PDA

View Full Version : Has there been a Bi-pride movement yet?

twosides
Jul 17, 2005, 4:24 AM
I just watched "Before Stonewall", and have "After Stonewall" ready to watch next. (For those who don't know, an "incident" at the Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village, is widely accepted as the flashpoint for the gay pride movement in June, 1969.) I've just joined my horse up to this cart, but it seems to me from reading some of the threads here that we're really just starting to poke our heads up and declare ourselves, much like gay society was introduced to the public's awareness back in the late 50's and early 60's.

So my question is, Has there been or do we need some kind of rally point to plant that flag?

softfruit
Jul 17, 2005, 7:10 AM
There's International Celebrate Bisexuality Day on 23 Sept each year which many of us involved in bi activism will hang events and awareness raising off, which might be the equivalent thing for what you are looking for.

Gay pride marches & festivals take place all year round across the globe so I suppose the equivalent in the separate bi community (and increasingly we're a part of the gay / LGBT pride stuff) would be things like BiFest and BiCon.

DÆMØN
Jul 17, 2005, 12:42 PM
From what I gather, the Bi Pride movement is picking up speed; google around and read articles. We're still 10 or 15 years away from where the Gay/Les movement is today. So we are definitely getting there. We still have a lot of work to do yet. Persevere ! *Cheers*

twosides
Jul 17, 2005, 9:25 PM
Yeah, thanks ya'all. I'm really not trying to be an agitator when I ask the question. Because I'm a newcomer, I just want to know what kind of public stance this particular community has at this particular time. The question is crafted to understand the activist nature of us in-between others as a group. If we are 15 years behind the G/L movement, are we going to have to follow their experiences of fighting for recognition as they have over that time, or will we be able to slide along on their coat tails into normal society some number of years from now? Or is this a moot question? Just a finger in the wind.

Sex in Words
Jul 19, 2005, 1:12 PM
Aren't you in luck, there'll be something to read on here very soon for you!

Heartless01
Jul 20, 2005, 6:43 AM
Hmmm

I don't think I am the "Movement" type. I usually get nauseated when I hear ANY group talk about their "movement".

:rolleyes: On second thought, how about a movement to make the over religious, nosy, bitter, jealous, mentally unemployed of the world mind their own business? :bigrin:

psgoodguy
Jul 21, 2005, 3:46 AM
every june in most major cities there is LGBT Pride...parades, festivals, the whole shebang. here in palm springs our is in november because of the heat of june.

Brian
Jul 23, 2005, 10:32 PM
This thread is ideally complimented by our latest article, posted just now.

http://main.bisexual.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212

:)

- Drew :paw:

twosides
Jul 25, 2005, 12:46 AM
Excellent article there from that link. It's exactly what I was looking for. A nice little primer of how we, the bisexual community, are making our voices heard among all the others. Right now it's important that we are making a sound, not that it's necessarily a loud, obnoxious sound.