PDA

View Full Version : ***Features Wish List***

ambi53mm
Feb 15, 2007, 8:42 AM
Inspired by the post titled “What new features would you most like to see on Bisexual.Com.”. There are two that come to mind.

The first involves the designations that usually accompany our screen names. I know the subject of these designations may be controversial, some people enjoying them others maybe not seeing the need. However they do exist and represent levels of contribution overall to the community at large. What distinguishes this community and creates its uniqueness I believe, are the ever-expanding range of subjects contained within the forum. Through contributing and expressing thoughts and opinions as well as, disseminating information as it relates to bisexuality, the forum has become the backbone of this community.

There has been a feeling of accomplishment to go through the ranks and levels associated with these designations on a personal level. Day after day I watch people literally pour their hearts and souls into words that have helped and inspired myself and others tremendously in discovering and exploring life issues, with special regard to bisexuality.
Once “some kind of super member” has been reached (360 posts) I feel there needs to be a new designation that carries perhaps a little more weight in regard to the community.
We pass through the rank or “unofficial community leader” These people who contribute so much beyond the current limit I feel should be recognized as “Official Community Leader” because in truth they are.

Creating this community is a very important contribution to bisexuality at an international level. What Drew and company have created is of such critical importance to the bisexual community that I think each person involved becomes in a sense an ambassador whose effects will continue to ripple through the ever growing pond of those discovering and owning their right to be who they are.

The second feature I’d love to see is the designation of perhaps a collective of people who become the official greeters for bisexual.com We all take turns in welcoming new people but occasionally someone doesn’t get noticed or acknowledged. Someone to take on the role of an unofficial mayor of sorts and that frequents the site a lot. No obligation, no official duties but it would look cool next your name “Arana” because I can think of no one that embodies the true spirit of this site with more of a congenial warmth than you do. I apologize in advance for nominating you as who would be my first choice.

Anyway just a few thoughts on the subject…I expect as usual to be controversial. But, would expect no less from such a diverse community.

Ambi :)

ElizabethJane
Feb 15, 2007, 9:19 AM
very good idea! I'm still getting familiar with the existing features to really think about what else I would like, but I think that it would be awesome if there were a forum just for women and one just for men, not that both couldn't be frequented by the other but it would be cool to have one there to discuss things amongst ourselves.

I found one through a link on The BI Web part of this site and I love it. Perhaps we can bring that solidarity to this site as well?

My ideas :P hehe Take care

EJ

wanderingrichard
Feb 15, 2007, 10:54 PM
too important not to do this.............BUMP

wanderingrichard
Feb 16, 2007, 9:26 PM
too important not to do this.............BUMP

again,.........bump

flexuality
Feb 17, 2007, 3:53 AM
Once “some kind of super member” has been reached (360 posts) I feel there needs to be a new designation that carries perhaps a little more weight in regard to the community.
We pass through the rank or “unofficial community leader” These people who contribute so much beyond the current limit I feel should be recognized as “Official Community Leader” because in truth they are.

I was wondering what those designations were all about....what do they mean? And how come some people have them and others don't?
http://www.geocities.com/leeforgy/ylwbutt1.gif

deremarc
Feb 17, 2007, 11:13 AM
I may be the world's worst at finding things on a site. Coming here was the first forum I have ever posted to and I don't really do chat.

What I think would be neat would kinda be an addition to the site greeter idea-which I think is great.

I keep reading about the "straight wives club" and how they support each other. Who are these women? Is there a way to chat with them?

It would be kinda cool if you had certain groups on here, like:

Straight wives club
Coming out club

And whatever else people need. Like if you think you may be bi, but don't know and want support/advice/help.

Each of these could have a greeter(s) and members.

I realize all topics are talked of in the forum, but sometimes it can be hard to say what you think. I know I received a ton of support when I came here as a straight wife-but I know I felt very exposed and somewhat conflicted about being honest about my feelings at first. It was a learning/working experience for me. I am at a much different place now, but when I first found out I was hurt, angry, confused, and very shocked. I tried most times to temper what I said so I would not offend the bisexuals here who welcomed me, but it would have been nice to have a forum that was separate where "true" feelings could have been shared. (hence my interest in the straight wives club-and greeters from there. Women who could share how they "came through to the other side" and are happy where they are now, but who could empathize with and understand the more negative emotions that are felt by some at first.

