PDA

View Full Version : bbeing bisexual and kids

bothbi2006
Feb 8, 2007, 9:52 AM
Hello to all ive just recently told my 14 year old daughter that myself and hubby are bisexual.Living in australia i believe that the kids are more grown up than perhaps elsewhere.She was so great.im so proud of her she has a bisexual friend at school and she tolerates everything and is supportive.So she then told me how and what she has done with boys... i nearly fell over but the honesty was beautiful.Most 14 year olds would not be telling their mother of their first oral experiences.So to all you parents of early teens i wish you well and hopefully when you discuss this with you kids it will go as smoothly as mine did :flag4:

TorontoGuy2007
Feb 8, 2007, 1:59 PM
wow, guess this is another example of just how much younger kids are getting sexual these days. that is awesome that you are able to talk about sex with your kids and that there is a strong understanding there. i never talked about sex with my parents until i was 25, and they felt very uncomfortable with it. good for you to open up. parent-children relationships are so important and it's great that you can be up front and honest with them, as they can with you.

Fire Lotus
Feb 8, 2007, 2:42 PM
I told my son about me when he was a teenager. (He's now 21) He was unphased by it but also supportive. He also told me in a 'matter of fact' tone that he knew kids in school who were bisexual.

As for any kind of sex talks, I had always tied to make him feel comfortable about questions or just topics that may be on his mind. When he was just learning about things, I'd rather he come to me thaan get false or incomplete information from someone else.

When he had girlfriends, he didn't go into details about wht he did with them. But I knew of his first time and of one girlfriend he had who was still a virgin because she only did oral, for example. I've raised my son alone, so no father to hand off the tough questions or issues to.

innaminka
Feb 8, 2007, 5:30 PM
My two are (daughters) just 16 and late 13.
I have not come out to either of them. I see no reason to do so until my sexuality starts to impact on our family life - which at present it doesn't.
I'm just "mum" and atm we'll keep it that way.
No, it isn't a denial situation - I've agonised over telling them for quite a while, and i believe I am in touch with them enough to know when the time will be right.
I am sure my oldest knows there's something different about me, but she hasn't really asked, despite myself and my husband being quite open about their sexual queries. Also, the children are aware that lovemaking between my husband and myself is a very important part of our marriage - tho we have never talked openly about anything we do.

Being a parent is difficult - being a bi parent just adds another layer of complexity. Hopefully when the time comes the response will be "we knew anyway"

julie
Feb 8, 2007, 6:08 PM
Hello to all ive just recently told my 14 year old daughter that myself and hubby are bisexual.Living in australia i believe that the kids are more grown up than perhaps elsewhere.She was so great.im so proud of her she has a bisexual friend at school and she tolerates everything and is supportive.So she then told me how and what she has done with boys... i nearly fell over but the honesty was beautiful.Most 14 year olds would not be telling their mother of their first oral experiences.So to all you parents of early teens i wish you well and hopefully when you discuss this with you kids it will go as smoothly as mine did :flag4:

Hi there...

i'm in the UK but have had a very similar experience with my teenage boys to the ones you describe. at 13 and 15 years, they've known for a couple of years now. like your daughter, they seem to feel safe enough to open up about their own experiences, and anxieties, surrounding sex and their developing sexuality.

i sometimes worry that i'm too open and that could be a burden for them... but my gut and their open acceptance and ease suggests otherwise.

i also have a 7 year old daughter who i am a little more cagey with. for no other reason than to protect her innocence. she knows i like women as well as men and was very interested to learn of the new laws where men can now marry men and women can marry women... great news for 7 year olds, regardless of gender! my daughter is very pleased to know she will have a choice and has decided to marry a boy 'to get a baby' and then 'break up with him and marry a girl instead :wiggle2: so thats her sorted then. :bigrin:

... as a lone parent, like someone else mentioned, it is less complex. we have both power and responsibility in equal measures..a priviledge indeed.

smiles, julie :female: xx

canuckotter
Feb 8, 2007, 8:30 PM
I guess I've got a few years yet before I have to worry about this... considering my son's only about 2.5 months old! :tong: He's watching me type this right now, actually... He seems fascinated by the cursor moving around and the letters scrolling casually across the screen. Luckily he can't read yet! ;) But anyway, I suspect that when the time comes it won't be an issue... My wife and I are still very close with her brother (who we lived with for three years and only just moved about 200m down the street from) and his roommates, all of whom are gay. I'm thinking that at a very early age he'll have examples of male-male couples, and one of our friends we see only occasionally is in a female-female couple (married, no less!) so I'm assuming he'll see them occasionally as well. I suspect he'll be pretty open-minded about the whole bisexuality thing. ;)

LoveLion
Feb 12, 2007, 1:01 AM
If I ever have kids I am going to raise them knowing I am Bi. I think that would be better than hiding it and then coming out to them when they are teenagers and have grown up in a "straight" environment.

I also will raise them as bisexuals. lol. I know that sounds harsh but it isnt. That doesn't mean I will force any sexual orientation on them. IT just means I will raise them with the idea that love and romance is not something between a man and a woman, but something between two people. I will raise them with the mind set that they can love any one they want freely and openly and that there is absolutely nothing wrong or unnatural about that person being of the same gender. Love is Love and Gender has absolutely nothing to do with it.

PS. If a child is raised by a homosexual couple, do they have to "come out" if they turn out to be strait?

Lorcan
Feb 12, 2007, 1:10 AM
If I ever have kids I am going to raise them knowing I am Bi. I think that would be better than hiding it and then coming out to them when they are teenagers and have grown up in a "straight" environment.

Yes, we've done that. It is a blessing raising a very accepting child.

ElizabethJane
Feb 12, 2007, 3:15 PM
PS. If a child is raised by a homosexual couple, do they have to "come out" if they turn out to be strait?

I absolutely loved this question, thank you for writing it!

Just a note -

Straight parents do not discuss their sexual habits with their kids, do they? I mean - if you are true to yourself and your kids as LoveLion mentioned love will be taught as something between two people, and not the stigma as between a man and a woman. Feelings happen between people in general regardless of gender - as its always been, from the beginning, and will most likely always be. Lets raise our children well.

Much love. :female:

welickit
Feb 12, 2007, 4:04 PM
We don't do the double standard thing. Never have and never will. Some people prefer living their lie to their kids, we prefer being open and honest. Hell look at the number of so called bi guys hiding from talking with their own wife on here! For better or for worse and they can't even talk to their wife. Sounds like they created worse. Kids ask questions, they can tell when you lie. Easier to tell one truth than try remembering 100 lies. It works but a liar will never believe it. :2cents: