PDA

View Full Version : Parents: Are you for or against the new HPV vaccince?

littlerayofsunshine
Feb 24, 2007, 10:18 AM
Just curious as to what those think of the HPV (Human papillomavirus) vaccine -Gardasil. There seems to be some controversy around this very important issue. Mainly because it is recommended for girls as young as nine years old and some states are trying to make it a mandatory vaccine. Some parents are against this because it is an STD and can only be transmitted through sexual contact and they don't want to consider the fact that their child will eventually have sex, or even think about sex and their child when their child is as young as 9.

I ,on the other hand, am for this vaccine, When my daughters come of age, I will get them this vaccine. HPV is so prominate. And if there is something I can do, to offer some protection for my daughters, that will carry on through the rest of their life, I'm gonna do it. I have seen the devestation of cervical cancer, on families and spouses. It breaks my freakin heart.

The risk is low on contracting Aids or HIV, but if there were a vaccince that offered protection, I sure as hell would give it to my kids.

In my honest opinion, Kids will only understand at an older age what the vaccine is for, and how HPV is sexually transmitted, but in reality a younger child will only understand, if you tell them.. If they were to think it was just another shot they had to get, then that would be the end of it, then parents could go on to teach abstinance or safe sex or whatever they choose, but in the end, their child will be protected. Granted not from all strains, but we're talking help, not miracles.

Here's some facts/statistics about HPV from the CDC:

"Approximately 20 million people are currently infected with HPV. At least 50 percent of sexually active men and women acquire genital HPV infection at some point in their lives. By age 50, at least 80 percent of women will have acquired genital HPV infection."

"Rarely, a pregnant woman can pass HPV to her baby during vaginal delivery. A baby that is exposed to HPV very rarely develops warts in the throat or voice box."

deremarc
Feb 24, 2007, 10:33 AM
I'm totally for this vaccine. For both my girls, but it is so damned expensive-even at a health clinic. The cost is prohibitive to say the least. It is 175 for 3 shots here.

It's also recommended for sexually active adults (even targeted towards men who have sex with men.)

littlerayofsunshine
Feb 24, 2007, 10:36 AM
It's also recommended for sexually active adults (even targeted towards men who have sex with men.)

I didnt know that, I did however have those questions in mind. Ty for the info :)

bigirl_inwv
Feb 24, 2007, 11:18 AM
I don't have children, but I do care for my 4 year old sister. And I am totally in agreeance with children getting this vaccine. Just like littleray, I have seen the devastation of cervical cancer and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I understand parents concerns about not wanting to "condone" their children having sex but they also have to understand that regardless of what they say, their kids are going to do it anyway. Absolutely, teach your kids to wait, teach them abstinance, whatever you want to teach them, go for it. But I don't see the problem with having this vaccine as a precautionary measure. People insure their homes and vehicles IN CASE something happens, so why not insure your children with this vaccine IN CASE they do come in contact with the virus?

JohnnyV
Feb 24, 2007, 12:40 PM
I'm for it. I have one daughter.

J

onewhocares
Feb 24, 2007, 6:08 PM
Well, I guess I can offer a unique perspective.

I have been a very pro active woman when it comes to my health. During a routine gyn exam a standard Pap smear was done. Imagine my surprise when the nurse from the doctors office called to tell me that I had tested positive for the HPV virus. At first I was shocked as my exposure to men other than my husband is almost non existant. When we do find oursleves with another I am a safety girl.

Well the nurse said to me that she makes on average twenty phone calls a week to schedule follow ups. She told me that girls as young as thirteen with NO sexual activity and women in their seventies were testing positive even a nun. Well I ended up going in for a biopsy in the doctors office. I was vacationing with a few friends in Hilton Head in the Fall when I got the call. I had the beginings of cervical cancer. I was immediately given an appointment in Boston to a wonderful gynocological oncologist. Someone was watching out for me as I was one of the lucky ones who had to have parts of cervix removed and the cancer is now gone. Had I waited, I would not have been SO lucky. I also had the love and support of so many, both here and in the "outside" world, thank you ALL.

My expericance has prompted all of my friends to make sure they have a yearly pap smear- one had not had one in six years. Another friend who is almost thirty (but has never had sex) was given the vaccine. Yes, the price is costly, but it is an investment in the future. A step to make sure you HAVE a future. I believe that insurance companies ( at least in my state )only started paying for the test a year and a half ago ( One week after my exam two years ago).

My daughter is twelve and when the time comes, she is going to have it. Aside from all the commotion about the tendencies to give kids encouragement to having free sex, I think a good relationship, open and honest on all sides will make more of a difference when talking to children about sex.

How I contracted it is still a mystery and it could have been laying dormant in my body. From my understanding if you have a good immune system, your body can rid itself of it. Who knows? There is no test for men, yet they can be carriers.

Just my two cents.

Belle

littlerayofsunshine
Feb 24, 2007, 8:24 PM
Belle,

(((((((Hugs))))))) Ty so much for sharing your story.

orangecrush
Feb 24, 2007, 9:09 PM
Hey, mark me down as provaccine.

I have one daughter, 4 years old, who last week was a polkadotted kid. Thank goodness she had her chicken pox vaccine. No dangerous fever, no itching (or scars), not even a drop in her energy level. My grandchildren may not even know what chicken pox are if enough people use the vaccinations for this generation.

Yeah, I know, HPV is different. I also know what a lingering battle with cancer does to a person, since my grandmother lost that battle with all of her family as witnesses.

I've seen lots of parents drop more than 175 bucks on school clothes or a day at Disney World, so money really shouldn't be the issue. Getting this shot is akin to replacing balding tires on your minivan to drive on rainslick roads... not only a precaution, but a sensible and necessary precaution.

And as for promoting sexual behavior, get real. It shouldn't even come up. The question "Hey, Mom, what's this shot for?" should be answered very truthfully by saying, "It will help keep you well." That's it. End of story. If they're still curious, just launch in on a long explanation of why they got vaccinated agains measles, mumps, and rubella as toddlers. By the time you make it to HPV, you'll be the only one awake in the room.

It is a function of our own inability as a culture to take strong action for the greater good that even allows this to be a debate. Imagine if those who had gone before us allowed this kind of wishy washy relativistic uselessness to enter the debate about polio shots...

What a frightening legacy that would have been.

DiamondDog
Feb 24, 2007, 9:22 PM
Personally I think it's kind of fucked up that they only offer it to women, and won't cover it if a man wants it.

I know that men don't get cancer from HPV but still it's hypocritical of them to offer it to women only.

At least it's not the 80s, we still have to deal with the same BS but we're not living through a biological holocaust.

pasco_lol_cpl
Feb 24, 2007, 11:23 PM
In principle my wife and I are all for it. The only concern that we have is that we want to find out more about the clinical studies that were done. Sure the vaccine is effective, but what sort of either long or short term side effects were there in the study. If those answers can be gotten and show that there were no ill side effects then both of our girls will get it

CountryLover
Feb 24, 2007, 11:29 PM
Belle and I went through the same HPV thing about the same time. It was great comparing notes with you sweetie - helped keep my own fears in perspective.

It was a puzzle for me and my doctor too. He said from the size of the pre-cancerous lesions that I had to have had it for a very long time - yet I was in a monogamous marriage for over 20 years!

As for the vaccine - I'm all for it, though not necessarily for making it a legal requirement. I absolutely HATE the forced immunizations given to our kids now.

julie
Feb 25, 2007, 2:58 PM
As for the vaccine - I'm all for it, though not necessarily for making it a legal requirement. I absolutely HATE the forced immunizations given to our kids now.

Yes of course i would want my children to have this vaccine... a no brainer really..:rolleyes:

..... but i'm intrigued, Country Lover, by your comments about forced vaccines... what?! is this something that happens in Texas? I am horrified if this is the case... No vaccine is compulsory in the UK... i dont think they would have a hope in hells chance of getting that kind of legislation through over here... it would be an overt violation of human rights. i'm speechless.

Julie
:female:

CountryLover
Feb 26, 2007, 12:27 AM
Certain immunizations are compulsory across the US, if your child is going to attend public school. Most private schools require them also. DPT - diptheria, pertussis (whooping cough) and tetanus are the first basics, then measles, mumps and polio are added. A chicken pox immunization was recently added to the list.

My daughter had the first battery of shots when she was two months old - and had scorching high fever and convulsions. I never took her back for more until the school system forced me to when she was 8 yrs old. My son didn't receive any vaccines until he was about 8 yrs old also, and then only because the school forced us.

The HPV vaccine sounds interesting - but NOT as another mandatory vaccination.

Solomon
Feb 26, 2007, 5:01 PM
Personally, i don't agree with vaccinations whatsoever.

The injections of vaccines totally bypasses the body's natural multi-level reciprocal immunity systems totally throwing the systems out of balance to the point of not being effective.

Vaccination is the biggest blameworthy idea behind these NEW super bugs and mutated viruses that everyone keeps hearing about more and more.

Vaccinations have actually harmed and killed more people than the original infections have ever harmed or killed.

Administering vaccinations to babies is the biggest crock of shit that I've ever heard of seeing as how babies do NOT have an immunity system developed yet so literally there's NOTHING TO BOOST!

Those are actual facts. Unless you would care to listen to the powers that be that have a HUGE vested interest in twisting the facts to support their wallets/ conclusions. And quite frankly I'm very ok with arguing the facts directly and publicly with them too.

Fresia
Apr 7, 2015, 7:40 PM
Bump it up!

(and I'm all for the HPV vaccine)

CurEUs_Male
Apr 7, 2015, 7:54 PM
For it. I was frustrated when it first was released and targeted only young girls. Guys can be affected, and carry, just the same. It was after my oldest son was 'too old' by recommendations before they started stating it was good for boys too. I have never, as an adult, been recommended I get the vaccine even though when I shared my orientation with my Dr. he did get me the Hep B vaccine.

tenni
Apr 7, 2015, 8:33 PM
In my province both girls and boys ranging from the age of 11 or 12 (I think) are given free HPV vaccinations by the government. They are given out at school with parental permission. As Cur states, girls were given it first and not boys. The believe was that boys did not get cervical cancer etc. but they can pass the virus to a woman and some HPV protection may cause cancer in men including penis cancer. The entire issue of vaccination has risen stronger with the outbreaks of measles this winter. Kids not vaccinated could be sent home. It didn't get that bad here but young babies who were too young were in danger from children who had not received the two shots. The entire issue of HIV vaccinations is a non issue here now for both boys and girls.

PeninAZ
Apr 7, 2015, 10:21 PM
No parent, but seeing vaccines as helping the body build an immunity against the virus, all thumbs up. Understand the concern though, highly understand, though I am reminded of that special group of people who are against all vaccines in general, little annoying.

tenni
Apr 8, 2015, 12:25 AM
I agree Pen. They are also endangering others.