PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of being on the internet today

12voltman59
Jan 24, 2007, 5:29 AM
Check this one out---kind of makes ya shiver a bit to read this ....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lindsay-beyerstein/connecticut-teacher-facin_b_39384.html

Long Duck Dong
Jan 24, 2007, 6:35 AM
I feel for that poor lady.....anybody that has experienced a malware loop, would understand that the links are loading faster than the user can shut them down......and having to deal with kids at the same time...

sadly in this day and age, there is no * innocent til proven guilty *, there is just * wait for your sentence *

she will either get convicted and appeal, or it will be dropped...but I hope she sues the ass off the people responsible for the lack of security with the computer..... cos she will need the money.....legal fees and loss of income, are nothing comparable to having her rep shot to pieces....and even if she is cleared of any wrong doing, she will be blacklisted in a lot of places

thinman521
Jan 24, 2007, 7:48 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lindsay-beyerstein/connecticut-teacher-facin_b_39384.html
undefinedundefined If this true we sure need to rewrite some laws. Sounds like Hilters Germany.

canuckotter
Jan 24, 2007, 9:26 AM
Forget the techs... The lawyer's the one who should be penalised. Discovery's a pretty bloody important part of the legal process, anyone even peripherally connected with the legal system should have known that failing to include malware in the discovery phase could have made related testimony inadmissible.

Poor woman. With a half-way competent lawyer the case would have been dropped before she even got to court.

izzfan
Jan 24, 2007, 12:52 PM
Here's an idea for the modern politically-correct legal system , why don't you prosecute the person who wrote the malware under hacking/virus laws rather than prosecuting an innocent teacher who didn't actually do anything. LDD, I well and truly agree with you about the principle of the criminal 'justice' system being "Wait for your sentence" - very well put. It's just as bad in the UK with Chairman Bliar and his ASBOs [don't need a criminal trial to give someone one, it criminalises otherwise lawful behaviour and you can theoretically get locked up for not actually committing a criminal act.... just google ASBOs and although some may seem justified there are some REALLY stupid ones..... British politics is a farce these days].
Then you have the USA/UK terror and extradition laws, these are very disturbing. In Orwell's 1984, it is stated that Oceania [the totalitarian state the book is set in which is meant to mirror a possible future Britain] is constantly at war because people always tend to blindly obey their Government in times of war... I mean, the USA is simply making more enemies with its Patriot act [its strange cos the US constitution forbids flag burning but a simple act of congress can metaphorically burn the constitution and all the protections it gives].
The modern legal system is well and truly going down the drain these days and it is the innocent that will truly suffer such as this teacher. I think we need a return to the age old principles of 'innocent until proven guilty' and the rights enshrined in the US constitution, the "UK Constitution" [something that people claim we have, unfortunately it is conveniently unwritten and open to any interpretation.... however, if they wrote one these days, the first article would probably be "you have the right to remain silent..."], the universal declaration of human rights [eg: Put Bu$h and Bliar in front of an international trial for torture, war crimes etc...] etc....

Sorry to get a bit heavy but when I start a political rant I find it hard to stop lol :soapbox:

Izzfan :flag3:

12voltman59
Jan 24, 2007, 1:13 PM
What I find scary about the way things are today---if the prosecutor's and police decide you are their "person of interest" in a criminal case----it is almost as though they put blinders focusing only on your and try with all their might to convict you--irrespective of the strength or lack thereof of the evidence against you or evidence that might implicate someone else.

The prosecutors don't seem to care if they really get the right person--just that they get someone---and once they do target someone--they can't back away from that position since it "we don't make any mistakes."

Hell--there have been many cases of late where someone convicted of a crime gets declared innocent after many years and they get released from prison and are free and clear-but then they re-arrested when the prosecutor's file conspiracy charges or something against them--there was one such case detailed on a recent episode of "48 Hours Mystery."

At least one prosecutor is going to go down for being overzealous---Nifong in Durham, NC is going to get the case against the Duke LaCross players accused of rape most likely dismissed--Nifong is going to a hearing today where he might get disbarred for his misconduct in the case.

jedinudist
Jan 24, 2007, 2:00 PM

How terrifyingly sad. Another example of the Gestapo ... er, our justice system at work.

allbimyself
Jan 24, 2007, 5:50 PM
its strange cos the US constitution forbids flag burning but a simple act of congress can metaphorically burn the constitution and all the protections it gives

Not disagreeing with any points, just want to clarify. "Flag burning" is in no way forbidden by the US Constitution. And, no, a "simply act of Congress" can not remove the protections of the Constitution. They can try, but they would need the complacency of the Judicial branch to succeed. Not saying that can't happen, just clarifying.

NorthBiEast
Jan 24, 2007, 10:34 PM
The thing that angers me the most is that if she had actually slept with the students, she probably wouldn't be doing any jail time at all. Where I went to college, they haven't been able to sucessfully try a sexual assault case for 5 years (and not for lack of trying, believe me). One of my high school teachers was openly involved in a relation with one of my classmates and he didn't even get fired!! I still have enough faith in the system (God only knows how) to believe that people do what they can to punish the people who need it, but I find it hard to believe that "allowing" kids to view pop up ads is a higher priority crime than other abuses. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: