PDA

View Full Version : This Forum Needs sections

element_of_wind
Sep 14, 2006, 9:01 PM
I think this forum needs more sections than just "Main Forum" and "Articles"; it would make tracking all the conversation topics a lot easier, and might facilitate more discussion.

Sample Ideas for Sub-Fora:

Bisexuality (ruminate on the nature of Bisexuality)
Bisexual Relationships (talk about relationships)
Coming Out (for people to talk about their coming out experiences / discuss whether they want to come out, etc.)
Sex (talk about sex practices, masturbation, what turns you on, etc.)

Arts / Media / Entertainment (talk about your favorite books, movies, music, etc.)
Politics / Religion (every forum is required to have a politics, a religion section, or both. This is so the world can have more controversy, knowledge, and hatred.)
Off Topic (another obligatory topic)

Note that my comments come from the peanut gallery; I'm not the one running the website. I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way - or differently.

TashaSW
Sep 14, 2006, 9:09 PM
I agree on sections :)
I think it would also make things easier to find if your looking for certain post. :)

Tasha

JrzGuy3
Sep 14, 2006, 9:53 PM
I don't think we need so many separate sections. I think it would be good to have one big Sexuality section, as I think most of us come here for the general sexuality talk.

I think adding in a Personal Ads section would cut a decent amount of refuse (you know: people who register, post an ad and disappear forever), and an Anything Goes would also be good.

I think too many sections, though, would be a mistake. To borrow EoW's system:

Bisexuality (ruminate on the nature of Bisexuality)
Bisexual Relationships (talk about relationships)
Coming Out (for people to talk about their coming out experiences / discuss whether they want to come out, etc.)
Sex (talk about sex practices, masturbation, what turns you on, etc.)

I think the problem here is that there will be many, many topics which may be ambiguous between a few of these. Also, to be frank, I do't think we have enough new Sexuality-themed posts each day to warrant needing this many folders for Sexuality. One would do.

Herbwoman39
Sep 14, 2006, 10:21 PM
Keep in mind that this IS a free site guys. Too many improvements may lead to Drew having to charge us a fee. Not to mention all the work that goes into constructing a site and the down-time that would be involved.

It's more complicated that just slapping in a few new sections, I'm sure.

taz67156
Sep 15, 2006, 12:50 AM
the more added to the site the more space it takes up on the server and if to large of a site then we all might have to start paying for it so enjoy what we have atleast since its free and with the personal ads you can set that up in your own profile on here

smoothshaft
Sep 15, 2006, 2:39 AM
Yes, create some categories. I am sure it started out with one so as to not have just a few posts in a scattering of forums. Now that it grows, it is time to categorize by topic area.

It can all be done with this software in 15-20 minutes via the admin control panel, and it will not increase hosting costs.

allbimyself
Sep 15, 2006, 8:50 AM
I think it's quite interesting that those so in favor of adding categories are newbies.

I'd suggest you hang out here awhile before suggesting making changes to the site. This type of thing has happened in the past, changes were made (added new rooms to chat) that are never used. AND the person that requested them hasn't been around in awhile.

So you'll excuse us if we don't give much weight to newbie requests.

Also, this is not the proper place to make a request. Send a PM to Drew for that.

Enoll
Sep 15, 2006, 10:33 AM
Even though I'm a newbie here, I'm a regualr on many other forums.
From the looks of this one the way it is seems just fine.
Not like there's a flood of threads every few minutes.

And a politics and religion section? Bleh.
All I've seen come of those is alot of childish arguments
and waxing intellectuals.

miamiuu
Sep 15, 2006, 10:45 AM
Since right now there is one forum I don't see any problem with posting threads with suggestions for the site. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing the forum broken down into section where people can talk about whatever they want about sex and also a section where people can talk about actually being in bi type relationships and thier emotional feelings. For all we know people maybe offended by some of the sex related threads on this board. This is just my opinion, but I dont necesarrily think a board wants to be represented by whether you prefer cut or uncut penises as one of its first threads. :2cents:

Rhuth
Sep 15, 2006, 11:22 AM
I don't feel as welcome in forums with categories.

I just posted recently in my polyamory boards where there are several sections and subsections to post in. My thread got locked and moved to a subcategory I had not noticed before. Apparently no one else noticed it either. We all just browse the general boards and leave the subgroups alone. So no one is reading my thread anymore.

I feel like I broke some rule and was punished. So rather than trying to figure it all out, I just do not plan on posting there anymore. I feel more welcome posting here without the categories. As for finding a specific thread, I use the search forums feature, and have never had any problems finding topics.

There's my :2cents: !

Enoll
Sep 15, 2006, 11:25 AM

I feel the same way, some have way too many.

Just aslong as this forum never has a "spam" section I'll be happy.

Avocado
Sep 15, 2006, 1:54 PM
Even though I'm a newbie here, I'm a regualr on many other forums.
From the looks of this one the way it is seems just fine.
Not like there's a flood of threads every few minutes.

And a politics and religion section? Bleh.
All I've seen come of those is alot of childish arguments
and waxing intellectuals.

Which is why so many people want the bi board politics-free.

smoothshaft
Sep 15, 2006, 7:00 PM
I think it's quite interesting that those so in favor of adding categories are newbies.

I'd suggest you hang out here awhile before suggesting making changes to the site. This type of thing has happened in the past, changes were made (added new rooms to chat) that are never used. AND the person that requested them hasn't been around in awhile.

Also, this is not the proper place to make a request. Send a PM to Drew for that.

You would be in charge, then?

When you have 1,000 posts, you can call someone a newbie. Cute term, that. Does it give you a feeling of superiority? You and your 177 posts?

Excuse us. Who is us.... you and your mouse pad?

In case you can't tell, your post was off the mark and offensive.

This is the proper place to make a request, because it is a forum site with one forum. That is the only place possible.

allbimyself
Sep 15, 2006, 7:20 PM
You would be in charge, then?

When you have 1,000 posts, you can call someone a newbie. Cute term, that. Does it give you a feeling of superiority? You and your 177 posts?

This is the proper place to make a request, because it is a forum site with one forum. That is the only place possible.

No, Drew is in charge.

No, "newbie" is a common term on community sites. Deal with it.

"Us" is everyone that has responded to the suggestion negatively, you'll notice they've been around here for awhile.

In case you can't tell, I couldn't care less if you were offended. It was not my intention to do so, but if the truth offends you, that's your problem.

There are lots of features to this site besides the forum. If you think it's the only place to leave feedback that show's your ignorance. I was merely trying to educate you. Obviously you can't read since I told you EXACTLY how to make a request, yet you still seem to think this is the only place you can.

There have been many "new members" (since someone is offended by the term "newbie") that have been making suggestions for "improving" the site. It seems a bit odd to me that people that have been here for such a short period could possibly know what needs improving and what doesn't. I gave you an example of when that happened in the past.

Now, part of discussion is providing argument and reason to support one's position. Taking offense to that is childish.

In my book, the people that have been using this site for many months to years know a bit better about what needs to be changed than someone that joined last month.

codybear3
Sep 15, 2006, 8:28 PM
In defense of all the new members, change (or new ideas for change) are good. They cannot always be made on one persons need, wish, desire, etc...Drew has made changes in the past that have improved the site while still maintaining a "FREE" (that means no cost to you/us/them/everybody) site...I am sure that changes will be made in the future and hopefully in our favor...I do not own this site, but I use it because I am allowed to do so...

In defense of the "OLDIES"... :bigrin: ...Yeah...We've been here, done it (weather right or wrong), and do actuall have a right (as longer members) to say that the new people need to play around here and see how things work before making suggestions for change or stomping on a member (weather he/she has 1 post or 5,000 post) for making a comment on "the board"...Or do we need to ask Drew for a board with "NO REPLYS TO MY POSTS CUZ I WILL GET PISSED OFF" section??? All new members have always been welcomed here but by no means should you stay if you don't want to...I hope you do stay... :) ...Thats my :2cents: cuz thats what this board is for... :paw: :paw:

Flounder1967
Sep 15, 2006, 9:14 PM
I myself like the way it is currently layed out. It's elcletic. I agree with Rhuth it welcomes all and I think it's friendlier.

TashaSW
Sep 15, 2006, 9:40 PM
I like the way the board is too :)
Just came form another message board Im usually on too, it has so many sections that it seems confusing at times.
Plus sometimes it seems just one section gets all the attnetion, if you post a topic that belongs elsewhere, its moved and no one sees it and you pretty much forget about your own post as well, becoming unware if someone actually did reply to it in the other section.... ooops!!!

What I like best about THIS board is all new posts auto gets put on top of the page so you don't have to go page after page just checking for new posts.

Tasha

arana
Sep 15, 2006, 9:51 PM
:2cents: I can see the good and bad to categorizing threads into groups. For one I would hope it would end the numerous times certain subjects get posted or asked about. After being here awhile you see certain questions over and over again. If they were in a specific section maybe the individuals interested in that particular subject would be able to find the older information and could go from there instead of having to start a whole new thread. Not only would it save space and seeing people say the same things more than once but the originator and anyone else interested could be better informed. Not everyone posts to the same question a second time, or someone that posted a great answer is no longer around to reply again so people who don’t check every old thread miss out on some valuable advice.

The bad part would be it hampers the natural flow of discussion within a forum because by right you’re only allowed to talk about the subject at hand. People become protective, confronting and offended in threads as it is. If you labeled them into sections it would be inviting more unnecessary arguments and confusion to the mix. As bisexuals we already deal with enough controversy, we don’t need to add to it. We try to keep a friendly atmosphere throughout the entire site and sometimes that means compromising and dealing with things you find a little inconvenient. Before you criticize someone’s group and start dissecting it you really should spend time to see what’s right with it.

Drew has come a long way with this site and done amazing things to create a family type environment. He’s spent his vacation time with tech support when chat or the site has been down so that we wouldn’t have to be without our friends. He's pulled his hair out trying to come up with a chat system that worked for the majority of us. (sorry Tex) He’s revamped the site and taken our opinions into consideration even though he didn’t have to. I’m sure he has other changes to be made in time but he does try to ensure our happiness as well. He’s done his best to give us a home and keep us from having to pay rent. He deserves a lot of kudos. :2cents:

TashaSW
Sep 15, 2006, 10:10 PM
:2cents: I can see the good and bad to categorizing threads into groups. For one I would hope it would end the numerous times certain subjects get posted or asked about. After being here awhile you see certain questions over and over again. If they were in a specific section maybe the individuals interested in that particular subject would be able to find the older information and could go from there instead of having to start a whole new thread. Not only would it save space and seeing people say the same things more than once but the originator and anyone else interested could be better informed. Not everyone posts to the same question a second time, or someone that posted a great answer is no longer around to reply again so people who don’t check every old thread miss out on some valuable advice.............

I agree with the above, some older posts can conatin very good advice, cause no one posts anymore, it gets pushed pages and pages back to the point no ones gonna bother looking unless they are bored :)
MAYBE we could have a search engine??
That way we can look up posts before we ask in case its been posts by someone else before... for example: "Cheating" - Brings up all the topics about cheating. And your most likely to find very good advice from people that are no longer around.

Tasha

bhg08054
Sep 15, 2006, 10:53 PM
I've been thinking about this too. At present, I read through the threads in the order of their last posts. The problem with this is that it can be kind of "jarring" jumping between some of the topics.

My idea in breaking up into sections would be more like:

Serious stuff
Sexy stuff
Fun stuff
Stuff about the forum itself

JrzGuy3
Sep 15, 2006, 10:56 PM

Allbimyself

smoothshaft

Also, Allbi made a completely valid remark. Is it really so unbelievable and heinous someone who has been a member of the community may understand the dynamics of this board a smidge more fully than someone who joined a month ago?

Whether or not that was off the mark, I don't think it was rude at all. I actually think it was put rather considerately. You, on the other hand, sound like you could use some preparation H.

:twocents:

JrzGuy3
Sep 15, 2006, 11:01 PM

Scroll all the way up to the top of the screen, and read across the little green bar hun. :tong:

Also, you can actualy program Google to search within certain sites. Let's say you wanted to search for pages on this site that use the word... "transgender."

Type this into google:

site:bisexual.com transgender

And it'll google this site for that word. you can also use combinations of words; just the site:blahblah section, one space, then the text to be searched.

While the built in search engine works pretty good, Google's a good redundancy system for when the first is on the fritz.

TashaSW
Sep 15, 2006, 11:07 PM
Scroll all the way up to the top of the screen, and read across the little green bar hun. :tong:

LOL wow.... I wasn't even paying attention to that box :) never mind lol *likes the green search bar* And I was just telling another member on here in MSN that its weird how sometimes we don't see things till its pointed out. :)

Tasha

arana
Sep 15, 2006, 11:24 PM
I agree with the above, some older posts can conatin very good advice, cause no one posts anymore, it gets pushed pages and pages back to the point no ones gonna bother looking unless they are bored :)
That way we can look up posts before we ask in case its been posts by someone else before... for example: "Cheating" - Brings up all the topics about cheating. And your most likely to find very good advice from people that are no longer around.

Tasha
Only problem with that is not all thread titles are named exactly to what they are talking about.

JrzGuy3
Sep 16, 2006, 12:13 AM
This forum also needs more cowbell.

