PDA

View Full Version : Another Health Risk

zyzygy
Mar 15, 2007, 9:38 AM
Most people these days know that the Human Papilloma Virus is transmitted to women by men during sex and is the cause of Cervical Cancer.

Well it turns out that the same changes that occur in the cells of the cervix can also occur in the tissues of the anus for those who indulge in anal sex, and this can progress in some cases to anal cancer.

Sorry to be a downer, but I thought you'd like to know.

I heard about this on a local radio program. The audio can be downloaded for the next four weeks from the Health Report site (http://abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/default.htm) and there is a transcript there as well.

Regards

Steve

Daisy999
Mar 15, 2007, 7:10 PM
this is why I got the hpv shot and why I think that women (of all ages/sizes, backgrounds) should get it too.

Solomon
Mar 16, 2007, 3:39 AM
this is why I got the hpv shot and why I think that women (of all ages/sizes, backgrounds) should get it too.

i thought you said that bush wants to dominate people? have ya looked in the mirror LATELY??

NorthBiEast
Mar 16, 2007, 7:03 PM
I have to agree with Daisy on this one that it would be in the best interests of any sexually active female (or male, if they can have the same vaccine) to research and consider taking it. Likewise, I think it would be in people's best interest to quit smoking and wear their safety belts. I do not feel it is in anyone's best interests (especially my own) to stress about everyone who does not take the above actions.

Her response was appropriate to THIS thread, why drag the negativity around? :cop:

Herbwoman39
Mar 16, 2007, 9:02 PM
I've got to disagree about the vaccine. How much long term research has been done regarding its side effects? Do we know what preservatives are used in the vaccine? What are the statistics regarding the success rate once vaccinated?

What it boils down to is "how safe is it REALLY?" The wonderful, trust-worthy government (note the dripping sarcasm), has been known to be wrong about vaccines before. For instance, the anti-typhoid vaccine that caused a new strain called paratyphoid. Or maybe the pertusis vaccine that can cause SIDS.

All I'm saying is that you should know what's being put in your body before running out and getting a "miracle cure" because someone else said so.

NorthBiEast
Mar 16, 2007, 9:20 PM
I absolutely agree! That's why I said everyone should research and consider it.

Personally, I have not, nor will I get it. I am at a higher level of risk of complications from the vaccine than I am of contracting HPV.

Many vaccines seem to have a "shelf life" of 10 years. After that, they are less effective. By that point, the disease they were designed to treat has changed. For example, a 6 year old with chicken pox, no big deal; a 16 year old with chicken pox is in the ICU; and nobody wants shingles (which is like grown up chicken pox) I'm not going to allow my child to get the chicken pox vaccine, even if it means I have to home school him.

:soapbox:

(I know this sounds very different from what I said in my first post, but what works for me rarely works for others. Knowledge is choice, choice is power.)