PDA

View Full Version : Woman Sentenced to Two Years Prison for Throwing Cup of Ice

12voltman59
Feb 21, 2007, 1:19 PM
Check out this story: http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/mcmissile-mom-gets-probation/20070221074909990001

This is ridiculous--that prosecutor who brought this felony charge needs to spend a few nights in jail!!!

This is an example of overkill and prosecutorial overreaching!!!!

The jury was a bit crazy too--they were the ones who voted to sentence the woman to that prison term--thank God for a level headed judge in this case-(some want to strip judges of the ability to render such decisions!)

wildangel
Feb 21, 2007, 4:03 PM
She was sentenced to probation. The jury only recommended that she get 2 years in prison.

But I've got to say, if someone repeatedly cut me off with my child in the car I'd consider throwing things too. You threaten my child, you're risking your life.

nothings5d
Feb 21, 2007, 8:55 PM
With the number of people out there who cut other drivers off I'm seriously thinking of mounting a camera to my car and giving the tape to the police asking them to arrest them for reckless endangerment...

Danielle_T
Feb 22, 2007, 7:51 AM
Once again in our infamous North American judicial system, the victim becomes the criminal. The world is changing and people are becoming a lot less considerate of one another. The criminals know the system and capitalize on that and all too infrequently is justice actually served (look at O.J.)
Money is the answer, it can buy almost anything except for respect and admiration and more and more every day as i watch the news, i see more victims and the smug faces of the perpetrators as they walk away, case dismissed or acquitted of their crimes. It's no small wonder that every day you see instances of vigilante justice and persons taking matters into their own hands and more and more of the innocents being charged instead because the law no longer has any guts to do what's right.

Love and peace.....Dani

warmpuppy
Feb 22, 2007, 1:45 PM
We have the most puzzling legal system on the planet. Although this woman ultimately received a just sentence, the sentencing guidelines called for her to get a minimum of two years in jail. Contrast this with the child molester in Vermont who received a 30 day sentence, provided he receive treatment for his "disease" while in the slammer.

Lisa (va)
Feb 22, 2007, 2:17 PM
Overkill? Maybe, maybe not.

I do think the judge was fair in not sending her to a prison term and placing her on probation.

I-95 is a busy interstate. I have been cut off by other motorists before, and I may get a bit miffed but I just let them go on, thinking they are in more of a hurry than I am. But throwing anything at another moving car on the interstate isn't right either, especially as busy as that one gets. What if the other driver overreacts and an accident results.

Lisa

hugs n kisses

NorthBiEast
Feb 22, 2007, 8:23 PM
Road Rage is often very stupid, and I don't think she should have reacted that way in front of her kids, but my God! aren't there REAL crimes to be investigating? Give her a hefty littering fine and LET IT GO! In my mind, tearing her family apart, over something like that is going to set them all back way further than anything else. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of person would file charges against her. Her kids had to watch her get arrested! :2cents:

LoveLion
Feb 23, 2007, 3:26 PM
I have to bring it up.

Do you think she would have gotten the same sentence if she was a white woman?

deletetacount123
Feb 24, 2007, 5:02 PM
LoveLion, I thought the excat same thing when I saw her picture "What would happen if she was white??"

The whole thing is stupid.... she was mad... yes some people act without thinking but throwing a cup with ice at a car is the same as when you see people throwing trash out the window when driving!!!!

Its much safer than having a piece of wood fly off a pickup truck full of wood and fly at your winsheld right towards you!!! Yikes! :-( (no one was on the other lane so I escaped the flying piece of wood by moving into that lane.... )

Tommy2020
Feb 28, 2007, 11:08 AM
Overkill? Maybe, maybe not.

I do think the judge was fair in not sending her to a prison term and placing her on probation.

I-95 is a busy interstate. I have been cut off by other motorists before, and I may get a bit miffed but I just let them go on, thinking they are in more of a hurry than I am. But throwing anything at another moving car on the interstate isn't right either, especially as busy as that one gets. What if the other driver overreacts and an accident results.

Lisa

hugs n kisses

This is cool headed thinking. My thoughts, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
Tommy2020