PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts to those in the Gulf States

Sex in Words
Aug 31, 2005, 12:09 AM
I sure many of us are sending our best thoughts to those in the areas affected by Katrina. I know New Orleans has a strong and vibrant bi community. I've not spoken with her in many years and have lost touch, but if anyone knows noted bi-author and community supportor Jamie Joy Gatto and knows if she is alright, I'd appreciate a post.

BiCpl69
Aug 31, 2005, 12:36 AM
My GF lives just south of New Orleans. She left on Saturday and doesn't know if her house is still standing.

My heart aches for those in LA, MS, & AL...terrible conditions down there. :(

his wife
Aug 31, 2005, 1:49 AM
Sad times down in New Orleans (my husbands home state). His sister lost her house to the storm, but fortunately she is safe in dallas. Houses can be replaced, so our thoughts now lay with those who lost family and friends.

jo69guy
Aug 31, 2005, 8:29 AM
I am home as a result of Katrina. The road into our port is closed, and I have yet to speak to our office. My church is running a shelter up here, and I have done a little volunteering there.

Prayers, and good luck to all who are homeless at this time!

nakedambrosia
Aug 31, 2005, 5:14 PM
Talk about sleeping at the wheel....thoughts on why things went so bad.

Most of our military are either Afghanistan or Iraq. The rest, in Saudi Arabia.

Did you know that the US Army is the only branch which has the most boats? Where are they?

The government of Louisiana: Terrible planning. No planning was done in depth-like-getting vehicles to evacuate the city; like setting up several refugee camps north; like having supplies in place for distribution (water, food). Like getting the levees fixed.

President Bush- Slow to respond (partly because most of his heavy stuff is in Iraq). No immediate response to get those Army boats and personnel dropped into the city right after the hurricane. (But does that surprise you?).

Anyway I hope something good comes out of all this. One thing I know: We need to take care of our own versus starting political experiements overseas.

m.in.heels&hose
Aug 31, 2005, 6:55 PM
i just thought i would add my 2 cents here, i am sure there are many who visit this site, but i have made a friend from gulf port missipsippi, and many other have become this persons friend as well, and i am very worried about this person i only know him as bubba, and i wish him and all his family all the best of luck!!!

if anyone happenss to hear or chat with him please let us all know!
thank you

i have been praying for anyone in the part of the country, as i would not want this type of devastation happen to me or anyone else for that matter
thank you for listening & caring

csrakate
Sep 2, 2005, 4:27 AM
MIHH, I too am worried about Bubba. He was in the chat room the night before and didn't seem too worried about the impending storm. I continue to pray that he is OK.

Also, bayou_boy_2003 is from New Orleans. I spoke with him prior to the hurricane and he and his wife were preparing to evacuate. I pray that they will have something to come home to.

For all those affected by this disaster, I send you my thoughts and prayers and offer whatever it is that I can do to make your return to your life a little less stressful.

Kate

rupertbare
Sep 2, 2005, 4:31 AM
May I send my thoughts to all of you in the USA affected by this terrible tragedy on the Gulf States.
Having had to go through some of the emmotional turmoil many of you now face whilst waiting to hear if friends and relatives are alive and well. When Grenada was hit a couple of years back a very dear friend lost absolutely everything she had worked an entire lifetime for in the UK - all washed away - including her home. Now many more are in the same position there and my heart goes out to you all.
Here in the UK, however, we are astounded that the planet's most powerful and wealthiest nation seems so unprepared (and it had years of knowing something along this scale, in this area, at this time of year would happen) and unable to cope. We also find it difficult to understand that it appears to be the weakest, poorest and most vulnerable that have been, to be honest, abandoned by your government. Where are all the big businesses with offers of help with bottled water and food, etc?
Sorry if some of that sounds a little negative - but that's how it seems here "over the pond".

Anyway love to all in the area and with all of you with folk in the Gulf coast area - I hope everyone you love is found and able to rebuild their lives.

Rupe, London, UK.

jazzer
Sep 2, 2005, 8:35 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the people of the Gulf States and in particular New Orleans. It is only recently that we Australians have witnessed the devistation wrought by a tsunami through the countries of Asia. New Orleans looks as though it has been swept away in a tsunami rather than a hurricane.
Television images we are receiving Downunder are particularly disturbing because of the pathetic response of the US Government to this crisis. Why are we getting reports of people and babies starving and dying of thirst in the heat.
This may well be the worst humanitarian disaster that the US has had to face within it's own borders in modern times and the Government seems lost as to how to deal with it. Please help the people before it is too late. :(

arana
Sep 2, 2005, 3:06 PM
I hope that our dear friends from these areas are all ok and that they will return to us soon. Its a very sad situation over there and worse yet that nothing was done prior to try and prevent things from getting to the extent that they did.
I have a friend in Mississippi that I spoke with yesterday and she is ok but like everyone else, without power, dying of heat and worried about friends and neighbors who are even worse off.
If anyone does hear any news about members I hope they will pass on the news with us.

Big Hugs to everyone!

gina42
Sep 2, 2005, 11:07 PM
i work at a pharmacy named walgreen's here in new hampshire and they have been taking donations to help aid the redcross in the states where katrina riped through leaving nothing but devastation...i happened to be working the day shift today and i personally took $750.00 in donations at my register..it is a good feeling to know that we live in a world that pulls together in times of need....
my thoughts and prayers,go out to all of the victims of katrina.

a_piuy
Sep 3, 2005, 12:06 AM
it is so sad to see those pictures......must be a terrible situation, let's hope (and help) for a fast recovery

arana
Sep 11, 2005, 3:37 PM
I just got the most wonderful email and thought I would share the news with anyone concerned and does not yet know, our dear friend Bubba is alive and well. He said he hopes to be back soon. I hope we're blessed by more great news like this. So much has gone wrong with this disaster that it breaks my heart for all those affected that have to contend with it. I hope their losses will not go in vain and that it will open some eyes.

Big Hugs,
Arana

m.in.heels&hose
Sep 11, 2005, 8:51 PM
Thank you arana for the great and wonderful news about bubba, just this simple bit of news has made my whole day,evening,week!!!!!!!

im sure there are lots and lots of others down in that area that need help and everything else too, but just knowing that someone we all know that has gone through something as devastating as a hurricane (or any other natural disaster) and to find out they are ok and doing as well as can be expected!!!

i cant wait to talk/chat with our friend bubba!!!!!
thank you for my :2cents:

gina42
Sep 11, 2005, 9:19 PM
I just got the most wonderful email and thought I would share the news with anyone concerned and does not yet know, our dear friend Bubba is alive and well. He said he hopes to be back soon. I hope we're blessed by more great news like this. So much has gone wrong with this disaster that it breaks my heart for all those affected that have to contend with it. I hope their losses will not go in vain and that it will open some eyes.

Big Hugs,
Arana

arana,
thank you for sharing your wounderful email,it gave me happy tears to know that bubba is alive and well...i feel for everone that lives in the states that got destroyed and my thoughts and prays are with them all...my pray was anwsered tonight reading you good news arana,than you so much..
hugs,gina42