detailer, Irishman (drunkered).

12voltman59
Mar 19, 2007, 2:20 AM
To answer the question about doing your dream job--I think I am finally on the threshold of my version of a dream job---mine is a bit multi-track but they are really just pieces in a big puzzle.

Well over a decade ago now--I vowed to change the way I made my living from simply being another cog in someone else's system and to do as the late Joseph Campbell told Bill Moyers in those series of PBS interview programs Moyers did with Dr. Campbell in the final years of his life--Campbell said that people should "follow their bliss."

That got me to thinking what my bliss was--I decided it was pursuing things that fell into the realm of creative endeavors to not simply be a clock puncher.

Bill Moyers just a few years later did another series of programs and follow up books on a new track--in this series--Moyers spoke to top creative people in a variety of areas and called this series--"A World of Ideas"

That also got me to think as well that I had to once again-strike out on my own----to make my way in this world doing things that were in "The World of Ideas"

I figure that one of the three areas I am now actively pursuing will bring me "the big payoff" and be the main area of my financial sourcing and whichever one it is--will help make the others possible---

I also hope that by doing those three things--other opportunities and possibilities will present themselves.

Solomon
Mar 19, 2007, 4:34 AM
I work in restaurant as waitress.

kewl, i've worked in restaraunts too what kind of restaraunt do you work in?

leizy
Mar 19, 2007, 6:05 PM
I'm a clinical psychologist. I specialize in working with adolescents and run a general behavioral health agency.

Dream job? I dunno - things are pretty systematically challenging (state issues, financial problems, lots of chaos) right now. Honestly, I was tempted by a truck I saw the other day, where the driver goes all around the Southwest, repairing and maintaining electric bulls. Understand, I don't listen to country-western (except if you count Buffett and Alison Krauss) and I've never ridden a mechanical bull. But, I looked at that and said wow, that would be alot better than what I'm doing right now!

But, if somebody offered me a practice writing, and doing counseling with disabled kids, queers, bis and alternative marriages, I really might jump at it.

BTW - I note that a lot of people responding are in "caring" jobs. I wonder if that has to do with being bi, the sample of people on this forum, or just the people choosing to respond...

cheers.
david

Trinity-Fl
Mar 19, 2007, 6:47 PM
Thank you all for sharing. (I really wanted the toy testing job!)

My fem partner and I have a small videography production company in Central Florida. We do everything from weddings and other speical events to commercials and web distribution. A second part of the business is media transfer --- 8mm film and tape, VHS tape etc to DVD. We have a small studio. We're a Mac shop using Final Cut Pro Studio for editiing. We've been very happy doing this but as in all things, being self employed is sometimes a challenge.

texasman6172003
Mar 19, 2007, 6:48 PM
Hey y'all, Well as far as my current job,y'all know about that one. But if things had worked out the way id wanted them too i would have been a ,Pro Baseball Player and played in the Major Leauges. As alot of you know i love the game of baseball,everything about the playing part of it. Ido nt agree with a lot of the politics involved in it,but i do so love the game..Anyway that would be my choice,lol...

genera101.2
Mar 19, 2007, 8:12 PM
Yay for social workers! We're not all the big bad ogres people make us out to be. :bibounce: I do social work at a group home for teens

I’m a social worker too. I like it, it’s hard and I will probably stick with it for a while because the state will pay for me to get my master’s degree.

imtiffanys
Mar 19, 2007, 8:17 PM
My Boyfriend and I are truck drivers..
Shut up stupid "it's a trucker thing"

Rocsteady
Mar 19, 2007, 8:28 PM
Ok ok I'm a standup philosopher (A B*llSh*t artist) thank you Mel Brooks :bigrin:
but seriously...
I'm a Gas Turbine Operator for an electric company based out of NYC. In basic terms I generate electricity which is supplied to the power grid. (No the blackout was not my fault... I was off that day) :rolleyes:

bigregory
Mar 19, 2007, 10:36 PM
Building renovator

onewhocares
Mar 21, 2007, 7:22 PM
Volty,

Glad to hear that everything is starting to come together for you. One day we all will look forward to reading your book. Kudos to you my friend.

Belle

drdrcusibb
Mar 21, 2007, 8:54 PM
Rock hound here...geologist.

Danielle B
Mar 21, 2007, 9:18 PM
I'm a combination of social worker/paralegal/librarian (it's the government- if they could get me to be the dentist and doctor, they'd do that, too). However, the social work job is just burning me out (I've been in "caring" professions for the past 10 years and I'm just done), so I'm going back to school for my librarian degree :)

FalconAngel
Mar 21, 2007, 10:04 PM
I am a delivery driver on my day job while trying to start up a chainmaille (jewlery, armour, club wear, etc.) business so that I can be my own boss.

My wife works in travel.

DanyGirl
Mar 22, 2007, 1:59 AM
Hello all,

At present I am a Master's of Social Work student specializing in military populations and combat trauma. My plan is to be a social work officer with the Canadian Forces. Before social work I was training to be a bush pilot.

As for the dream job, I think I would stick with what I am doing for now but would consider it in 7 years when my CF contract is up.

Reprob8
Mar 27, 2007, 1:39 AM
I actually make my living by living up to my name. I'm a professional political activist. I'm currently doing a contract with Environmental Action & will soon be doing one for the ACLU

I told you that one day you're going to get the whole damn family on a watch list.

Reprob8
Mar 27, 2007, 1:41 AM
I am a Stationary engineer, all that means is that I work in a shore bound steam plant, prior to that I was a Boiler Technician in the USN.

mindfinding
Mar 27, 2007, 2:02 AM
2 jobs,

1. Construction Worker.
2. Hand to hand combat instructor.

chook
Mar 27, 2007, 2:13 AM
I'm sooooooo jealous you all seem to have great jobs compared to mine.......Picking the fly shit out pepper :banghead:

Cheers Chook..... :bigrin:

Keliana
Mar 27, 2007, 4:23 AM
I'm a former professional dancer...Polynesian to be exact. We danced mostly to Hawaiian and Tahitian hulas, but also to other polynesian island styles.

Other jobs I've done, nursing, paramedic, make-up artist, model.

warm heart
Mar 27, 2007, 4:55 AM
Hey all,

Awesomely interesting thread, we all so come from a wide range of professions

Well for me .... I am a university lecturer....I teach mental health/ psychiatric nursing to third year nursing students..... I love it and it is incredibly rewarding

Cheers and bless all
Warm heart :bipride:

cumposer
Mar 27, 2007, 2:58 PM
Hey all,

Awesomely interesting thread, we all so come from a wide range of professions

Well for me .... I am a university lecturer....I teach mental health/ psychiatric nursing to third year nursing students..... I love it and it is incredibly rewarding

Cheers and bless all
Warm heart :bipride:

I´m a physician. And Musician, too.

TashaSW
Mar 27, 2007, 3:00 PM
I just got a job as a cashier at the Grocery Store.... Fun lol

Tasha

Tommy2020
Mar 27, 2007, 3:18 PM
Independent jeweler working only in precious metals and stones.
Tommy2020

sexybicplinwv
Mar 27, 2007, 4:37 PM
I have all kinds of job's, For am a Mother thats the best job in the would L.O.L.(((Always be true to yourself))) :female:

NothingToSeeHere
Mar 27, 2007, 6:11 PM
I'm Batman!

:)

Geek here, I knew I want to be a software developer since I was about 6 years old and never looked back. It's the place I feel most confident. I love to create things w/ my mind; nothing more satisfying than starting w/ an empty project and ending up seeing it come to life. It's a great high!

rutgerberit
Mar 27, 2007, 6:21 PM
Nu-uh, I'm Baman! :tong:

Picking the fly shit out pepper :banghead:

There's a job lik that!? :eek: Cool!

Me, I'm a student, currently doing my 3rd year out of 4 (or 5, it dependes - don't ask...) on an education that very losely translates to Culture, Society and Medial Expressions. My theoretical field is Technology and Culture (= analyze popular science and pop culture = watch Star Trek :tong: ) and my two media areas are Exhibitions and Hypermedia. I won't dwell into that, it's complicated enough to explain in my native tongue... I think my title will be something like Media producer when I'm through... :cool: But I don't know yet what I wanna be when I grow up...

darkeyes
Mar 27, 2007, 6:24 PM
Not profession...job..work in local government for now..an loathe it! :(

NothingToSeeHere
Mar 27, 2007, 6:26 PM
EDIT: Oops, didn't see that you were from SWEDEN. I guess that would be a long commute. :P

Nu-uh, I'm Baman! :tong:

How dare you?!?

Me, I'm a student

Go to RU, I presume? I did my time (sentence?) there. One question for you; Have you gotten the famous "RU SCREW" yet? I didn't get it until my Senior year!

I wish I was there this year tho. The football team is finally respectable and I missed out! I could FEEL the energy pouring outta Busch campus during that Louisville game. WOW, that was magical; Gotta go down as my all-time favorite sports moment (ok, top 3 ... "Scott Norwood Wide Right" is the best!)

Good luck w/ Finals! And whatabout the girls in the Final Four! Gooooooooooo KNIGHTS! w00t!

rutgerberit
Mar 27, 2007, 6:37 PM
Haha, 'tis OK. :) I used google for the RU SCREW, so I can see how my screen name confused you... :tong:

And as for sports, I tend to stay as far away as possible. Unless it involves men in tights and/or some kind of fighting... :cool:

Frodo
Mar 27, 2007, 6:48 PM
...uh...

bit unconventional maybe lol...well, I trained and worked as a dancer for classical ballet and contemporary dance...I did some physical theatre work and musicals, too...that was before my transitioning. At the moment I'm back at school trying to get a degree that will get me into medical school :bigrin:

wanderingrichard
Mar 28, 2007, 12:53 AM
Mercenary....i fix machines of war

slipperybird
Mar 28, 2007, 2:00 PM
still in school, learning house carpentry.
will be acquiring some money for it this summer though. yay!

taz67156
Mar 28, 2007, 7:50 PM
hey everyone for about 5 years I was working as an automotive technician/ tire man I was also about to get my ASE certification when I had to stop working for the company that got most of my time, but now I'm working at home on computers and cars for extra cash.

taz67156

Michael623
Mar 28, 2007, 7:55 PM
Independent Fee Real Estate Appraiser

Lisa (va)
Mar 29, 2007, 1:13 AM
For awhile now I am a stay at home mom (1 daughter ), my hats off to Tink taking care of two. Not the easiest but quite rewarding.

Prior to our child I worked as a nurse for a private firm that staffed an Assisted Living Facility. Not quite the same as a nursing home, the folks there are still independent mostly and some of our residents are short term recovering from a hospital stay yet not quite ready to be home alone. And yes I loved that job and it is also my dream job. The only nursing I do now is when I volunteer my help at the free clinic once a week to help those folks that have no insurance.

Lisa

hugs n kisses

hounddog44
Mar 29, 2007, 3:03 AM
I'm a baker at a casino. love all the sweet things in life

Abbey Road
Mar 29, 2007, 4:40 PM
I`m a Health Care Support Worker in a Hospital & love what I do. :bibounce:

tydwater51
Mar 29, 2007, 4:59 PM
Clinical Social Worker

FLapple
Mar 29, 2007, 5:06 PM
I am an elementary school teacher - this is my 7th year teaching in an urban school and I absolutely love it. I have taught 1st, 2nd, and am currently teaching 4th grade.

I am working on my master's in elementary education too...slowly :)

Elementary education is actually my second career...I'm a trained classical musician (viola) and sometimes still play professionally.

Oh, I am doing my dream job...wouldn't have it any other way! Life is too short not to do what you are meant to do :) It just takes time to figure out your calling.

miller lite man
Mar 29, 2007, 6:08 PM
I'm "custodian / maintenance" at a truck stop in town. It pays the bills,and I talk to people from all over the USA, and even overseas.

shadowsaffinity
Mar 29, 2007, 11:18 PM
i'm an elementary esl (english as a second language) teacher at a public school in brooklyn. i'm also a listings editor for a newspaper. i am thinking about going back to school for another masters in social work though. i love my volunteer work so much more than my job. teaching is fine, but just not for me forever.

spoiledangel860505
Mar 31, 2007, 1:10 AM
I am an elementary school teacher - this is my 7th year teaching in an urban school and I absolutely love it. I have taught 1st, 2nd, and am currently teaching 4th grade.

Elementary education is actually my second career...I'm a trained classical musician (viola) and sometimes still play professionally.

Oh, I am doing my dream job...wouldn't have it any other way! Life is too short not to do what you are meant to do :) It just takes time to figure out your calling.

I don't think I would want to teach 4th grade, or higher. My major is liberal studies but I want to teach Kindergarten or 1st grade. I love kids, plan to have 4 of my own and adopt too.
Another dream job I would like to have is to have a group home or be a foster parent...the County of Kern here where I live pays 5000 dollars a month for each child to be in a group home, if you have all girls and there's 5 girls for a year, well you do the math its a lot of money, to me anyways lol, and the experience would be rewarding to know that you are helping out children that need a place to stay til their parents decide to get their act together.

All these diverse jobs, its great that there's so many.

maxtor
Mar 31, 2007, 1:35 AM
i am retired from the army. 26 years served and retired when i was 45. i am a professional small engine mechanic also.

slaton44
Mar 31, 2007, 10:28 AM
For many years, an American diplomat woking primarily in the Middle East; then a foreign policy consultant working with Arab governments and private sector companies. Now a semi-retired housepainter and fixer-upper in the Netherlands.

imtiffanys
Mar 31, 2007, 1:02 PM
Well my job would be bringing everyone there goods. I drive the roads in my big rig making sure everyone is fed, clothed, have nice things, and drive there big flashy cars. I love my job never in one place at one time.. get to wake up in a different place, never have a boss over my shoulder any more. and most of all seeing those hooters and nice legs in those little cars. :bibounce:

hotbio
Apr 1, 2007, 8:52 AM
iI am a dialysis tech, and i love my job, and the people i work with. :bipride: :)

nyabn_webmaster
Apr 1, 2007, 2:41 PM
We area actually an ever-changing group of people who volenteer our time as the "computer department" for our local Bi organization [the New York Area Bisexual Network (NYABN) (http://www.nyabn.org)]

Currently we are a couple of Computer People, a Party/Event Planner and a MC/Stand-up Comedian (http://www.myspace.com/funny_bi_nature_prod) (he's very funny!).

Bi_Jay
Apr 2, 2007, 4:48 AM
I work for comcast, so just call me "the cable guy".

kneadingtom
Apr 2, 2007, 10:11 AM
I am a professional Massage Therapist! ;)

LoveBiker
Apr 2, 2007, 2:33 PM
I have been an Police Officer for 20 yrs in a beautiful environment of a 2000 yr old town. :cop:

Lots of work and lots learned. TRUCK load of experiences made me what I am now. :compuser:

Computer specialist and Business Process Management specialist.
Scientific Database Engineer and Object Oriented Programmer.

I do have 20 yrs experience in Hard and Software :eek:

Own my own business and work around the world so get around a bit.

Specialties: PEOPLE.... in all forms, colors, races and demands. :color: LISTENING what they express and not always what they say. Love to watch people.

In an other thread I wrote that my second job probably is being a biker. And I do instruct riders on the "wheels" on how to drive safe... BUT FAST.

Also artistically busy. Like to use the airbrush as my expression :rainbow:

Have MANY talents I use. Know what I can NOT do also.. Hire people for that :)

spoiledangel860505
Apr 14, 2007, 8:33 PM

I can't wait to be a teacher, I think it would be a very rewarding profession to help children learn the things they need to excel in middle and high schools.

California desparately needs more teachers and its so sad that they don't get paid enough for all the hard work that they do.

Dr.StrangeLove
Apr 14, 2007, 8:53 PM
Student of East Asian medicine, as opposed to an East Asian medical student. I study the finer points of sticking pins into people.

Lee in TN
Apr 14, 2007, 9:34 PM
Have worked for Walmart for nearly 3 years...overnight stocker, but Monday I'm the new produce manager!!!

Doggie_Wood
Apr 14, 2007, 10:43 PM
It started a very long time ago - That is as far as I have gotten on my new novel. LOL as you can see, I am NOT a writer.

Professions - I've had several in past years . Law Enforcement/Dog Handler (K9) - Resturaunt Managment - Customer Service to assist individuals/families in finding new housing - diesel & special equipment maintenence.
The profession that got me to where I am today, and I wouldn't change one single thing, was a professional drunk and druggie. Because of those experiences and finally hitting bottom, I am alive today and give thanks to the great architect of the universe that I have been clean and sober for 17 years come May 9th.
But the path I have been on for the past 10 years is a skilled trade not very many can get training for - I am an Electrical Engineer/Field Specialist installing, repairing and training in the operation of industrial high voltage/high frequency osillating electromagnetic field generators. I absolutely love not being tied to a desk. I've had the opportunity to travel all over the US, Mexico, Canada, twice to China and Europe, Germany, Holland, France, Switzerland, Japan, Singapore and Austria. All on company business - so I guess that I pretty much have my dream job. I make decent money, not as much as I would like but it pays the bills, and I get to travel on someone else's dime.

But what I would really and truely love to do is win the powerball lotery and take every one on this site to dinner (or lunch) ....... lol

:doggie: