PDA

View Full Version : If you were a BI BROCHURE what would you say?

Lorcan
Dec 6, 2006, 2:23 PM
I've been think about my Bi Brochure should say. How about "Fuck the toaster... we'll give you a free microwave if you sign up!" :bigrin:

No no, I'm serious. I'm seriously thinking of having these brochures printed, so i'm looking for advise. This is what I thought of so far. Feel free to edit, or tell me something is not quite right, or give me your own words.

What Bisexuals Are

A bisexual is capable of feeling attraction to more that one gender. Bisexuals can be male or female or transgender.

The bisexual identity has nothing to do with sexual behavior or experience. All it means is that you know you can be attracted to men and women. You can be celibate and still know that you are bi. Bis do not generally consider themselves to be “part straight and part gay” but rather all bi.

There are many types bisexual relationships. They can have relationships with straight people, gay people or other bis. Some bisexuals have long-term committed relationships with one sex. Those who are in a committed relationship may have a monogamous relationship. Or they may have a non-monogamous relationship such as polyamory or polyfidelity, or swinging.

If a bisexual is married or committed to a partner in a monogamous relationship, that does not mean they are straight or gay. For example: a straight person who is not in relationship does not cease to be straight… they always know that they’re straight. In the same way bisexuals know that they are bi.

Bisexuals may express a preference among the sexes, but that preference is not felt so much as to be exclusionary. In some bisexuals this preference may change periodically. Some bisexuals believe that they could have a long-term committed loving relationships with any gender. However for others it is….?( couldn’t think of a brochure-polite way of saying “it’s about sex”)

What Bisexuals Are Not:

Sexual Predators
Promiscuous and will have sex with anyone.
Will automatically cheat on you
Have to be involved with a man and a woman at the same time.
Will necessarily be involved with orgies or three-ways.
None of them can be monogamous.
Necessarily having a “phase” on their way to become gay or straight
Just want sex; not capable of loving
Just there to fulfill your fantasy
Think it’s cool or attractive to call themselves bisexual

LoveLion
Dec 6, 2006, 4:53 PM
I would add "Not someone who is Gay and cant come to terms with it" or "Not a homosexual who cant accept themselves for who they are" to the "a Bisexual is NOT" list. Alot of people have this false perception of us

Flounder1967
Dec 6, 2006, 6:39 PM
BI low.....
Sell High.....

lol

Everybody including gayand straight are bi to some degree.

bigregory
Dec 6, 2006, 9:13 PM
To be Bisexual is to be normal.
To be hetrosexual/gay/lesian is fine if thats your thing.
To be Bisexual allows you to feel love or friendship with the whole world
girl/ boy whatever.Thats normal..
Throughout history the Bisexuals have always been there,just hiding.
Yup just normal here.. A-OK rodger over and out. :flag3:

twodelta
Dec 7, 2006, 12:55 AM
Some bisexuals believe that they could have a long-term committed loving relationships with any gender. However for others it is….?( couldn’t think of a brochure-polite way of saying “it’s about sex”)

How about this - However, for others, it is more natural to relate emotionally to one gender or the other. :2cents: - Dave

twodelta
Dec 7, 2006, 12:59 AM
I would add "Not someone who is Gay and cant come to terms with it" or "Not a homosexual who cant accept themselves for who they are" to the "a Bisexual is NOT" list. Alot of people have this false perception of us

Amen LoveLion, That needs to be numero uno on the "a Bisexual is NOT" list - Dave

DiamondDog
Dec 7, 2006, 1:48 AM
I don't agree with how some people say that "everyone is bisexual" because it's just as ignorant as saying that bisexuality doesn't exist, at all. Frankly, we aren't. lf we were, this shit wouldn't be so controversial. My two cents.

Here's some more stuff I'd add to it:
Bi is who I am, not what/who I do, or what/who I don't do.

I have come to the idea that bi-phobic people are really upset
by fluidity and lack of clear dichotomy. It upsets their world view. They are also terribly hung-up and have internalized puritian beliefs. This helps me have compassion for them and not take it so personally.

I've had sex with men and thought about women and had sex with women and thought about men. I didn't do it on purpose and it didn't happen all the time, sometimes it would happen out of left field. But I've talked to other bisexuals and this is something that happens but not too many people talk about it.

