PDA

View Full Version : this was my smile for the day...

bigirl_inwv
Feb 1, 2007, 12:49 AM
Hope you guys enjoy!!!

Dear Mr. Bush

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you and understand why you would propose and support a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage. As you said "in the eyes of God marriage is based between a man a woman." I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness -Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 9:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev. 24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Author Unknown

"Where there is love there is life."
--Mahatma Gandhi
:bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:

tom_uk
Feb 1, 2007, 1:56 AM
1. Nothing wrong with owning a Canadian
2. I can pay $10.47 for your daughter ($ Canadian)
3. Menstruating women should be in doors.
4. Lev 1.9a Burn your bull when the wind is from he SW
5. Yes you are morally obligated to kill him myself
6. Eating shellfish is an abomination, Homosexuality is an abomination.
7. Laser surgery is the only answer
8. Stoned to death thank you.
9. No
10. Yes it is necessary to get the whole town together to stone them. Can’t you read

Tom_uk aka dog

TorontoGuy2007
Feb 1, 2007, 1:57 AM
like i have always said. the bible was written by human beings, not God.. and if these are all legit bible quotes, then it is a sign that global Human Rights have come a long way since the day this bible was written.. and for those of you who claim to support this religion, might wanna re-read the bible and decide if these rules/values really are for you!

holybane
Feb 1, 2007, 2:36 PM
I laugh. Hee-hee.

leizy
Feb 1, 2007, 7:12 PM
this was actually written a while back, i think, to Dr. Laura...

but that's my name!!
Feb 1, 2007, 7:37 PM
Bush is as thick as a plank, Blair is an arsehole and shellfish are definatly an abomination (I'm allergic).
Oh and as for organised religion, for fuck sake people think for yourselves.

NorthBiEast
Feb 1, 2007, 8:04 PM
I actually read Leviticus once, when my hubby and I were researching for our wedding scriptures. That is one MESSED UP piece of literature. Its page after page of what live sacrifices you should make when, with a bit thrown in about "don't cut your hair" and what not to eat. Its the stuff cults in bad 80's movies are made of :eek:

Herbwoman39
Feb 2, 2007, 4:14 PM
If I'm remembering correctly there's also a passage about stoning a disobedient child. I have two teenage sons, so by that logic they should both be long dead.

What's really scary is that people used to live by those laws.

tom_uk
Feb 2, 2007, 5:19 PM
What's really scary is that people used to live by those laws.

what's really scary is that some people still do

tom_uk

nothings5d
Feb 2, 2007, 6:34 PM
this was actually written a while back, i think, to Dr. Laura...

Yes it was, it was published under the title "Why can't I own a Canadian?"

You can still find it on the internet if you search for the title...

julie
Feb 19, 2007, 4:59 PM
what's really scary is that some people still do

tom_uk

indeed....intelligent/ educated people at that....

... although if they do this because it truly is their hearts desire to please God, and they take these words literally as the only way to achieve their goal... then i am deeply humbled by their depth of faith...

but, as the new testament does explore, if they do it to appear holy but it is all just religious acts with no underlying faith or love.... then its meaningless..

... it is bloody scary though....(my interpretation of this behaviour btw..not the bibles!)

julie
:female:

DuskTillDawn
Feb 19, 2007, 7:54 PM
Thx for that, it definatly cheered me up.

It does scare me slightly though how the most powerful man in the world is using these values as a basis on how to run a country on the 21st centuary. Its times like these that I am glad I live in Scotland (despite the lack of our own leader - but rather be ruled by another country than a monkey to be honest).

P.S. No offence to any Bush fans out there!

P.P.S. (or is it P.S.S.), if it says homosexuality is bad and not bisexuality does tht mean most of us r off the hook? or does it just specify same-sex relationships? I spose if it was just homosexuals they cud all plead bi and b let off. Its all so complicated!

12voltman59
Feb 19, 2007, 9:58 PM
It does amaze me that we have in our world today, a considerable number of seemingly otherwise intelligent people who believe that the bible is the uncontestable, irrefutable "Word of God."

I have never taken the bible as literal, but more as allegory and metaphor--that it certainly is a good history of those people, their times and places and that there are of course things that transpired in their lives that parallel our own...

But as a blueprint for the way I live my life--sorry --I just cannot do that.

It does seem that so many on the religious right cherry pick what they care too from the bible and of course--a clever person can pick out some part of the bible to justify just about any action imaginable---

There is also the trouble with reliable translations----some of the words used in the original texts can have such variable meaning and contexts and can be construed in just about any fashion one would chose to be effectively unreliable at best or useless at worst.

I simply cannot trust the varying translations of the bible.

I do find it of great amusement that King James--whose bible is a favorite of the fundamentalist religious right was a flaming queer!!!!

Ya wonder how they can accept the King James version of the bible since a homosexual is a horrible sinner and by extension---anything relating to such a sinner has to be tainted with that evil!!

Just my :2cents: on this little topic!!!! :smilies15 :smilies15 :bigrin: :bigrin: :devil: :devil:

Nara_lovely
Feb 20, 2007, 5:53 AM
Ah, needed that laugh!

Thankyou!!

izzfan
Feb 20, 2007, 9:11 AM
Lol! I like it, very funny! Yeah, I have to say that the even funnier thing is that there are actually some people who believe these rules. Just google "Chick publications" and you'll see what I mean.

Izzfan :flag2:

julie
Feb 20, 2007, 11:29 AM
I do find it of great amusement that King James--whose bible is a favorite of the fundamentalist religious right was a flaming queer!!!!

Ya wonder how they can accept the King James version of the bible since a homosexual is a horrible sinner and by extension---anything relating to such a sinner has to be tainted with that evil!!

Just my :2cents: on this little topic!!!! :smilies15 :smilies15 :bigrin: :bigrin: :devil: :devil:

Ha Ha ha!.... Oh sweet delicious irony.... thanks for that 12 voltman :upside: that rather turns everything on its head for the fundamentalists methinks... but i'm sure they will find some way of explaining it away...

Having spent half my lifetime spent trying to make sense of my own deep experiences of a truly all loving, all embracing God. My experience is at complete odds with so much of Christian teaching which seems to have a hiararchy starting with those who are white, male, middle-class, married with a nuclear family etc etc...down down down down to a complete underclass of outsiders( untouchables?) who are not heterosexual and are self accepting of the people they are....

those of us who are transgendered, whether self accepting of this or not, seem to be completely off the scale and their very human existence not even dignified by acknowledgement of their presence in this world we all inhabit.

.....not all Christians are like this though...of course! some of us search for deeper truths than those spouted by the mainstream churches. I have put my name to http://www.inclusivechurch.net which is an oasis for those of us whose life experiences bear no resemblance to the lifestyles so forcibly placed on us by so called men and women of God.

Christ, when he was lifted up did not say 'i lift some people to myself' he said 'i draw all All ALL!"

Archbishop Desmond Tutu (as quoted by inclusivechurch.net.)

:2cents: Julie :female:

12voltman59
Feb 20, 2007, 12:12 PM
I just started reading a very interesting book written by an evangelical Christian minister--many of you have probably heard of him: Jim Wallis.

His book, God's Poltics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It, was written after the 2004 presidential election.

Wallis argues that God is not on the side of any political party and that to try to say otherwise--is to be totally contrary to the true nature of Christianity. He also chides those on the left for not engaging in the dialog and basically letting the right control "religion."

He points out that most of the advancements we have made in our society such as ending slavery and eventually at least reducing the intense racisim of our society. That progressive movements, lead by individuals such as the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr are very much part and parcel what it means to be Christian.

I know that I have developed a deep and abiding antipathy for "Christianity" but it is because Christianity has been hijacked by an extremist fringe and politicos who give lip service to that element only because it serves them in their greater effort to hold the reigns of power.

Wallis has long championed the rights of gays and believes it is wrong that the christian rights uses the issue as a bludgeon in their desire to gain political power.

julie
Feb 20, 2007, 4:49 PM
.. you speak my language 12voltman... probably more than you might imagine...

i really value your posts because they are reasoned, well thought out and.. dare i say it?.. come across in a loving, empathic way rather than a 'lets throw the Christians to the lions' kind of approach.. which sadly seems to happen a lot in these forums :(

the bottom line is dont feel like an oppressed minority ducking the sly shots with your posts...rather i feel informed and respected, which is a pretty good feeling... so hey, thanks for that..it means a lot.

julie
:female: x

Mrs. Taz
Feb 20, 2007, 11:02 PM
ok, I didnt find anything funny at all. who ever came up with all of this is obviously not a believer in the Bible it looks like. I also thought that one of our rules we all set here was to not talk politics and religion cause it can start arguements.

julie
Feb 21, 2007, 8:27 AM
..i'm sad that you are feeling troubled by this threads contents dear Kitten Taz...

..i do think Drews 'Posting Rules' go some way towards addressing your concerns though... i've cut and pasted them below as its good to re-read them occasionally, especially when members such as yourself feel bruised or worse by some of the more opinionated veiws that get aired on here.

''Generally I am not a "rules person", but experience with various internet communities has taught me that rules are necessary, even on a site that is all about about sexual freedom such as Bisexual.com. So here they are:
1. Don't post your personal ad here. They just clutter up the forums. By far the best thing to do if you are looking to meet people is create a quality personal ad under your "My Account" control panel. These ads then show up highlighted to people in your area.
2. Be polite - flame the idea if you feel you must, but not the person.
3. Sexual freedom is what it's all about, but even it should have limits - discussions of non-consensual sex, violence and sex, or sex involving children are not welcome here, will be promptly deleted, and the poster may be banned.
4. Have fun. Learn. Share. Entertain. Discuss. Argue. Enlighten.
- Drew''

hope this is helpful?

love julie xxx

IanBorthwick
Feb 21, 2007, 5:10 PM
When it comes to laws and rules, I have very few as I have seen that people tend to use them as a running shield of distraction to allow them to force their own agenda. The bible was and is one of those very shields to allow the people with fears to push those they fear into position for a mass shooting.

I have one rule and one alone: Be good and decent to everyone...maybe it will come back to you.

Hoselvr
Feb 21, 2007, 6:43 PM
I love that letter to Dr. Laura. I had actually seen it previously thanks to another member here.

Many of the reasons people gave in this forum are why I am a recovering Catholic, LOL. I still believe there is a God, but many religions are for the birds. Very cultish (if that's word) and big business that creates prejudice against those who are different from the norm. As I believe someone else here stated, "....think for yourself.....".

jamiehue
Feb 21, 2007, 7:46 PM
Let not talk about religion nor politics .....That will happen if you dont.