PDA

View Full Version : Tattoe

ukmale32
Dec 9, 2006, 7:52 PM
I've decided that I want to get inked. Not sure what I want yet. Have a few ideas.

I want to get a nice one - not too large - not sure where.

So - any suggestions? Have you got one? What do you have and where abouts?

stormalong
Dec 9, 2006, 8:27 PM
I have 6. 1 on my inner left forearm (a rose), a mermaid on my left calf, marilyn monroe on my chest, a propeller on my ass (don't ask) and a gaelic cross on my breastbone., oops! and a tiger on my shoulderblade.

RebekaLee
Dec 10, 2006, 1:00 PM
i have one tattoo...the leo symbol (not the lion, but the zodiac horseshoe looking thing) on my hip. i had always wanted a tattoo...but never sure what. then something happened and this was the perfect one to get. the placing and the date that i got it all have a special meaning.

bigirl_inwv
Dec 10, 2006, 1:21 PM
I have 4 tattoo's, one of which you can see in my pics on my profile. My first tattoo was a small butterfly on my shoulder blade. My second was my "tramp stamp." lol. It says Omnia Vincit Amor, which means Love Conquers All in latin. I got it two days after finally coming out as bisexual. My third was a skull and crossbones wearing a crown on my left hip. That one is a long story. And my fourth was a fall leaf on my right ankle for my little sister. (Her name is Autumn)

I love all my tattoos and I am very happy with all of them. My advice is pick something that means something to you. Too many people just decide they want to have a tattoo and pick something randomly that later on they will regret getting.

As far as placement goes, for women shoulder blades and the lower back are the two places that hurt the least. However, men tend to have a lower pain tolerance than women do. It all depends on your pain tolerance really. The only one of my tattoos that hurt at all was the one on my ankle. I definately dont recommened getting one there. lol. Some things to look at are: Are you going to have to keep it covered up for work? Do you want it where other people can see it? Are you thinking about putting it in a place where the skin could possibly stretch later on? Thats all I can think of now....lol.

Hope I was of some help!! Good luck!!

little clown
Dec 10, 2006, 2:23 PM
Hi ukmale32,

I have 2 tattoos.

1 - a funny looking devil (IMHO) on my left shoulder.
(Because an aunt used to call me a sly little devil when I was a kid ...Well, actually, that's the English translation of what she called me;))

2 - a winged electric guitar on my lower right arm.

As far as giving suggestions are concerned:
- a tattoo of an object associated with a hobby or interest??
(favorite animal, favorite vehicle, favorite musical instrument, etc.)

Take care,
Dani

hound
Dec 10, 2006, 2:53 PM
Hey they should be a representation of yourself.I have a small Canadian flag
on my upper right inner thigh.

happyjoe68
Dec 10, 2006, 3:30 PM
I have one also, but have ambiguous feelings towards it.

I dont regret having it done, but its showing its age and looks a bit crap now

mistymockingbird
Dec 10, 2006, 4:32 PM
I have one of a butterfly on the inside of my left wrist. Have my "tramp stamp" planned. A self-design that encompasses several elements that have personal meaning.

Things I thought about before getting inked the first time:
1. Placement-I wanted to be able to see mine everyday.
2. Someplace that won't get fat or stretch marks or sag.
3. Someplace I could cover up easily if I needed.
4. I wanted something that had meaning. Not an arbitrary thing.

My two cents :2cents: Just think about it for a minute before you do it so you know you're getting what you want. Hard to go back after you've started. And check out multiple places before having it done. Make sure you go to a place that is clean and where you feel comfortable. As far as pain...I didn't think it hurt and I was told that the wrist would hurt a lot. To me the pain was similar to a bee sting.

Otherwise have fun!

bearisbare
Dec 10, 2006, 5:06 PM
For now, I'm opting for the upper arms. I have one on my upper left arm that I call a 'flaming bearpaw'. It is a merging of identities of myself (bear) and my wife (flame).

The only place I'm not considering is my lower right leg due to an illness (cellulitis) I had a few years ago and a concern that I may have a future problem there.

just_a_dreamer
Dec 10, 2006, 5:44 PM
iv just got the start of my first one, its the outline of a star on my shoulder. im gna add some smaller stars around it and maybe some colour too. im gna get summat else as wel but im not sure yet. but i reckon the key is: if its ur first tattoo, dont be overcomplicated or try to be too clever, and even maybe do what i did and just get the outline done. if its simple to start with then u can always change how u want it to look like when its finished.

but i love it, you won't regret it when u get it done. ul be proud!

tatooedpunk
Dec 10, 2006, 6:41 PM
I have more tattoos than i can count (lol i do have a lot though)
If i could impart any advice check out your chosen tattooist,try to speak to anyone who has work done by him or her,getting a tatt should be a good experience if your tattooist aint that good or is an asshole it will ruin the experience.I'm lucky my tattooist is a good friend,take care and i hope to see the results

ukmale32
Dec 10, 2006, 6:53 PM
Hey they should be a representation of yourself.I have a small Canadian flag
on my upper right inner thigh.

Are you american then? ;)

mannysg
Dec 11, 2006, 12:30 AM
As others have said, get something that means something to you. Think carefully about where you have it, taking into consideration any potential need to cover it up.

ALso, be sure that you can trust the artist that does it, and that you are comfortable with him/her. Health issues are also a concern of course, since your skin is being punctured by a needle thousands of times. Ask around for advise on who to go to.

Remember, a tattoo is a permanant thing. It's expensive to have removed, and removal isn't always natural looking once it's gone.

My tattoo has a lot of symbolism in it. I got it on the left side of my chest since that's the heart side. IT was actually done in 3 stages. The artist advised that certain parts of it, especially the small stars, because of their placement, would hurt like a bitch. They were correct, but since there is a lot of symbolism that means something to me the pain was worth it.

Tattoos and peircings tend to be habit forming. I plan on getting more tattoos as soon as I can afford them. I want to get an eagle on my upper arm next. And I'm sure that I'll think of other things to get once that is done. I also am thinking about getting another piercing now that I have both nipples done. I just can't decide what to get pieced. :)

Les

jo69guy
Dec 11, 2006, 8:58 AM
I have two, one each on my upper arms. I would like to get a few more. They do hurt while being applied, but I like the look. BTW the upper arms are one of the less painful places to have a tattoo....... :2cents:

Daviecurious
Dec 11, 2006, 11:21 AM
I also have two. One is a small, lavender rose on my lower abdomen, for a special person in my life; the other is a Celtic bird on my upper left chest. Am thinking about a third, a Celtic griffon, but haven't decided where to put it.
Take your time about what design you want and where to put it; as others have said, it IS permanent. I put mine where I can enjoy them, and still cover them w/clothes if I desire. I say go for it, and remember, the difference between those with tats and those without is the people with tats don't make fun of those who don't have them. :rolleyes:
Be safe, have fun!

rockstarvomit
Dec 11, 2006, 1:53 PM
I've got three. The first is a black and blue nautical star above my knee, and the second and third are skulls and crossbones on the tops of my feet. The right one wears a fez and has some gold teeth, the left one has a black 50's hair style and a pink bow.

I love them all so much and I would say that tattoos don't have to be something that means the world to you. It can merely be something you like or something that has a little meaning but it aethestically pleasing before anything else. I tend to get mine at times in my life that I want to mark and remember.

As far as placement, I would suggest getting your first im a fleshy area and not near a joint. I've heard that the back isn't so bad, but the chest, ribs, and stomach are.

Good luck!

Fire Lotus
Dec 11, 2006, 3:26 PM
I have three tattoos. I really love all of them. I have one regret about my second, a heart with wings. I wish it is is a bit bigger than it is. But it wasn't cheap. There are more I want and have in mind. I will get them, but only as I can afford them.

Any tattoo that has a lot of detail and colored will cost quite a bit. It's also a good idea to think long and hard about what you want before you get it. People will get tattoos of something that has special meaning to them or something symbolic of something or someone that means a lot to them. Try to do some research on tattoo studios and artists. I wish you good luck and a warning........

like Lays potato chips, "you can't have just one." Tattoos are addicting. :)

LoveLion
Dec 11, 2006, 4:14 PM
I have yet to get a tattoo. I figure if and when I get one I wanna make sure it something that I will really like and something that has some meaning behind it. I have yet to find one yet. Got a few piercings though.