PDA

View Full Version : Bisexual Men - Are we still living in the dark ages?

bi_scott
Nov 29, 2006, 1:37 PM
Take a look at a blog I have just written. My blog asks the following questions:

1) Are there any male bisexual celebrity role models?

2) Are there any ordinary, everyday male bi guys who are at college / Uni / Work? Perhaps everyone know about your bi-side, perhaps they dont. I really want to hear from you.

Take a look at my blog:

http://fluidsexuality.wordpress.com

And let me know your thoughts, I would really like to hear from you. Leave a comment on here or on my blog!

LoveLion
Nov 29, 2006, 3:25 PM
The only Bi celebity I know of is musician Tom Robinson (http://www.tomrobinson.com/records/music/index.htm). Other then that Im at a loss. I only know one other bi person, and he is pretty normal. Im sure there are alot more out there though

DiamondDog
Nov 29, 2006, 6:03 PM
I posted on your blog.

Long Duck Dong
Nov 29, 2006, 11:23 PM
mmm.... lol

honestly I can't see the point with being a role model.....do we truely need people to wear their sexually on their sleeve in order for us to look up to them ???

society is more inclined to target gays and lesbians in the media, rather than bisexuals... however, in order to have bisexual role models, we are asking people to make their private, personal and sexual lifestyle, public knowledge

now I know we are bisexual in this site.... but we also choose the level of disclosure.... unfortunately, to be bisexual in the media eye, is a recipe for the media to start mud slinging and starting rumours etc, in the interests of selling mags, and not so much, for the benefit of showing the rest of the world that bisexuals are no different to the rest of humanity

I am a bisexual role model, I have shown that a bisexual man can hold the 3rd highest accuracy rating for sharp shooting in the NZ armed forces, also I hold a 3rd dan black belt in martial arts, including numerous tournament titles, I also hold a couple of records for power lifting
I am respected and loved, as a shaman / spiritualist teacher / gardener / naturalist / wicca witch etc etc etc but as i am inclined to say to people, sexuality has nothing to do with what you can and can't achieve

bisexuality is a internal emotion and feeling, a way of life and being.....it has nothing to do with how you act, speak, interact and cast your net of opinion and understanding over others

halfofwhat
Nov 30, 2006, 3:32 AM
If you're really interested (bisexuals are noted):

http://www.rotten.com/library/sex/homosexuality/famous/

I came across that a while ago. While it shouldn't matter whether a celebrity is gay, straight, or bi, it is refreshing and empowering to see them literally out there.

DiamondDog
Nov 30, 2006, 4:02 AM
If you're really interested (bisexuals are noted):

http://www.rotten.com/library/sex/homosexuality/famous/

I came across that a while ago. While it shouldn't matter whether a celebrity is gay, straight, or bi, it is refreshing and empowering to see them literally out there.

some of those names are wrong on rotten.com

Like Oscar Wilde and Burroughs are considered bisexual.

I laugh when I see gay books describing say Aristotle or Plato as gay.

I dont think it's fair to place a modern label like that on various historical figures since those are 19th/20th century social constructs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisexual_people

http://www.nndb.com/lists/244/000069037/

bi_scott
Nov 30, 2006, 7:02 AM
These thoughts are interesting and helpful. I suppose on the one hand a person's sexuality is private and especially in the media you would not want the press 'finding out' stories. Agreed.

I think that the point I was making is that if there were role models of some sort, modern day role models then bisexual people aged 18 - 30 or whatever would associate with them more and feel free to be able to 'come out' or at least talk about it more because a credible celebrity has done. Perhaps my comments are fickle but I do know that media role models influence and empower a younger generation.

Just a comment!

VINdeWOLF
Nov 30, 2006, 11:03 AM
bisexuality is a internal emotion and feeling, a way of life and being.....it has nothing to do with how you act, speak, interact and cast your net of opinion and understanding over others

Hear, hear! Thanks for saying it so well, Long Duck.

Cheers,
V!N

izzfan
Nov 30, 2006, 11:09 AM
As for bisexual people 'out there', I go to a university that is apparently situated in a 'gay capital' in the UK... the town is quite small but it has a lot of LGBT ppl in it by proportion. I have met LOADS of gay/lesbian ppl but only 1-2 other bisexual ppl. So there are probs Bi ppl 'out there' but they're harder to spot. As for me being 'out', I am sort of partially 'out' - most ppl at uni that I know understand that I am not 100% straight but only about 3-4 ppl back home know that I am Bi.

As for the whole thing about it being easier to come out as gay/lesbian because it is the binary opposite of straight then it is to come out as Bi...as Bi can be anthing from 1% homosexual and 99% heterosexual to 1% heterosexual and 99% homosexual [with me its something like 50-90% homosexual and 10%-60% heterosexual, it varies depending on various things]. But yeah, there are probably more bisexual people than many of us realise however many people probably have bisexual potential/inclinations but society probably stops them acting on these or actually realising that they are present. So perhaps we are still in the Victorian age in that respect.

We need more openly Bi role models though, although the list on Wikipedia seemed quite extensive.

Izzfan

LoveLion
Nov 30, 2006, 3:35 PM
some of those names are wrong on rotten.com

Like Oscar Wilde and Burroughs are considered bisexual.

I laugh when I see gay books describing say Aristotle or Plato as gay.

I agree. I dont think anyone can claim to know the sexual orientation of these men that lived about 2500 years ago. Especially when Socrates was married (although he did make many statements against the idea of marriage and his wife especially)

The one I was wondering about is Kurt Cobain? was he really Bi? or is that a mistake?

halfofwhat
Dec 1, 2006, 2:26 AM
From the Advocate interview Kurt did in 1992:

AD: Because people thought you were gay and you had gay friends, did you ever wonder if you might be gay?

KC: Yeah, absolutely. See I've always wanted male friends that I could be real intimate with and talk about important things with and be as affectionate with that person as I would be with a girl. Throughout my life, I've always been really close with girls and made friends with girls. And I've always been a really sickly, feminine person anyhow, so I thought I was gay for a while because I didn't find any of the girls in my high school attractive at all. They had really awful haircuts and fucked-up attitudes. So I thought I would try to be gay for a while, but I'm just more sexually attracted to women. But I'm really glad that I found a few gay friends, because it toally saved me from becoming a monk or something.

I mean, I'm definitely gay in spirit, and I probably could be bisexual. But I'm married, and I'm more attracted to Courtney than I ever have been toward a person, so there's no point in trying to sow my oats at this point. [Laughs] If I wouldn't have found Courtney, I probably would have carried on with a bisexual lifestyle. But I just find her totally attractive in all ways.

You can read the rest of the interview here:

http://www.nirvana-music.com/kurt-cobain-advocate-article.html

And in regards to the famous Greek philosophers...you guys are familiar with how the Greek society worked back then, right?