PDA

View Full Version : HMS Victory

fxd2250
Dec 4, 2006, 9:36 PM
Talk about off-the-wall topics...

I need some advice. There's a strong possibility that I might be visiting Oxford, UK this coming late winter/early spring. As an old sailor, I feel compelled to visit HMS Victory. What is the best way to travel to and from Portsmouth in one day? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

trip1
Dec 4, 2006, 9:45 PM

I need some advice. There's a strong possibility that I might be visiting Oxford, UK this coming late winter/early spring. As an old sailor, I feel compelled to visit HMS Victory. What is the best way to travel to and from Portsmouth in one day? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Although It's been a while since I've been there but the train works great if your not driving. I for one wouldn't drive anyway. It would take me way to long to get my head around driving on the left hand side of the road LOL Old sailor to...

fxd2250
Dec 4, 2006, 9:55 PM
"Kiss me Hardy" Avast, Trip! Not only no, but hell no! Public transportation only. I've driven in the colonies for the better part of 40 yrs now. I'm too old and set in my ways to be flirting with disaster!

ukmale32
Dec 5, 2006, 3:35 AM
Train or bus is good. An old sailor? You must have some stories to tell ;)

gthommo
Dec 5, 2006, 1:00 PM
Get the train from Waterloo if you're coming from/via London. Go all the way to Portsmouth Harbour station and you can't miss the ship!

Have a nice time.

fxd2250
Dec 5, 2006, 2:04 PM
An old sailor with stories to tell? You're kidding, right? Telling sea stories is right up there with drinking and sex!

Sorry for the confusion, but the starting and ending point will be Oxford.

Thanks again for the responses so far. Please feel free to keep those cards and letters coming in! This old yank will take all the help he can get...

Regards to all.

metasexual
Dec 5, 2006, 3:21 PM
Your best way would be to plan a train trip on:

http://nationalrail.co.uk/

Looks like there is a frequent service and it runs about 3 hours each way. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

innaminka
Dec 5, 2006, 6:21 PM
Rail is good .... :) BUT!
If you're staying in Oxford for any length of time and get the hang of the driving. (It isn't hard - I got used to driving on the RHS in about a quarter hour)
.....consider driving.
On the train you will miss so much, whilst when driving, that part of England has some of the best places to just look at, stop at etc.
And being late winter/early spring, the traffic won't be too bad. (Bad yes, too bad, probably not.)
Anyway, have a wonderful experience, I envy you.

For really in depth info, try the Lonely Planet Thorn tree site. Just google it!

darkeyes
Dec 6, 2006, 3:50 AM

Wen me read this reminded me of me of sum 1 me knows..

Wen she wos in her teens she had big fling wiv a navy girl. They went on hol to Isle of Wight but spent coupla nites wiv navy girls m8s in Portsmouth. Wile ther they visited the Victory an wile on board one of Nelson's cannons served very nicely as a bum rest for sum g 2 g shenanigans.. leave up 2 ya imagination wot them shenanigans wer! Sounds dreadfully uncomfy 2 me tho...

Now wiv most peeps me knows wud take this as all blow (no pun intended) but knowin this girl as me dus, hav no doubt it happened jus as she sed it did. If she reads this she will kill me!