Long Duck Dong
Dec 7, 2006, 6:29 AM
Bisexuality... its who you are, not what you do

different people express themselves in different ways.... and bisexuals can express themselves thru sexual experiences with both sexes in the same manner that a celibate person expresses themselves without sexual contact

however the bisexual sexual contact is a outward express of themselves and that is misleading... leading to people believing that bisexuals are fuck freaks,
it is very possible to be bisexual, emotionally, mentality and physically

love and bisexuality are a complex issue, and bisexuals can feel a attraction sexually to the same sex, but a sexual and emotional attraction to the opposite sex, hence you will find bisexuals that are happily married and enjoying a good sex life with their partners, but also have sexual encounters with the same sex

in the same manner that people have periods of strong sexual desires or no desire to have sex... bisexuals can have strong desires towards the same or opposite sex... the difference being that bisexuals can act on the urges,
the same is found amongst people that have affairs outside of marriage... they are attracted sexually to a people but not emotionally

to say that bisexuals are undecided sexually, is like placing wine and beer together....some people are wine drinkers, some are beer drinkers and some like both... they are not undecided about their drinking... they are drinking what they perfer at the time

What Bisexuals Are not :

sexual offenders or deviants.... that is found across the sexual spectrum and its not a bisexual trait

only capable of having emotionless sex.... love making is important to bisexuals...hence they often marry or have long term relationships

automatic relationship / marriage cheats... that comes in any relationship / marriage... most bisexual relationships / marriages survive the coming out of the bisexual and adapt

Have to be involved with a man and a woman at the same time... often they have ONE main partner and a couple or trusted sexual partners

swinger or orgy orgies...most bisexuals perfer trusted and safe long term sex partners

unable to be monogamous.... thats a trait found throughout the sexual spectrum.... bisexuals can have one partner for life

Necessarily having a “phase” on their way to become gay or straight....gays and straights did not go thru a phase either

Just there to fulfill your fantasy... they do have lives outside of the bedroom

Think it’s cool or attractive to call themselves bisexual.... they use the term for themselves to define themselves as best they can.... they actually perfer the terms, * normal * and *human *

bearisbare
Dec 7, 2006, 7:33 AM
I would want to think of what my target audience might be (localized? regional? anywhere and everywhere?) and consider adding content that is tailored to the target audience.

Is this something that you are doing as an individual, or something that may be connected to a local bi community group? If it is the former, and if the focus is local, then you may wish to include some localized bisexual/LGBT information, and if the focus is farther-reaching, then perhaps some links to national or international bisexual resources may be a consideration. If this project has links to local bi community, I would look to promote whatever the group is doing, on part of the brochure.

I have seen and worked on many bisexual brochures on various topics over my years of volunteerism to bi community and I have felt that a double-sided brochure with three panels on each side has been generally more effective than an 8 1/2" by 11" single or double-sided sheet.

Lisa (va)
Dec 7, 2006, 12:58 PM
just my :2cents:

"Bi is a way of thinking, not of acting"

Lisa

hugs n kisses

Herbwoman39
Dec 7, 2006, 2:07 PM
I'd also like to see something about how bisexuals are of any race, color or creed. There are amy misconceptions I've seen that it's mainly just white people who are Bi.

arana
Dec 7, 2006, 3:59 PM
How about "Fuck the toaster... we'll give you a free microwave if you sign up!" :bigrin:
I think that would be quite painful and more for S&Mers then bi's.

To me: Bisexuals love the person not the package. We don't restrict how we care for someone by what sex they are. We love the person for who they are and how they make us feel.

Bisexuals are no more preditors or deviants then any other individual. It's the person that becomes the monster, not their specific sexual preference. It's the "label" that attracts the media hype and creates stereotyping. People are individuals and should be treated as such...not a label.

:2cents:

LoveLion
Dec 7, 2006, 10:34 PM
Id really like to see the final product when you are finished.

Right now it seems like you are only putting in info for non-bis who are looking in on bis. It would be nice to see some info in there for bis as well. Maybe for people who are struggling with bisexuality or are confused about their own sexuality. Even just some reassuring words to Bisexual readers like "you are not a freak and you are not alone. There are many other people out their just like you"

Lorcan
Dec 7, 2006, 10:57 PM
Wow.... thanks for all your input... there's so much. I'll have to print this page and go down on it with a highligher. Right now i'm think of two brochures: One for the GLBT center to print out about our Bi Support Group...so the audience would be mostly bi. And another one to bust the myths about bis, so the audience would be non-bi (monos).

SO thanks to everyone.
(and Dave, I like your re-phrasing!)

peaceful
Dec 9, 2006, 2:07 AM
Real pleasures are few, enjoy what is

ambi53mm
Dec 9, 2006, 7:31 AM
I am your Brother :male:
I am your Sister :female:
I am your Father :male:
I am your Mother :female:
I am your Son :male: