DiamondDog
Nov 14, 2006, 1:28 AM
http://www.beyondmarriage.org/

glantern954
Nov 14, 2006, 7:11 AM
This seems like a better approach.

12voltman59
Nov 14, 2006, 11:05 AM
I will sign on to that effort in a heartbeat---that policy is the most rational, reasoned, well-thought out program I have seen in quite some time.

The best thing about this policy--it truly recognizes and reflects the way people really are living their lives--not some pollyanish version of reality of "how things should be because that is what the Bible says!!!!"

The fact is --if you really read the Bible with an objective eye--in those Biblical times--people lived confusing, messy, chaotic lives that weren't mom and dad and 2.5 kids--I don't really know when people really lived such nice clean lives--in spite of our view of the immediate post-war period in the late '40s and throughout the '50s that we got from television shows like "Father Knows Best" and "Leave it to Beaver,"--shows which seem to be the model for the way the fundies think we should all live our lives-I dare say that life for most was not so clean and pure even in that supposedly idyllic time.

This policy reflects what I have said before in here a number of times--I don't care to take part in a "rights" effort for any particular group because I believe that rights denied to one or a few are rights denied to all.

This is a worthy effort that I would suggest we should all get behind in our support and also to help promote this policy.

Herbwoman39
Nov 14, 2006, 11:17 AM
The problem I see with lumping all of these social issues together is that there will be some points that people just don't agree with. For instance, I don't agree that illegal aliens should have access to free medical care or funds from the welfare system. I also don't believe that people should stay in the welfare system for more than 5-7 years. It's supposed to be a hand up, not a hand out.

Before anyone gets ideas, I *have* been in the welfare system for about 4-5 years and I made my own way back to self-sufficiency so I know what it's like. I also lived in a county wherein the migrant workers drained the entire year's assistance budget dry and left me with no assistance to get my electricity turned back on when I lost my job due to illness.

In the end, putting all the issues together may well end up costing us instead of helping.

LoveLion
Nov 14, 2006, 3:36 PM
This seems like a fairly good idea. I just read briefly over it (didnt read full statement). I do agree fully with the legal recognition of all types of relationships, and very much with the separation of church and state in all manners.

Living in Canada however, this doesnt really effect me, same-sex marrage and alot of the related issues are already legal all across Canada im pretty sure. (In know Ontario for sure)