PDA

View Full Version : Need an answer to a computer technical question!!!

12voltman59
Dec 28, 2006, 1:12 PM
I recently got a new notebook computer and I also decided the best way to get online for me would be to get one of those plug in cards from my cell phone provider.

That method of getting online works well, but it has presented me with a new problem--when I use that method of acessing the Interet--I cannot get into the chat room for some reason.

I contacted Drew and the site's webmaster about this problem and they were not able to help, nor was Verizon wireless.

In it's entirity--here is the message I get when I try to get to the chat room:

"Could not connect to main.bisexual.com.8080.

Possible reasons include:
* The chat server at main.bisexual.com is temporarily unavailable.

*Your computer is behind a firewall or proxy server. Please ensure that your firewall permits outgoing TCP connections to main.bisexual.com on port 8080."

When I called Verizon, their tech people had me find each firewall I do have operating--I have two of them and then they had me disable them--that did not do anything-the same message still came up when I tried to get to chat --they said they do not have any firewall or proxy server that would prevent my connecting to a chat room but the trouble may lay with the site itself or that my 8080 port is not working or is occupied.

The site's webmaster sent me a message and said the problem probably is with Verizon--so I am stumped and stymied.

It was also suggested that I call my computer manufacturer's tech line and ask them about Port 8080's status-- I have not done that as yet.

I can get to the site and chat if I go to some place that has Wi-Fi and I get online that way---

A few questions--what is Port 8080? could that be what port the wireless card is connected too?

Any info some of you computer savy folks can offer would be appreciated.

I am committed now to getting my online access via Verizon since I bought the card, signed up for the service and had my other internet access dropped. I like the freedom this provides me but it's a bummer it has prevented me from chatting---

happyjoe68
Dec 28, 2006, 2:27 PM
I'm an Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, so here's an answer:

Port 8080 is commonly used as a port on proxy servers for web access.

A proxy server is a gateway between a user and the internet. They are usually used in environments with large numbers of computer users. For example, it would be daft (and expensive) to give every user in the company where I work an IP address on the internet in a manner similar to broadband users. Proxies allow companies to "present" just one address to the internet. This also allows companies to "hide" behind a proxy, because just like firewalls, they hide the IP address of the user accessing the webpage - proxies arent as effective as firewalls in this respect, but its useful. Proxies also cache content from websites, eg news sites, so that rather than access the internet each time someone wants that page, the proxy just presents the latest version it has - hitting the refresh button on the browser can force many proxies to go the webpage and get the latest version.

Proxy servers can also act as censors allowing or preventing users from accessing any content the administrators/company wants.

The message "Your computer is behind a firewall or proxy server. Please ensure that your firewall permits outgoing TCP connections to main.bisexual.com on port 8080."

There are several avenues open to you.

1. You cannot access the site even with both firewalls disabled. Can you access any other site? If so, go to point 3. If not, go to point 2.

2. Again disable both firewalls on your computer, and then check the internet access settings in your browser. If you installed your card and installed connection software from a CD that came with the card, that might have changed the settings in your browser. If you use Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, LAN settings, and see whether there are any details in Proxy Server. If there are, untick the box, click OK, close the other boxes and try connecting again. If you sue Firefox, go to Tools, Options, Advanced, Network, Connection, and you will see connection setting for a proxy. If the details are filled in change them to "direct connection to the internet" and see what happens. If you can connect, this was the cause, if not, go to point 3.

3. If all of the steps havent worked, then I will bet that Verizon's proxy server is the cause. I would also try accessing the site from another computer with a different internet service provider (if thats possible). If you can access the site from another computer accessing the internet via another comany, go back to Verizon and explain that you have done all of these checks and that you believe the fault is with their proxy server (they may also use webfiltering software and it stopped you accessing the site because of the word "sex")

Good luck.

welickit
Dec 28, 2006, 3:39 PM
I agree with HappyJoe....unless there is a program using the port when you boot. You could and might well have a simple conflict. Not all hardware and software play well together. :2cents:

allbimyself
Dec 28, 2006, 4:16 PM
sorry, no, the people at verizon are full of it. First, there isn't a "conflict on port 8080." Port 8080 is the port on the server, NOT on your computer. Outbound network connections use a random unnassigned port, not a specific one, so there cannot be a port conflict on YOUR laptop (except for esoteric situations where Windows isn't giving any application a port, but if that were the case you couldn't make any network connections.)

Second, when you use a wireless hotspot and are able to connect to chat that tells the whole story. What is the only thing different? Not your laptop and not the chat server, it's your connection. Many ISPs, in their infinite wisdom :rolleyes: , disable connections to certain ports. I would wager 100:1 that verizon has blocked outbound connections to port 8080. Getting them to a) admit that, and b) do something about it is going to be near impossible I'm afraid.

Also, them saying they have no proxy or firewall is complete whitewash. Verizons ROUTERS prevent connections to certain ports outside of their network for various reasons. Basically, they only allow connections to "standard" services (8080 is not a standard port in their view). I'm sure they are thinking of IRC which is NOT blocked (they heard "chat" and assumed).

How do I know this? Because I run an ISP and have had to deal with customer's problems connecting for something as simple as email when they are on Verizon wireless. This doesn't happen with Verizon DSL or FIOS, just wireless.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you.

mannysg
Dec 28, 2006, 10:20 PM
Your computer CAN BLOCK port 8080, or any other port if it has a firewall, and all Windows XP Service pack 2 PCs have a firewall enabled by default.

Information is sent thru a network (e.g. the internet) in packets. Port numbers are used to determine what application the packet contains. For example, port 25 is email, port 80 is http (normal internet), https (secure http) is port 443, etc.

Routers also use ports, not just proxy servers. As Allbumyself said, Verizon's routers might be blocking that port.

With all that said.....

If you can connect with a WiFi connection (or a wired connection) but not thru your cell phone, I see 2 possibilities:

1. Verizon is the problem, They are blocking the chat room in some way, probably by blocking the port. But they could also be blocking Java, which the chat room uses.

2. (Which is what I suspect the problem to be,) Your connection speed is too slow for the chat room.

This error message:

Possible reasons include:
* The chat server at main.bisexual.com is temporarily unavailable.

Often appears when the browser times out, i.e. it doesn't get the data from the web site as quickly as it expects to get it.

allbimyself
Dec 28, 2006, 11:17 PM
Windows XP SP2 firewall blocks applications, not ports.

mannysg
Dec 29, 2006, 6:19 AM
Windows XP SP2 firewall blocks applications, not ports.

Yes, XP SP2 blocks applications. It does so by blocking ports. On the surface, it doesn't appear to use port numbers since it always refers to applications. It does so since few people would understand that in order to allow FTP, you need to allow port 21, or to allow remote desktop you have to allow port 3389, etc.

In order to block (or allow) the application, it has to know what application is in the packet being sent across the network. Within the packet is the port number, which tells units (routers, proxy servers, firewalls, etc.) what application the packet is carrying. For example: You can set XP SP 2's firewall with an exception to allow remote desktop. (I do this a lot to provide support for customers.) When you set that exception, you are telling it to allow packets that have port 3389 in the packet.

12voltman59
Dec 29, 2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the responses---

After having tried some of the suggestions offered--I still cannot get into the chat room via Verizon's system but can when I use high speed cable (I have now discontinued that service though) or via Wi-Fi--so it has to be something on Verizon Wireless' end that prevents it---

I guess my chatting days on here are pretty much over, at least for now...

allbimyself
Dec 29, 2006, 12:47 PM
Yes, XP SP2 blocks applications. It does so by blocking ports. On the surface, it doesn't appear to use port numbers since it always refers to applications. It does so since few people would understand that in order to allow FTP, you need to allow port 21, or to allow remote desktop you have to allow port 3389, etc.

In order to block (or allow) the application, it has to know what application is in the packet being sent across the network. Within the packet is the port number, which tells units (routers, proxy servers, firewalls, etc.) what application the packet is carrying. For example: You can set XP SP 2's firewall with an exception to allow remote desktop. (I do this a lot to provide support for customers.) When you set that exception, you are telling it to allow packets that have port 3389 in the packet.

OK, I see where the confusion is now. I'm talking about OUTGOING connections (which is where the OP's problem lies), you are talking about INCOMING connections. Yes, the firewall blocks by port number on incoming connections, however, it does NOT block by port number on outgoing connections. For outgoing either an application is trusted to make the connection or not, the port number the application is attempting to connect to is irrelevant.

mannysg
Dec 29, 2006, 3:54 PM
OK, I see where the confusion is now. I'm talking about OUTGOING connections (which is where the OP's problem lies), you are talking about INCOMING connections. Yes, the firewall blocks by port number on incoming connections, however, it does NOT block by port number on outgoing connections. For outgoing either an application is trusted to make the connection or not, the port number the application is attempting to connect to is irrelevant.

Agreed. However, to add to everyone's confusion lever: OTHER firewall applications on PCs can block outgoing ports, as well as incoming.

Star Gazer
Dec 29, 2006, 8:49 PM
Check to see if you have a program that will boost the speed.

I have a Verizon card and with the program running there were some sites I could not get to. uninstall the program and you should be able to connect.

Good luck

pasco_lol_cpl
Dec 29, 2006, 9:00 PM
One other thing to check up on and I think its been sorta addressed, but for your Wireless Verizon NIC, click on properties and see if that TCP port is blocked there. That could be the problem and disabling the firewalls wouldnt help at all. I agree that this is a Verizon problem

Star Gazer
Dec 29, 2006, 10:24 PM
One other thing to check up on and I think its been sorta addressed, but for your Wireless Verizon NIC, click on properties and see if that TCP port is blocked there. That could be the problem and disabling the firewalls wouldnt help at all. I agree that this is a Verizon problem

I don't think it is a verizon problem I do think it is an extra ad on software that somehow speeds the connection.

someotherguy
Dec 30, 2006, 7:59 AM
The broadband wired connection which works is insulated from the reach of a vengeful God who has no trouble messing with the ether used by the radio broadcast wireless connection. I think it is divine judgment punishing you for being bisexual. Use a wired connection to avoid this type of righteous intervention.