PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of serious (sorry)

creach
Sep 19, 2006, 9:05 PM
Today i got an email about a new kind of brest cancer known as Inflammatory Breast Cancer. It's mildly concerning as you don't get lumps, and it doesn't show up in a mammogramm.

I have tried to make it into a web link but i can't. If you would like a copy of it send me your email via Private messages and i will be happy to forward it on to anyone.

This is serious so no jokers please, many thanks

Creach

JrzGuy3
Sep 19, 2006, 9:25 PM
I heard of this some time ago, so I don't think it's new.

But, say it with me: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammatory_Breast_Cancer) is my friend.

arana
Sep 20, 2006, 4:17 AM
Here is a link to some information about this:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=health&id=4578209

csrakate
Sep 20, 2006, 9:47 AM
Creach,
This is a very timely post! October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and I would like to encourage all women to schedule their annual mammograms and to continue to do regular breast checks!

Hugs,
Kate

gina42
Sep 20, 2006, 10:13 AM
Today i got an email about a new kind of brest cancer known as Inflammatory Breast Cancer. It's mildly concerning as you don't get lumps, and it doesn't show up in a mammogramm
This is serious so no jokers please, many thanks

Creach

creach,
i got that link sent to me from arana and it brings bad sad memories for me and fears as well.
the inflammatory cancer is not new,it is a slient killer and the scary part is even if you have yearly mamograms you cant pick this one up.
this was the type of cancer that i lost my mother to in april of 1991,i never knew how this type of cancer started untill arana sent me the link (thank you sis for the information).
but creach thank you for starting this thread,esp where oct is breast cancer awareness month~
i cant stress enough how important it is for all women to schedule their annual mammograms and to continue to do regular breast checks every year esp. if there is a family history of breast cancer~~
i do a self exam of my breast every month here at home and guys this should be done bye you as well,my obgyn doctor had told me last year that even men can get breast cancer as well as us ladys..
hugs to all my friends and family :grouphug:

csrakate
Sep 20, 2006, 10:37 AM
You bring up a very good point Gina....breast cancer affects men as well and they would be wise to do monthly checks as well! Two of my husband's closest high school friends lost their dads to breast cancer...Coincidence of course, but shows how often it happens!

arana
Sep 20, 2006, 1:46 PM
You bring up a very good point Gina....breast cancer affects men as well and they would be wise to do monthly checks as well! Two of my husband's closest high school friends lost their dads to breast cancer...Coincidence of course, but shows how often it happens!
That's very true. When I was little my uncle had surgery because they had found a lump in his and luckily got it in time.

Couples should be checking each others out on a regular basis.

andie
Sep 21, 2006, 9:24 AM
In Feb of 2005 I had a mammogram as I was concerned about a lump near my nipple. The radiologist informed me that my lump was not breast tissue but was thickend skin. Fortunately my referring physician recommended that I have a biopsy to make sure. A few days later my surgeon that did the biopsy called me to tell me that I had infiltrating lobular carcinoma. Due to the location a lumpectomy was not recommended. Three days later I had a mastectomy of my left breast. I was fortunate that it was incapsulated and had not spread to my lymph nodes. Today I am on an oral chemo and will be for five years. The side afffects are minimal. I asked my surgeon about the negative results on the mammogram and he told me that unfortunatley this type of cancer does not always show up on a mammogram. I share this not to scare but to inform. If you are not comfortable with the results of a mammogram ask for a biopsy.

csrakate
Sep 21, 2006, 12:42 PM
Andie,
It was most courageous of you to share this very intimate part of your life with us. You are doing a great deal to help countless others become aware of such an insidious disease, one that can sit silently unless we question a diagnosis.

Best of luck to you in your treatment. You are a strong and brave lady...you'll do fine!

Hugs,
Kate

curious married m
Sep 22, 2006, 12:36 PM
Andie, You shared this with me earlier than most and I was so envious of your positve attitudes and determination during a frightening and challanging time. You are truely an incredible lady who gives this room so much. And your post is just another example of that giving spirit. Hope you stay in our little chat family for a long time. MUAH CMM

creach
Sep 22, 2006, 8:40 PM
I am really moved to read about all your life stories and i thank you all for making my first post so accepting! (I was nervous...)

I lost my best friend to regular breast cancer (if it can be called "regular") and i miss her dearly. Am thinkin of her now with a tear in my eye, but my greatest gift from her is having met her. It's is tragic that we lose our friends and loved ones but i belive it is far mare tragic to not meet them as they always leave us with fond memories of better days and courage through there struggles.

For Jo who was so brave through it all, miss u chick!

Creach x x