I also think that for people who are struggling with accepting that they are bi and dealing with the early issues surrounding that (with the accompanying pain and confusion, possibly the lying and hiding that sometimes occurs in the early faze-it may be nice to have a group to talk to-and volunteer greeters of a sort that would understand and could share their stories.

I do think that people that are in this phase are in a different place than the "I know I am bi and love it" people.

I am thinking as I write and if you are still reading, I guess what I think would be cool would be some groups that would target where people are or who they are, with greeters who have been there too, and possibly mini life stories about it that you could read and use for personal growth.

I can't think of what other groups would be good (maybe a group for poly people where newly interested people could come or a group for monogamous people to share how that works in their life)

Any thoughts or ideas?

welickit
Feb 17, 2007, 3:19 PM
We kind of hoped they would get rid of the fakes. :2cents:

buddyk
Feb 17, 2007, 4:47 PM
I am totally in favor of the straight wives club - I'm one. And I'll tell you its difficult to find others ....

thanks!

arana
Feb 17, 2007, 9:09 PM
Thank you Ambi, I'm quite humbled that you would have even thought of me. I don't know that "greeters" is really what the site needs. I know that when someone new comes along and introduces themselves most get in and welcome them. Same with chat. I know some don't understand the joking around that goes on in there sometimes and misunderstand. That is one thing I do wish could be changed, but it's that basic loss of human interaction which is lost thru the internet. The actual warmth behind the overall banter.

Flex - the titles basically mean nothing. Only the amount of posting you do. After so many posts your title changes till it reaches the "some kind of super member" (which I hate) stage then stops.

Buddyk - There really isn't a "straight wives club" here but the straight wives did name themselves that. If you would like to talk to any of them just look up csrkate, onewhocares or mrs f to name a few. They are very active here and very helpful. Some of the nicest women you'd ever care to meet.

ambi53mm
Feb 18, 2007, 8:40 AM
I was wondering what those designations were all about....what do they mean? And how come some people have them and others don't?
http://www.geocities.com/leeforgy/ylwbutt1.gif

Flex,

As Arana mentions it has to do with posting in the forums and I believe as follows:

Member 1-80
Unofficial Community Leader 81-160
Senior Member 161=320
320 + Some kind of super member

It's interesting that such designations were created. I'm not sure of the original intent in doing so but when I do recall that when I first came here and noticed those designations because of the proximity to the post that it gave me a brief synopsis of Who was posting and there status in regards to the Bisexual.com community. Being new and looking for answers I think I naturally put a little more value into the opinions expressed by those that contributed so much of themselves both in quanity and quality of their posts. Being new to discussing bisexuality and prior to understanding the way these designation were attained "unofficial Community Leader" was an impressive designation to me personally because of what it implied.
Honestly they don't carry the weight that they did before. If someone's only challenge was to hit the "some kind of super member" status they could simply respond to 320 posts and simply type "Why?".and accomplish their goal. The forums mean so much more than that as I indicated in my original posting of this thread. The posting serves a very valuable tool for anyone searching for answers as well as what takes place on an inner level as you try to express your feelings, thoughts, attitudes, and opinions about the various subjects posted.

I very rarely go into chat it just isn't me. Typing everything I write with two fingers the conversations come and go too quickly and often I'm saying yes when I should be saying no, or finally giving some response to something that took place two minuets ago and someone responding with "huh"? because it has got no relevance to what's being talked about now LOL. Posting serves as an outlet at a pace I can handle and allows me the time I need to think and ponder the subject matter which is how I grow.

ambi53mm
Feb 18, 2007, 8:50 AM
Thank you Ambi, I'm quite humbled that you would have even thought of me.

Thank you Arana ...It is I that am humbled by your spirit

ambi53mm
Feb 18, 2007, 9:08 AM
I may be the world's worst at finding things on a site. Coming here was the first forum I have ever posted to and I don't really do chat.

What I think would be neat would kinda be an addition to the site greeter idea-which I think is great.

I keep reading about the "straight wives club" and how they support each other. Who are these women? Is there a way to chat with them?

It would be kinda cool if you had certain groups on here, like:

Straight wives club
Coming out club

And whatever else people need. Like if you think you may be bi, but don't know and want support/advice/help.

Each of these could have a greeter(s) and members.

I realize all topics are talked of in the forum, but sometimes it can be hard to say what you think. I know I received a ton of support when I came here as a straight wife-but I know I felt very exposed and somewhat conflicted about being honest about my feelings at first. It was a learning/working experience for me. I am at a much different place now, but when I first found out I was hurt, angry, confused, and very shocked. I tried most times to temper what I said so I would not offend the bisexuals here who welcomed me, but it would have been nice to have a forum that was separate where "true" feelings could have been shared. (hence my interest in the straight wives club-and greeters from there. Women who could share how they "came through to the other side" and are happy where they are now, but who could empathize with and understand the more negative emotions that are felt by some at first.

I also think that for people who are struggling with accepting that they are bi and dealing with the early issues surrounding that (with the accompanying pain and confusion, possibly the lying and hiding that sometimes occurs in the early faze-it may be nice to have a group to talk to-and volunteer greeters of a sort that would understand and could share their stories.

I do think that people that are in this phase are in a different place than the "I know I am bi and love it" people.

I am thinking as I write and if you are still reading, I guess what I think would be cool would be some groups that would target where people are or who they are, with greeters who have been there too, and possibly mini life stories about it that you could read and use for personal growth.

I can't think of what other groups would be good (maybe a group for poly people where newly interested people could come or a group for monogamous people to share how that works in their life)

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks Deremarc...I think your ideas are excellent and insightful as usual. I agree chat isn't for everone and neither is posting in the forum..You could try using the chatrooms by invitation only and have a live forum/chat that would allow specific groups of people with similar needs to get togther in an atmosphre that's perhaps a little more private. I'm sure there are many people that would be more comfortable in expressing themselves and the idea of specific support groups to address those particular needs makes a lot of sense to me. Great idea!!

ambi53mm
Feb 18, 2007, 9:12 AM
again,.........bump

Thanks for the bumps they were greatly appreciated!!!...LOL I owe you one...ooops two

ambi53mm
Feb 18, 2007, 9:28 AM
very good idea! I'm still getting familiar with the existing features to really think about what else I would like, but I think that it would be awesome if there were a forum just for women and one just for men, not that both couldn't be frequented by the other but it would be cool to have one there to discuss things amongst ourselves.

I found one through a link on The BI Web part of this site and I love it. Perhaps we can bring that solidarity to this site as well?

My ideas :P hehe Take care

EJ

EJ Welcome to Bisexual.com :) I've been reading your posts and look forward to reading more. I appreciate your thoughts about gender- oriented forums. Sometimes it's easier and perhaps more comfortable to talk with your own gender about certain things...I doubt many women would find interest in my rants and raves about "chainsaw etiquette”…but on the other hand…on a bi site I suppose anything is possible LOL

Mrs.F
Feb 18, 2007, 9:45 AM
I know when I joined here it was basically to talk to some straight wives and they were here and helped me immensly. Kate, Belle and I are always here to help anyone who needs it. There are also several other straight wives on here too. As arana said..there really isn't a "Straight wives club". Just something we joked about calling ourselves. ;)

The Cheshire Cat
Feb 18, 2007, 12:55 PM
I think a straight wifes group would be a great idea. Sometimes (depending on my mood) i get very annoyed by those who question why im on here. Also, though 90% of the time im good with his bi-ness-there are times i just feel totaly pissed off about it. It would be nice to just "vent" with-out the effect of dropping a bomb.... :eek:

LoveLion
Feb 18, 2007, 1:49 PM
I mentioned this on the other topic as well.

I think it would be a good idea to create 2 new areas of the forum. instead of cramming everything into the "Main Forum". Have one Forum for support, one for sex related topics, and one for hookups (maybe one for off topic as well?). I noticed alot of people get frustrated with all the sex topics in the main forum, and lots of people come here for different reasons. That way people just looking for the sex topics will have a forum and know where to find them, and the people who dont wanna read them can stick with the other forum.

Another idea I had was to put a little icon some were beside a persons screen name or avatar that is a notice that the person has nude pics in their profile. I dont mind nude pics and could care less, but there has been alot of complaints lately about people clicking on a profile and being "shocked" by nude pics. An Icon like that would just let those people know to avoid looking at the nude pics they dont want to see

zyzygy
Feb 19, 2007, 3:04 AM
If you look at the profiles, there is at the bottom a section about groups. Mine says "not a member of any public groups". So, it seems that the software running this board has some sort of group function built in. Whether its enabled and how to use it are unknowable. Maybe Drew can enlighten us.

:upside: