PDA

View Full Version : The Trouble with Text

flexuality
Mar 11, 2007, 4:31 AM
I learned that with communication only 7% of the message is the words. The rest is 38% tone and 55% body language.

No wonder we get mixed messages on forums or in chat! LOL!

I also found an article about this very thing.

http://lifecoachesblog.com/2006/03/13/words-are-only-7-of-your-communication/

darkeyes
Mar 11, 2007, 7:50 AM
I learned that with communication only 7% of the message is the words. The rest is 38% tone and 55% body language.

No wonder we get mixed messages on forums or in chat! LOL!

I also found an article about this very thing.

http://lifecoachesblog.com/2006/03/13/words-are-only-7-of-your-communication/

Depends on the partner flex... wiv guys half the % of words an tone an double body language. Unless ya calls grunts words! Me knows that cums 2 110% but jus showsya how keen guys r wen they got the bit between the teeth! :tong: Wer duz that leave us? :bigrin:

kitten
Mar 11, 2007, 8:52 AM
So does that leave us cumming or going?!

Even with body language there can be misunderstandings and deception. I have been the victim of a good liar and I enjoy the straightforwardness of words and an occasional emoticon for emphasis.

flexuality
Mar 11, 2007, 9:26 AM
Depends on the partner flex... wiv guys half the % of words an tone an double body language. Unless ya calls grunts words! Me knows that cums 2 110% but jus showsya how keen guys r wen they got the bit between the teeth! :tong: Wer duz that leave us? :bigrin:

Actually that cums to 132.5% lol! all this body language...no wonder I'm confused... :upside:

lookn0ver
Mar 11, 2007, 11:15 AM
This is a good point even though it will not get much attention due to the statis of communication these days. but at least some people will find it and understand what it means.
i done the chat room thing for years and have run into this problem on many occasion and since the blog thing has taken over i do not bother to deal with the whole in real time chat thing anymore cause people do only want to hear what they want to hear and i am so taxed to break it down into the skinny every off the wall comment i make in chat and get misconstrued over the wit i tried to impart on the roomies that most of the time my texts get read only in the negative sense.

question was, is it my responsibility to write to be understood thus limiting my creative nature? or, is it the readers responsibility be a little more positive thinking and imaginative while reading snappy wit and dry humor that can be more detailing the human condition than just being robotic ?

In the end giving up chat was the way i had to go, coz once you make a comment that gets read the wrong way and you can't explain it to those who refuse to understand what the innocent thing was said only in passing, its game over and your name is now MUDD. :(

flexuality
Mar 11, 2007, 1:03 PM
I believe that it is my responsibility to convey my thoughts in such a way as to be understood, if I, in fact, want to be understood. I do not think it is someone else's responsibility to read my mind.

It is hard to do that in type only sometimes, that is true. I look at it as taking MORE creativity to get my thought across in the written word, not less.

Just my opinion. :cool:

darkeyes
Mar 11, 2007, 8:34 PM
I believe that it is my responsibility to convey my thoughts in such a way as to be understood, if I, in fact, want to be understood. I do not think it is someone else's responsibility to read my mind.

It is hard to do that in type only sometimes, that is true. I look at it as taking MORE creativity to get my thought across in the written word, not less.

Just my opinion. :cool:
Have always found it easier 2 rite me thoughts han speak them, don mean me incoherent jus means me an cant say wot me means... but ritin wot I feel an mean is easier an thats a fact!

darkeyes
Mar 11, 2007, 8:36 PM
an flex...the 110% only refers 2 the body language.... me can count! muahs!

Solomon
Mar 12, 2007, 5:06 PM
actually, guys hide alot of facial expressions.

is true, we disguise'em all as the same thing an it can be very annoying to women who go through a whole range of facial contorsions to express each an every nook an cranny of emotion and possible emotion that they've storing up for like life.

men just get constipated so we don't hafta show emotions lol.

yoyo4u
Mar 12, 2007, 5:15 PM
Based on the above......

I'd like to conduct a test with a deaf bushwoman, just to see how we'd communicate.......... :bigrin: :bigrin:

yoyo

Solomon
Mar 13, 2007, 9:12 AM
LOL! that could be interesting! :cool: