PDA

View Full Version : More Published Biphobia

glantern954
Nov 12, 2006, 8:02 PM
The following letter was published in a newspaper called NewTimes.

They're the worst liars of all: In regard to your October 19 article "Charlie Crist Is NOT Gay" (Julia Reischel), I really don't believe that Crist is gay. I would, however, profile him as a bisexual. They are, for the most part, the biggest liars I have ever come across. They lie to their spouses, their colleagues, and most of all themselves.

Richard B. Golden (New Port Richey)

Link to publicaion and column: http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/Issues/2006-11-09/news/letters.html

Your responses to the editor can be sent here: letterstoeditor@newtimesbpb.com

glantern954
Nov 12, 2006, 8:03 PM
Here is my response:

To whom it may concern,

I was really surprised to see such blatant biphobia published in your Letter column on November 9th. I doubt you would seriously consider printing a letter from a reader with stereotypical negative comments to say about African Americans, or even homosexuals for that matter. Why is it OK to print something like this about us?

I am guessing Mr. Golden had a bad experience with a bisexual. I’m sorry, but allowing him to use your publication as a way to vent about the chip on his shoulder is wrong and should be acknowledged as such.

IanBorthwick
Nov 12, 2006, 9:10 PM
One day I will PROBABLY not care when people write this kind of smegma and get printed. One day I may not be bothered to hear this kind of idiocy coming from all kinds of people that should know better. Instead I want to take a look at why they might think it's true, and why it comes back at us.

Since coming out, I have put behind me lying about myself. The whole reason I kept lying to myself was to complete the social "Norm" package as being different meant I was beaten on, assaulted, verbally denigrated, etc by the straights.

Ergo: Lying was self preservational and something I allowed them to make me feel I had to do. My solution was to come out and admit I am Bisexual. That ended two lies in one stroke.

When I did come out, I was sure to let my colleagues know, they were most accepting.

My partner at the time was "accepting" until she decided it was something she didn't trust. Fear sent her packing that I would leave her.

Ergo: The truth is something she couldn't handle well.

The fact is we hide like anyone else and when we do tell the truth they don't want to hear it. The failure, or so it seems, is with our existence and not with lies and truths. Jack Nicholson said it best,"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!" And they really can't.

In the beginning, perhaps, before we came out it was equal parts blame. We share the blame with their need for us to lie and our need to feel safe being intertwined. When we do shuck off the cloaking device and come to light the last thing they all want is for us to shed light on their half of the equation...the oppression.

Must have a large portion to do with it....

:cool: :cool: :cool:

IanBorthwick
Nov 12, 2006, 9:19 PM
I sent them this:

Biphobia...when does it end?

Your blatently allowing someone to smear Bisexuals as being the purveyors of lies in your letters to the editor is outrageous. Would you have allowed someone from the KKK to be printed slandering African Americans? Or Skinheads and Neonazi's to spew antisemitic venom about a Rabi? Or heaven forbid, allow a Christian Fundamentalist to attack gay family for having a child?

No. That would be finacial suicide!

Make no mistake, you printed it because you felt safe in allowing negativity to foster on your rag due to the fact you feel we DON'T have the monetary clout to hit you where it hurts. Maybe we don't have the recognition we need and deserve yet, but one day we will have all the rights you take for granted. And I live for the day when you walk on eggshells about allowing such a callous and dim point of view to be printed!

glantern954
Nov 12, 2006, 9:23 PM
I really loved your perspective of this.

One day I will PROBABLY not care when people write this kind of smegma and get printed.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Avocado
Nov 13, 2006, 3:14 PM
Gotta say we are big liars, I've hardly come out to that many people in my life. That's OUR problem though and it's OUR place to say it - no-one elses.

IanBorthwick
Nov 14, 2006, 1:54 AM
I'm rather amazed this is sliding south without more support. I guess people are getting jaded as hell.

glantern954
Nov 14, 2006, 7:09 AM
I actually almost didn't post it because I didn't want people thinking all I do is complain about how we are treated in publications. I hate focusing on the negative, there just seems to be so much of it lately.

I'm rather amazed this is sliding south without more support. I guess people are getting jaded as hell.

IanBorthwick
Nov 15, 2006, 12:46 AM
Fact is that we are the scapegoat a lot of times. It is amazing, but at once gratifying. When you think about it, right before people begin to REALLY accept something and stop hating it, they let all kinds of nasty negatives bubble out of the cracks. I like to think about it as a kind of De-Toxification process for the soul. Not all the venom may leak out, but a good portion comes out and a lot of acceptance(forced or otherwise) leaks in around the edges. Think of any minority group and you'll see the stuff came to a head and burst like a zit before becoming better.

It's part of why I said,"One day I will PROBABLY not care when people write this kind of smegma and get printed."

glantern954
Nov 26, 2006, 1:55 PM
Your letter was printed this week.

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/Issues/2006-11-23/news/letters.html

I sent them this:

Biphobia...when does it end?

LoveLion
Nov 26, 2006, 2:35 PM
The letter makes a very good point. :bipride:

IanBorthwick
Nov 26, 2006, 6:52 PM
I never thought they would print it. They asked me for my name and home city, so I gave it and ignored it in general.

happyjoe68
Nov 27, 2006, 4:48 PM
The guy is an arsehole ...

I try not to take such things too seriously because then you are playing their game, letting them dictate the rules. You could answer back, but like bullies, they want a response, the best option is to ignore them.

Nara_lovely
Nov 27, 2006, 7:49 PM
I think the hardest part in any topic, is that the opposite views will not be understood or accepted, until the individual is ready.

Till then....keep the conversation and interaction set on the topic (as our forum rules admirably display) and keep your cool. :cool: