PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at writing.

bigirl_inwv
Jan 12, 2007, 2:08 PM
Ok guys. I am attempting to write a story about my stint with drugs. I don't know what I plan on doing with it, other than have it sit on my computer, I just know that I want to write it. I looked for writing websites that I could post it on and get opinions, but found none that I really wanted to use. So, i decided I would post it here, where I KNOW that I will get honest opinions. Its long, and not even finished yet, so I understand if you dont want to read it. But I would really appreciate some feedback on it. What do you think????

I remember that feeling, the rush that you get with the first inhalation, the first bump, the first taste. I remember the stinging, the inside of my nostrils feeling like a heifer being branded. I remember the fun, oh the fun. It was great, for a little while anyway. But more than anything, I remember the downfall. You never know what it’s like until you go through it. And I’m here to tell you I’ve been through it. And it sucks.

I was born normal enough, my parents barely in high school, living with my grandmother and grandfather in a shit-hole town in southern West Virginia. We were dirt poor but we ate at night. My grandfather worked in the coal mines alongside every other male in our area. When he got laid off, there was nothing else he could do. He’d been a miner since he was old enough to have a job and at the time, mining was your only option where we lived. So we packed up and shipped off. We moved 5 hours away to another shit-hole town that no one cared about. Only this time it was in Virginia and things there were supposed to be great.

I was 4 years old when I realized my grandfather was an alcoholic. The memory is foggy, like most early childhood memories are, but it is definitely still there. It was raining outside, the ditch in front of our house brimming with a steady flood of dirty water. I was sitting in the living room watching old Bugs Bunny cartoons in my Little Mermaid nightgown. I heard the rumble of my grandfathers ’78 chevy truck and then the gravel crunching beneath its balding tires.
“Get in the basement.” my grandmother said, wiping the dishwater from her hands with a stained dishtowel.
“But...” I started.
“No buts. I said go. Now.” She replied harshly.
I stood up, aggravated at not being able to continue watching Bugs outwit Elmer Fudd. I opened the door to the basement and prepared for my descent. I heard the front door turn and I stopped, looking for my grandfather to come in and scold my grandmother for interrupting my cartoons. However, when he opened the door he fell, right at my grandmother’s feet.
“Where in the hell have you been?” My grandmother screamed.
My grandfather’s reply was simply rolling in the floor laughing at her.
“Like I even need to ask,” she scoffed. “You’re drunk. You’re A drunk, a good for nothing, son of a bitch, drunk. Here we are, barely making it, barely putting food on the table, and you are out blowing our money on booze. Think about your family for once.”
She had said it. The magic words. The one thing that was guaranteed to get my grandfather’s blood boiling.
“God damnit woman,” he screamed, drunkenly rising to his feet. “Thinking about my family is what drives me to drink! I have a son living here with his girlfriend who was knocked up at 15, a daughter living here with her asshole of a husband and their 2 year old, another son that I’m pretty sure is a faggot, a couple of other strays that we managed to pick up along the way, and here you stand bitching at me over a couple of god damned drinks!” He paused and seeing me in the doorway said “What in the fuck are you looking at?”
I turned down the steps and ran.

In my neighborhood, you had to fight to survive, or I did anyway. We were the only white family on the block and some people didn’t like that very much. The two little girls across the street, Mary and Cynthia, were the only companions I had and I was lucky I had them.
“Why yo’ skin so light?” Cynthia asked me one day.
“I dunno.” I replied sheepishly. “Why is yours so dark?”
“An’ why you talk like that?” she continued.
“Talk like what? I talk just like you do.” I didn’t know what she meant. I didn’t talk funny. If anything, she was the one who talked differently.
“You sound like dem girls from Little House on the Prairie.” She giggled.
“I do not!”
“Do so!”
“Do not!!”
“Why Poppa, we was just fixin’ to go down yonder and fetch that cow so we could milk her!” she teased.
For some reason, that did it. I was fuming. It was as if she had started a fire and I had fallen head first into it. Then it just happened. I hit her. I hit her right in the mouth. I’m sure it hurt me more than it did her. I split open my middle knuckle on her teeth and she went home crying with nothing more than a bruised ego and a plot for revenge.
I waited and waited, but the revenge never came. By standing up for myself I had, in a way I will never understand, earned her respect. In earning hers, I had her sister’s respect as well. After that, you never saw us without each other. We roamed those streets like we owned them. I guess in a way we did. Everyone on the block knew Mary and Cynthia, always asked them how their father was doing. Seemed to me that they were very popular people, only I didn’t know just why they were so popular.

“It’s really hot out here.” Mary sighed, wiping the sweat beads that were falling down her forehead. “Let’s go inside and play.”
I had never been inside of their house before and I was really nervous about it.
“I dunno.” I stuttered. “It’s not too bad out here. I kind of like it.”
“Well fine then. You sit out here in this heat and I’ll go inside and play alone.” With that she was up and running before I even had a chance to protest.
“Hey! Wait up!” I cried, climbing to my feet.
By the time I caught up, Mary had already opened the door and was walking inside. Quickly, I followed her through the door and closed it behind me. I stood there for a moment to let my eyes adjust to the dimness of the room. Slowly, a tattered old couch came into my vision. It was white, or used to be at some point in time. The seams had split on the arms and you could now see the yellow foam on the inside. There was a red and white crotched afghan across the back, I suppose as an attempt to make things feel a bit more like a home. In front of it sat a small, glass top coffee table. The table was covered with junk; mail, soda cans, cigarette packs, ashes from an overturned ash tray, a small mirror, and twist ties. To my left stood an old television, blaring Days of Our Lives to anyone that cared enough to listen. On top of the TV was a fish tank, with one big Oscar swimming in its murky waters. I stood there and watched him, just swimming round and round. A voice at my shoulder pulled me out of my trance.
“We used to have other fish in there too, but he ate them.”
I turned to see who the voice belonged to. There was a man, the biggest man I had ever seen. His skin was the color of rich milk chocolate, his eyes like two chunks of caramel. He had on a white tank top, tight over the bulk of his muscles, and dark jeans.
“Go ahead, put your finger in there and see what happens.” He laughed.
“Dad, leave her alone.” Mary said, coming over to grab my hand. “Come on, let’s go.”
“Aww…come on. I was just messin with the girl!” He said, still chuckling.
His laugh was warming, a deep, guttural laugh. Against the dark of his skin, his teeth were blindingly white. He was beautiful.
“You girls go on and play. I promise I won’t bother you.” He said, pushing us towards the kitchen. Mary rolled her eyes and pulled me into her room. We played for hours, everything that our little minds could come up with. When we had exhausted all of our options, I decided that it was time for me to return home. Walking towards the living room, I began to smell a strange odor. It was smoke, but unlike any smoke that I had ever smelled before. I entered the living room to a cloud of gray-blue hovering in the air, more of which was pouring out of the mouth of Cynthia and Mary’s father.
“Man.” Mary lamented. “Dad’s smoking again.”
“Smoking what?” I asked
“Weed.” She replied matter-of-factly.
I didn’t reply. I didn’t know what weed was at the time and I wasn’t about to tell her that I didn’t know. I just knew that standing in that room was starting to make my stomach hurt and I needed to get out.
“Well, I’m gonna go. I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said, walking towards the front door.
“Alright. Bye.” She replied, turning back towards her room.
I opened the door and walked out. Their father never even noticed I was gone.

TorontoGuy2007
Jan 12, 2007, 2:45 PM
Hi West Virginia,

wow, that was quite the powerful piece of writing.. very detailed and descriptive account of what you went thru.. reading some of the first parts about your grandfather actually made me cry..

yes, i can tell that this is just the beginning of what could be a long, detailed account of your drug experiences.. i obviously don't know the rest of the story and i obviously don't know you very well, but i can tell that these experiences have caused you some emotional scars that you may still be dealing with today..

i think we all had some traumatic events or experiences as youths that affect us in our every day lives for the rest of our lives..

it can be good therapy to just write your thoughts down, and even better to share your story. even just to have us on here read it will probably make you feel better..

anyway, not exactly sure what feedback you are looking for, but reading this part so far has definitely caught my curiousity.. and i can't wait to read the next chapter, assuming you will indeed be writing more and will be willing to share it..

both of my parents came from disfunctional homes. alcohol addiction was a major problem in one of them.. domestic abuse in the other.. both my parents couldn't wait to get outta their homes, and when they met, it was a perfect opportunity for them to run off and get married and escape.. in the end, they married too young and too quickly and weren't a very good match for each other.. but they were together far too long, including long enough to have me..

anyway, the concept of reading about alcoholism really facinates me as i hope it can help me understand what my mother went thru in her home life, how it affected her, and how it affected the way she raised me..

anyway, thanks for sharing your story.. and feel free to ask me for any type of feedback or questions or anything you'd like to discuss..

take care
TorontoGuy

LoveLion
Jan 12, 2007, 3:39 PM
A very nice start. I am eager to read more. Your writing skill is quite good. Its the little things that make up good writing (ie using "Mary lamented" rather than "Mary said") that make up good writing and you have got it down.

I really like how you started the story, describing the sensation of drug use (both good and bad). I found that this intro ended a little short though. I was just getting pulled into it all when you started talking about your childhood. My advice is extend that first paragraph a little more. There is the opportunity to create a great effect and a awesome hook for your story. Your first paragraph starts to do that, but then ends a little to early. The way you started describing the little details of the sensation of drug use (the sting and all) is very affective and you should elaborate a little more on that.

I liked the way you chose to introduce your friends as being African-American as well. Rather then just saying it, you portrayed it through the dialog which gives it a much more natural feel.

I just have one more criticisms, that you may or may not like to take into consideration. And that is the use of swearing in the narrative. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind swearing, and in the dialog it makes perfect sense and fits, but it is out of place in the narrative. Swearing cheapens your story in a way. The way people talk and the way people write is very different and alot of the trouble I have had with my writing is defining what works in dialog and what works in a written piece. One of the challenges of writing is trying to express a feeling or emotion in the most affective way, and there are much better ways of doing so then using swear words. There are better words that will better express what you are trying to say and not damage the integrity of your work.

Other then that its turning out great and I must read more!

Herbwoman39
Jan 12, 2007, 3:50 PM
Never having dealt with drug addiction, I cannot imagine what you've gone through. But your wonderful use of word and imagery drew me in so that I could catch a glimpse into that world.

I would definitely love to read more.

DiamondDog
Jan 12, 2007, 4:01 PM
hey,
I really liked your writing how you put dialog in your writing and how you described things like the Oscar in the fish tank and other details.

When you write more if you feel comfortable posting it here would you?

bigirl_inwv
Jan 12, 2007, 4:11 PM
Thanks so much for all the help! It's really helped out alot. I'm going to continue working on it and will definately post the next installation for you guys to read!

Writing really has helped alot with the things that I was, and still am, dealing with. But sharing my story has helped even more. Thank you guys for everything!!!