PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 bisexual movies.

DiamondDog
Mar 13, 2007, 3:17 AM
Here's a list of top 10 bisexual movies compiled by OutFilms.com

http://www.outfilms.com/top10bisexual.cfm

From the site: Bisexuals get no respect. Straight people wonder why they don't just go straight, and gay people wonder why they are pretending to be half and half. And despite the potential for drama, Hollywood doesn't do much with this genre.

10.water drops on burning rocks
9.I will survive
8.Borstal boy
7.sunday bloody sunday
6.midnight cowboy
5.Kinsey
4.Cabaret
3.My own Private Idaho
2.Y Tu Mama Tambien
1.Midnight Express

There's a film summary for each movie on the site.

How do you feel about this list? What should be added/taken off? What's on your top 10 list for bi films or movies that depict/talk about it?

I'm kinda surprised that the movie about Frida Kahlo called Frida isn't on there and neither are Kevin Smiths' Chasing Amy, Brokeback Mountain, or the film adaptation of D.H. Lawrence's novel 'Women in Love'. I've never seen it but I've been told that the BBC adaptation of 'Portrait of a Marriage' is a good representation too but that the US version has sex scenes censored out while the UK version doesn't.

12voltman59
Mar 13, 2007, 4:35 AM
I agree with most of that list DD--I loved Y Tu Mama Tambien and I agree they were remiss in not including "Frida" about Frida Kahlo starring Selma Hayek as Frida and Albert Molina as Diego Rivera---Hayek not only starred in that film, she helped write, produce and direct the film as well.

One film the compliers of that missed was "Henry and June" (1990). The film was about controversial author Henry Miller (Tropic of Cancer) and also highlighted the controversial French author Anais Ninn, who was a bisexual.

This movie was one of Uma Thurman's first roles in a major motion picture. She played Miller's wife June and the film details the triangle relationship of Miller, June and Nin and some of the personal struggles Miller went through during the period he wrote "Tropic" --a book that was censored in many places including the US for many years due to its erotic subject matter.

The film was an Oscar nominee that year and it played a role in Hollywood revamping the ratings system. It is a pretty seminal film for that reason and for its eroticism--why they failed to mention that film in their top ten is beyond me.

IanBorthwick
Mar 13, 2007, 2:07 PM
I know it's "Top Ten", but might I add Velvet Goldmine to the list?

Devils Advocate
Mar 13, 2007, 5:45 PM
I dont disagree with Outfilms' top 10 (although I haven't seen most of them) but here is my personal top 10, in no particular order:

1. Gia
2. A Home at the End of the World
3. Dreamers
4. Henry and June
5. Aimee and Jaguar
6. Wild Things (the oringinal with Neve Campbell)
7. Bound
8. Splendor
9. Orlando
10. Rules of Attraction

:devil:

GreenEyedLady(GEL)
Mar 13, 2007, 5:48 PM
I just recently saw the movie "Imagine Me & You " it was absolutely amazing. That would be number 1 on my list ! In fact I think its my newest fav lol

sexybicplinwv
Mar 13, 2007, 6:25 PM
Thanks! GreenEyedLady(Gel) For the tip on this movie, I well be checking it out :female: :flag3:

happyjoe68
Mar 13, 2007, 6:26 PM
what about "performance with mick jagger, or "orlando"?

TaylorMade
Mar 13, 2007, 6:30 PM
I know it's "Top Ten", but might I add Velvet Goldmine to the list?

Uhmmmmm, Teh Bale. I'd eat him up with a spoon and suck him dry with a straw.

*Taylor*

toylovercmh
Mar 13, 2007, 7:11 PM
would someone please furnish a top 10 list of Adult bi movies? thanks

GreenEyedLady(GEL)
Mar 13, 2007, 7:40 PM
Thanks! GreenEyedLady(Gel) For the tip on this movie, I well be checking it out :female: :flag3:
Your welcome :) I know you'll love it as much as I do. I don't want to give the details away, but i will say this.. I honestly believe this only happens in the movies lol Life really isnt as simple as this movie projects. But it is all about love. Letting go of an old love, to give into a love that is out of this world :) Enjoy

ziggybabie
Mar 13, 2007, 11:38 PM
Why does every "bi" or "gay" movie have to be a coming out story or romantic comedy or emotional whatever? Why aren't there anything like horror, scifi, or action movies with bisexual main characters? Something different. Something stereotype breaking.

I get tired of most "bi" or "gay" movies, because of lack of variety.

Fire Lotus
Mar 13, 2007, 11:43 PM
The Rocky Horror Picture Show

How can anyone not have that in a bi movie list?

ziggybabie
Mar 13, 2007, 11:45 PM

I said the exact same thing. One of the greatest musicals and cult movies of all time.

Even if you don't like it, at least it's something more different or fun than most of the list.

DevilsReject
Mar 13, 2007, 11:50 PM
I Was Just Getting Ready To Put Rocky Horror Also, I Do Also Consider Interview With A Vampire To Have Some Very Heavy Bisexual Overtones,When Louis Meets Armondo....Aka Brad Pitt & Antonio Bendarez,I Found It Prettu Steamy At Least :flag3:

Herbwoman39
Mar 13, 2007, 11:50 PM
There was a movie that was mentioned on here quite a few months ago that I just loved as a bi film. It's called "Stage Beauty". The bisexuality is just a sub plot but this movie has THE best death scene I've ever seen in a movie.

DanyGirl
Mar 13, 2007, 11:52 PM
I have to second GEL on her pick! Imagine You and Me--FANTASTIC movie!

ziggybabie
Mar 13, 2007, 11:53 PM
I Was Just Getting Ready To Put Rocky Horror Also, I Do Also Consider Interview With A Vampire To Have Some Very Heavy Bisexual Overtones,When Louis Meets Armondo....Aka Brad Pitt & Antonio Bendarez,I Found It Prettu Steamy At Least :flag3:

I loved that movie. Yeah, it was pretty androgenous, in many points. Too bad Cruise couldn't play Lestat in the sequel, Queen of the Damned. I fucking absolutely hate when they get new actors for established characters.

Fire Lotus
Mar 13, 2007, 11:55 PM
I Do Also Consider Interview With A Vampire To Have Some Very Heavy Bisexual Overtones,When Louis Meets Armand....Aka Brad Pitt & Antonio Bandaras,I Found It Pretty Steamy At Least :flag3:

I most certainly agree with you there!

DiamondDog
Mar 14, 2007, 12:32 AM
Why does every "bi" or "gay" movie have to be a coming out story or romantic comedy or emotional whatever? Why aren't there anything like horror, scifi, or action movies with bisexual main characters? Something different. Something stereotype breaking.

I get tired of most "bi" or "gay" movies, because of lack of variety.

yeah most "gay" movies well, suck and don't really have anything to do with being queer. They're either really weird, really depressing, really cheap, or just plain bad.

In Hollywood gay men are either destined to die of AIDS or a gay bashing, end up alone, or are for comedic value. Bisexual men have to cheat/go crazy on a psychopathic spree, and the bisexual women can't commit or go crazy.

I saw a movie called "innocent" that was more about a family of immigrants from hong kong and Chinese culture than being queer, even though it was marketed as a "gay" movie.

"Innocent" had too familiar themes/scenarios like an older chickenhawk who's also a sugar daddy seducing a naieve young HS kid, public sex/cruising, and I thought it was ok up until the end when it just kinda well ended and it was a let down.

dans94
Mar 14, 2007, 2:19 AM
Originally Posted by ziggybabie

In the early '70s Robert Culp played a gay private eye, with Bill Cosby as his straight partner, in 'Hickey and Boggs'. Culp didn't play it stereotypical and there was only a short segment in which he gets out of bed with a guy and wipes his mouth. All in all, I think the films of the early '70s broke alot of ground in this area.

Enoll
Mar 14, 2007, 7:07 AM

I agree with that so much it's not even funny.
I can't recall many movie where it's just part of who a character is
and not some pivitol part of the story. Except for Frank N' Furter ofcourse.

ziggybabie
Mar 14, 2007, 4:18 PM
I've always found mainstream Hollywood to suck in general, anyway, even apart from that. Gay movies that are "different" wouldn't be as profitable. Which is my main problem with mainstream entertainment: the sacrifice of artistic integrity for mass appeal and marketability. Gotta respect the indie scene, for being above that crap, at least.

yeah most "gay" movies well, suck and don't really have anything to do with being queer. They're either really weird, really depressing, really cheap, or just plain bad.

In Hollywood gay men are either destined to die of AIDS or a gay bashing, end up alone, or are for comedic value. Bisexual men have to cheat/go crazy on a psychopathic spree, and the bisexual women can't commit or go crazy.

I saw a movie called "innocent" that was more about a family of immigrants from hong kong and Chinese culture than being queer, even though it was marketed as a "gay" movie.

"Innocent" had too familiar themes/scenarios like an older chickenhawk who's also a sugar daddy seducing a naieve young HS kid, public sex/cruising, and I thought it was ok up until the end when it just kinda well ended and it was a let down.

ziggybabie
Mar 14, 2007, 4:19 PM
Originally Posted by ziggybabie

In the early '70s Robert Culp played a gay private eye, with Bill Cosby as his straight partner, in 'Hickey and Boggs'. Culp didn't play it stereotypical and there was only a short segment in which he gets out of bed with a guy and wipes his mouth. All in all, I think the films of the early '70s broke alot of ground in this area.

I haven't seen that, but I might have to check it out.

ziggybabie
Mar 14, 2007, 4:24 PM
I agree with that so much it's not even funny.
I can't recall many movie where it's just part of who a character is
and not some pivitol part of the story. Except for Frank N' Furter ofcourse.

Or Alexander. I know I'll get shit for saying that, as a lot of people said the film was crap, but at least it had the balls to go much further with his sexuality than any Alexander movie had done in the past. He was probably more gay than bi in the movie. He married women, but his first love was obviously his general, and childhood friend Hephaistion. I actually really got a feel for his character.

genera101.2
Mar 14, 2007, 8:23 PM
For the non-romantic bi films, has anyone mentioned Crash with James Spader and for horror, The Hunger with Susan Sarandon?

TaylorMade
Mar 14, 2007, 11:09 PM
Uhmmmmm, Teh Bale. I'd eat him up with a spoon and suck him dry with a straw.

*Taylor*

Forgot a picture...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/SweetKnight82/Miscellaneous/christian_bale_genderbends.jpg

*Taylor*

12voltman59
Mar 15, 2007, 12:41 AM
I just recently saw the movie "Imagine Me & You " it was absolutely amazing. That would be number 1 on my list ! In fact I think its my newest fav lol

GEL--we may have seen that at the same time-I caught the movie about 3/4 of the way through and liked it--both of those girls are quite the lookers---

It did seem like a good film but I tried to see if its on again and could not find it and they did not have it available on HBO On Demand---

Domino
Mar 15, 2007, 1:27 AM
What about Mulholland Drive.

I think that love scene between Naomi Watts and that sexy brunette turned me Bi.

There is also a sexy movie called Kissing Jessica Stein.

GreenEyedLady(GEL)
Mar 15, 2007, 6:45 AM
GEL--we may have seen that at the same time-I caught the movie about 3/4 of the way through and liked it--both of those girls are quite the lookers---

It did seem like a good film but I tried to see if its on again and could not find it and they did not have it available on HBO On Demand---
Volty --- I use Netflix, but I am sure it is out at any movie rental place. And yes they are lookers :tongue:

Isaac Steel
Mar 15, 2007, 11:23 AM
I just found out that Michael Chabon's novel, Mysteries of Pittsburgh, a great Bi novel, will be made into a film this year. I hope the film stays true to the book.

Isaac

12voltman59
Mar 15, 2007, 11:35 AM
I think there is a bit of a bi film thing building---it just takes time--what will be best is when there are films with bisexual characters that are not necessarily the main ones but what they do and the way they live is just considered a normal thing and no BFD.

bisubbie
Mar 30, 2007, 12:20 PM
How about The Crying Game? After first being repulsed by the sight of a cock between her legs, you can see them becoming closer and perhaps even falling in love by the end of the movie.

bisubbie

12voltman59
Mar 30, 2007, 1:04 PM
I agree with Diamond Dog about his assessment of Hollywood films approaching this subject..

My mom loves old Hollywood films and whenever I visit their place or at the famly lake house--she watches them constantly--there are some great films in the past to be sure but the one thing that does stand out about those films and even films of today---

For all of Hollywood's supposed "liberalness"--most Hollywood films really have been promoters and bastions of maintaining the "status quo" in society--that status quo has changed over time of course.

Going back to all of those films from the Pre-World War II era--it really struck me how Anglo-phile they were. Even though most of these films were set in America--they were hardly promoters of an egalitarian democratic society because the films were almost invariably set amongst very wealthy people who lived in palatial houses, had a formal social structure with the elite on top and the servants underneath--everyone spoke in a very British manner and the houses looked like English baronal estates----the roles of men and women were very clearly defined as were the socal stratifications of the characters.

Moving on to another era--those "romantic comedy" flicks like the Dorris Day movies where the husband was expected to be the good corporate man in the brown or blue suit and the wife was supposed to be the "good girl" by staying at home, raising the kids and waiting on hubby to come home in her perfect house, dress, hairdoo and high heels---

I just watched one not long ago where Rock Hudson was a doctor and the Doris Day character had started going on television to be a spokesperson for something and was becoming a local celebrity--that of course was "BAD"

Rock almost had to have an affair with a woman who knew her place---but of course at the end --Doris left her job on the telly and settled in to be a good little happy homemaker--this film as I recall came out in 1963 or 64 against the backdrop of a changing society---war protests, civil rights, a presidential assination--etc-but none of that was ever touched on by such films---

Remember the stuff done by Jack Webb? "Dragnet" "Adam-12" and he did some movies as well----he really had this kind of skewed view of things as there being "a perfect and right America' and that alll of those who protested against the war and agitated for civil rights were dangerous malcontents who needed a bath and to be locked up to protect the good and decent folks...

Even today---if you really look at mainstream Hollywood films--they still do promote the idea about the way one should be and not to cross that line--of course we do have these films that make out that the world is filled with crime and we need "Transporters" and such to save us from it---and now we have the bad-assed bitch that can kick anyone else's ass should you get in her way---and for family films--DAD--the poor stupid schmuck--is a guy that is a loser who has not a clue about anything who must be set right by his cool and all-knowing kids----

As someone did say--thank God we do have a strong independent film industry these days--and thank God that Hollywood did make some great films during the 1970s like the first two Godfather films, Apocalypse Now, Patton and many others--films like those could hardly be made by contemporary Hollywood......

As has been pointed out--as a rule--it does seem that Hollywood has to set coming out as gay or bisexual as some sort of devience---that nothing good can come from it or they make it a "light and airy romp"---
rarely ever is there a realistic and serious consideration of the subject.

Well enough of my rant---just some thoughts and observations----

Omnivore
Mar 30, 2007, 5:03 PM
Excellent thread.

Here's a good one I haven't seen for years: Threesome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threesome_(film)

"The film starts out with two college students, the shy and intellectual Eddy (Josh Charles) and the All-American jock Stuart (Stephen Baldwin), ending up with a female roommate. The university thought that Alex (Lara Flynn Boyle) was a man (based on her name) and thus the three students are forced to live with each other until the university can move Alex to a female dorm.

Eddy falls in love with Stuart; Alex falls in love and tries unsuccessfully to seduce Eddy; and Stuart is in love with Alex. The trio become good friends and scare off anyone who tries to seduce the other. Eventually, Alex, Stuart and Eddy agree to have an actual threesome and that seems to destroy the friendship, and raises the possibility that Alex might have become pregnant.

After the threesome they start to drift apart. Three weeks later the semester ends and Alex is finally moved to a female dorm. The next year Eddy got a single dorm with no roommate and the three continue to drift apart. Eddy (who acts as the film's narrator) eventually finds a boyfriend, Stuart finds happiness in a monogamous relationship with a woman and Alex remains single. While they drifted apart, only to see each other for lunch occasionally, they do not seem to regret the friendship they had while in college."

intuit2
Mar 30, 2007, 7:11 PM
Just to add a couple more....

Another great bi-themed movie...although very subtle....Y Tu Mamá También (a mexican movie). Also the Buddha of Suburbia....i can't remember if there are bi scenes or even bi-overtones in the movie...but the novel is a great read and great (hot) scenes of the main character's fluid sexuality.

As for the vampire movies....in a pretty heady book called bisexuality and the eroticism of everyday life, the author links lots of contemporary vampire movies with bisexual overtones to the idea that bisexuals carry diseases (especially AIDS). She also says that in most movies, bisexuality is dealt with, but usually in a way (e.g., threesome), where it re-establishes the dualism of hetero and homo. Not a very pretty picture.

Anybody see the Dying Gaul? It's definately a bisexual-themed movie (a director who is married, has an affair with a gay writer but won't give up his family). Unfortunately, it seems to me to be written by a bisexual hater...at least the ending seems to indicate a strong dislike of bi-married men.

codybear3
Mar 30, 2007, 9:49 PM

This one is "Da Bomb"...Ol' Tim Curry looks good in high heels... :paw: :paw:

Reprob8
Mar 31, 2007, 12:18 AM
Best bi themed comedy I have seen is called "Goldfish Memory". It is available from netflix. This is strictly a comedy, very little nudity.

My list of favorites

1. The Journey (From India, absolutley one of the best movies I have ever seen)
2. Loving Annabelle
3. Chutney Popcorn
4. Gypo
5. Tipping The Velvet
6. Eating Out (kind of a cheesy movie but it had some funny parts)
7. Girl Play
8. The above mentioned Goldfish Memory
9. Short bus
10. But I'm a Cheerleader.

It is hard to find a good gay or bi themed movie but there are allot of Lesbian Drama and Comedy films.

Check out Wolfe video for more films.