PDA

View Full Version : 420

shaker27
Nov 20, 2006, 11:13 AM
What does the term 420 mean. New one for me.

Tocowboycub
Nov 20, 2006, 11:23 AM
What does the term 420 mean. New one for me.

Smoking marajuana (pot).

littlerayofsunshine
Nov 20, 2006, 11:31 AM
What I have learned from having a teenager live with me. is that 420 ( aka 4/20-April 20th) Is a observed holiday among the pot smoking crowed and is a day to stay home from school or work and get together, hangout and smoke pot. The teenager that lives with me doesnt' observe this holiday, but did observe the classrooms which normally would have 30 people, would only have 5 people in the class that day. She's now graduated. I never understood the holiday myself.

LoveLion
Nov 20, 2006, 3:45 PM
I think it started as 4:20 pm was the time to get high b/c it was right after the high schools got out. High school students would come home and smoke pot at that time and it just became on of those things :stoned:

Flounder1967
Nov 20, 2006, 6:30 PM
The Term comes from the song the Jimmy Buffet released dealing at what time of day to smoke pot. It may also deal with the international Smoke day. April 20th.

canuckotter
Nov 20, 2006, 7:14 PM
Snopes.com, home of more information than you could ever possibly want on this kind of topic, says... it's the time a group of high-school kids set to meet up and smoke up (http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/420.htm)

The more you know.

mahivishnu
Nov 20, 2006, 7:25 PM
It used to be a police code in California for pot related offenses. It is the time of day stoners like to say "its 4:20. It really caught on around 1995. Tee shirts, lighters, shit like that. I think some guy tried to Inc. it around that time. yes it is well observed as a holiday as well!

mistymockingbird
Nov 20, 2006, 7:58 PM
Using the term 420 is an easy way to fly under the radar a little when talking about smoking pot. Folks that know what it means pick up on it immediately, folks that don't...don't. I too had heard that it originated from the police code for pot related offenses. All the other stuff (the holiday, the song, etc) came later.

Tigerguy193
Nov 21, 2006, 7:18 PM
420 at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_%28cannabis_culture%29)

^^^ Provides three possible explanations for the origin and also has more info about it than you could possibly want. :bigrin:

coyotedude
Nov 22, 2006, 4:27 AM
At the Evergreen State College in Olympia, the clock tower on campus happened to be stuck at 4:20 for several years. So there, the joke was:

Q: What time do you want to get stoned?
A: How about 4:20?

Whether that was a happy coincidence or not, I don't know....

Peace

RebekaLee
Nov 24, 2006, 2:39 PM
i knew 420 was associated w/pot. but i never knew why or where it originally came from. thanks for the info!