PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful and Aware about Internet Links (such as in "Rosie O'Donnell has done it ag

DannyJ
Sep 26, 2006, 2:26 AM
BE CAREFUL AND AWARE!!! I sent an e-mail using the link given here, and now I'm on the mailing list of this asshole organization! I think it's good to support Rosie O'Donnell in this matter, but if you want to avoid what has happened to me, then 1), copy the address and send the e-mail via your sender, not through this link, or 2), maybe better yet, find a public forum (library, internet café, etc.) and send it from one of their terminals. Remember this for future reference, and good luck to you all.

Reprob8
Sep 26, 2006, 2:35 AM
BE CAREFUL AND AWARE!!! I sent an e-mail using the link given here, and now I'm on the mailing list of this asshole organization! I think it's good to support Rosie O'Donnell in this matter, but if you want to avoid what has happened to me, then 1), copy the address and send the e-mail via your sender, not through this link, or 2), maybe better yet, find a public forum (library, internet café, etc.) and send it from one of their terminals. Remember this for future reference, and good luck to you all.

should bable to opt out, I didn't because it is nice to know what the other side is saying sometimes

canuckotter
Sep 26, 2006, 8:34 AM
I've got a mail server set up so that any thing at my domain name gets routed to a single mailbox. So any time I sign up with something that requires a real email address but that I don't want spammed, I just create a new email address, and if it starts getting spam, I set up a filter to throw away everything that comes in to that addy. :)

Suppose my domain name is "example.com". If I were signing up to Falwell's site, I'd put falwell@example.com. If I were signing up for a free iPod, I'd use freeipod@example.com. If I were signing up for something on WalMart's site, I'd use walmart@example.com. Very easy for me. :)

shameless agitator
Sep 26, 2006, 4:20 PM
I should have thought to warn people about that. I have a spam box. whenever a website asks for an email address I give them one for a yahoo account that I just check & empty every month or 2. Out of curiosity, how much mail are they sending you? I might want to get it sent to my regular address for opposition research.

Brian
Sep 26, 2006, 7:03 PM
If they don't offer you a way to opt-out of future emailings, then that is a violation of the CAN-SPAM Act and you can report them to the FTC here: http://www.ftc.gov/spam/

- Drew :paw:

codybear3
Sep 26, 2006, 7:18 PM
If they don't offer you a way to opt-out of future emailings, then that is a violation of the CAN-SPAM Act and you can report them to the FTC here: http://www.ftc.gov/spam/

- Drew :paw:

Thanks for the tip, Drew...I have sent this info out to my contacts... :paw: :paw:

DannyJ
Sep 29, 2006, 10:43 AM
Update:
I sent them a message saying that I was for everything they were against and called them some colorful names, after which I used their "opt out" link...haven't been bothered by these assholes since. Although I detest their being able to trace me via their e-mail link back to me, at least getting rid of these bastards--on my computer, anyway--was easy (so far; I'm still checking, just to make sure.........).