PDA

View Full Version : Help! Well, you see, there is this guy...

bi_scott
Dec 7, 2006, 6:44 AM
Help! My mind is racing and confusion has set in. I have had an online 'encounter' with this guy which I have posted about on

http://fluidsexuality.wordpress.com

I need to know your thoughts - someone advise me. Can online relationships go anywhere?

MrFahrenheit
Dec 7, 2006, 7:37 AM
I know many couples who met online (mostly through a online video game I play), and it works fine.

I also have a friend who was deeply in love with this guy online, and they moved in together. Everything was peachy. Now she thinks he's boring and dumb (even though she still thinks he's a nice guy) and wants to leave. He has a low sex drive and farts when he's sitting next to her on the couch.

When meeting someone online you don't know what it's like to actually be around this person (think about irl habits that may annoy you). You can get to know everything about a person's personality online, but nothing about their actual behaviour irl. The way they talk could be a huge turn off for you, or a huge turn on... you never know till you meet up.

There's also the issue of safety, when you meet someone irl make sure you meet in a public place, and have the date take place somewhere with people. Like a restaurant or cinema. Don't meet up in a dark alley to go for a long walk on the beach.

You just never know if that person really is who they claim to be. In this case I think it's highly unlikely Al is dangerous though (espacially since he didn't look for you, you found him). Most of those freaks prey on 12 year old girls in chatrooms.

Summary: Yes, it can work out. But you might dislike the way they act in real life even though you love their personality online. It's a gamble. ;)

twodelta
Dec 7, 2006, 9:58 AM
There's also the issue of safety, when you meet someone irl make sure you meet in a public place, and have the date take place somewhere with people. Like a restaurant or cinema. Don't meet up in a dark alley to go for a long walk on the beach.

You just never know if that person really is who they claim to be. In this case
Summary: Yes, it can work out. But you might dislike the way they act in real life even though you love their personality online. It's a gamble. ;)

Well said MrF. I would also add - let someone know when and where You will be meeting this person. Maybe even have someone call You on a cell phone at some point and time, just to make sure.

I've met quiet a few people in person that were first met on the internet. Some have remained friends, some have not. It is fun meeting someone for the first time!

anne27
Dec 7, 2006, 11:31 AM
My nephew and his boyfriend actually met through a blog. They started talking and became friends before they became lovers. They're living together now and have been for about 6 months and everything is going great for them.
My last g/f and I first met online. We were great together RL until outside circumstances tore things apart. I am currently in a rather intense online/phone relationship with a fantastic woman and am hoping we connect as well in life as we do online. I have met quite a few people from the net and, for the most part, they have all been as nice in person as they were online.

bi_scott
Dec 7, 2006, 11:39 AM
Thank you. This is interesting stuff. You hear a lot of things in the media of all the negative things that happen when people meet up off the 'net but you don't really here the positive so it is good to hear some of your thoughts.

I would never meet up with someone online where they dont feel safe and secure. Obviously there is my personal safety but I would never ask someone to meet anywhere in a public place, just so that they feel safe too.

gthommo
Dec 7, 2006, 11:43 AM
A fairly common dilemma. But if you ever meet (and I think that's the biggest "if" of all) I don't see that the way in which you originally contacted each other should have any effect.

Of course, you might each have fallen for some fabulous guy in chat and imagination but if there's potential between you it should be able to bear the actual truth!

Geoff

bi_scott
Dec 7, 2006, 3:29 PM
I threw a challenge. He accepted. I am so damn excited!

LoveLion
Dec 7, 2006, 11:00 PM
I read all your and Al's post back and forth, and I think the whole thing is beautiful. It makes my heart melt in ways that no sappy love romance movie ever could. :oh:

I say go for it Scott! You've got nothing to lose, and Al seems like a genuine guy.

bi_scott
Dec 8, 2006, 4:36 AM
Thanks LoveLion I am still soooooooooo excited :tongue: