PDA

View Full Version : Positive response in the main stream media

Herbwoman39
Jan 11, 2007, 10:48 AM
There is a response to a 14 year old girl in the Boston Globe who is questioning her sexuality. Check it out. The advice columnist was very open-minded and reassuring. Definitely worth the read.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2007/01/09/shes_confused_by_her_attraction_to_girls?p1=email_ to_a_friend

littlerayofsunshine
Jan 11, 2007, 1:52 PM
What a brave 14 year old girl in my opinion.

And what a beautiful response. I wish there would have been someone who would have spoken so openly and with so much understanding when I was at the age where I was questioning myself.

Ty for sharing this.

TorontoGuy2007
Jan 11, 2007, 3:43 PM
this is awesome..

not sure if anyone knows a site called Yahoo Answers, but there are tons of teens on there asking the exact same questions. heck, adults on there too asking away..

i agree, it is normal to have feelings of sorts.. i never got to do any experimenting as a kid or teen, with either sex, and i feel i totally missed out on that.. there is certainly a major learning curve we all go thru as we come to understand our own sexualities..

great to see this boston globe article's positive reaction.

NorthBiEast
Jan 11, 2007, 7:22 PM
This Beth seems very wise. I love how she stayed so neutral and yet so positive. :)

glantern954
Jan 11, 2007, 7:23 PM
This gave me a warm fuzzy.

bithonglover
Jan 11, 2007, 8:55 PM
There is a response to a 14 year old girl in the Boston Globe who is questioning her sexuality. Check it out. The advice columnist was very open-minded and reassuring. Definitely worth the read.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2007/01/09/shes_confused_by_her_attraction_to_girls?p1=email_ to_a_friend

Definately a good little read. Beth hits the nail on the head on this article. Thanks Herbwoman for the link.

:bipride:

Long Duck Dong
Jan 11, 2007, 9:35 PM
its not often that a columnist impresses me.... this one not only encouraged the person to feel good about them selves and their feelings, but also stated that it happens a lot, but few people admit to it

one part that got my eye was the mention of homophobia and biphobia....she mentioned them as two seperate situations.....and thats so right

Lyon1369
Jan 11, 2007, 9:42 PM
GODS!!!!! That is SO cool. Where the hell was this woman when I was a kid?
Oh its so refreshing to see that.
Thanks for sharing that with us.
:flag4:

izzfan
Jan 11, 2007, 10:53 PM
The column was wonderful, I mean it is important for LGBT youth to have advice and support. I'm sure many of you felt isolation when you were younger on account of being 'different' from all of your friends and I was no exception [didn't (knowingly) have any LGBT friends until I got to university ] .
I also congratulate the courage of the teenage who wrote the letter to the newspaper in the first place. When I was 14 [suffering a lot of self-loathing about my TV/CD side (I still am) and not yet aware of any latent bisexuality] I certainly wouldn't have to courage to write to a newspaper [even anonymously] about my sexuality, so congratulations to the girl who wrote to the paper.

Izzfan :flag3:

Avocado
Jan 12, 2007, 11:18 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm. The article kind of implies that you're only bi if you have and continue relations with both genders, to me at least.