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/9057/morecowbell0001ph6.jpg

Rhuth
Sep 16, 2006, 12:48 AM
This forum also needs more cowbell.ROTFL
Bravo! That is quite appropriate here.
This forum has fever! And the prescription is...

Lorcan
Sep 16, 2006, 3:51 AM
I am another one who would like more sections. Just not too many sections. I don't want to click and click and click and click to get where i want to go. The seven sections outlined by element_of_wind sound good to me.

It just just help me screen out the stuff that i don't want to look at. (not always in the mood to see "cocks or pussies") And it would be easier to look at older information so not as many new threads on old topics would happen.

But I know the change would be pretty time intensive for Drew. So i'm not expecting it, and it is a pretty great web site as it is. And where would we put "music to get off on", Arts&Entertainment or Sex? :tong:

Avocado
Sep 16, 2006, 3:59 AM
How about only 2 boards - bi and everything else? I come here to read posts about bisexuality, not about how Al-Qaeda are right and the rest of us are wrong all the time.

allbimyself
Sep 16, 2006, 10:23 AM
That sounds like a good compromise to me, avocado. Just add one forum "offtopic - if it's not about bisexuality it goes here."

Multiple forums solves one problem but introduces others. When a board is VERY busy, forum topics make things a bit easier to find. However, they ASSume that the posters will post in the appropriate forum. They don't. In my experience with other boards, as many as 15% of threads are mislocated, leading to self-appointed moderators and general confusion, not to mention additional work for the administrators.

This forum just isn't busy enough to justify that.... yet.

Hockey Girl
Sep 16, 2006, 11:15 AM
This forum also needs more cowbell.

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/9057/morecowbell0001ph6.jpg

I totally agree JrzGuy3!! Add some Mr.Pibb and Red Vines and we'd be set :)

Hockey Girl

biecnal
Sep 16, 2006, 2:34 PM
This site has many advantages over other bi contact/discussion sites.

It has just enough features to make it usefull without being cluttered.

It has great discussions.

It has great (real) people.

It is FREE (although I would gladly pay for the service).

Just my 3.5 cents ;-)

Lance

smoothshaft
Sep 16, 2006, 3:44 PM
No, "newbie" is a common term on community sites. Deal with it.

You would be mistaking me for someone who did not know that. As a registered user on a half dozen vBulletin forums, I have over 2,200 posts on one, over 1,200 posts on another, and more posts on the rest than you have here. Having 177 posts in the time you have been registered here is hardly impressive, even though it is apparent that you think so.

In case you can't tell, I couldn't care less if you were offended. It was not my intention to do so, but if the truth offends you, that's your problem.

Truth does not offend me. Your belief that you have the exclusive corner on it is one of your defining qualities and deserves to be recognized. Hence my post in recognition of your achievements.

What you clearly don't understand is that people like you, with attitudes like you have, discourage people from posting their opinions. In this case, regarding their interest in some categorization here. That is upsetting to you, so you try to squelch it, offering a condescending rationale regarding what we have done in the past. If you want this forum site to grow, you are going to have to be open to change, suggestion, and a loosening of your controlling grip on what is acceptable to you.

There are lots of features to this site besides the forum. If you think it's the only place to leave feedback that show's your ignorance. I was merely trying to educate you. Obviously you can't read since I told you EXACTLY how to make a request, yet you still seem to think this is the only place you can.

A forum is a place of exchange. That is its purpose. Notice the exchange that this thread has prompted, and I did not start it, by the way. Obviously I can't read? Feeble. I'll give you a 1.9 on that.

Your quote: Also, this is not the proper place to make a request. Send a PM to Drew for that..... reveals that you do not understand the purpose and function of forum sites. It also reveals that you have no tolerance for any other view than your own. If all you ever wanted was one forum, you would not need software that is this capable.

In my book, the people that have been using this site for many months to years know a bit better about what needs to be changed than someone that joined last month.

Your book is a very thin, hardbound volume.

csrakate
Sep 16, 2006, 4:41 PM
Truth does not offend me. Your belief that you have the exclusive corner on it is one of your defining qualities and deserves to be recognized. Hence my post in recognition of your achievements.

What you clearly don't understand is that people like you, with attitudes like you have, discourage people from posting their opinions. In this case, regarding their interest in some categorization here. That is upsetting to you, so you try to squelch it, offering a condescending rationale regarding what we have done in the past. If you want this forum site to grow, you are going to have to be open to change, suggestion, and a loosening of your controlling grip on what is acceptable to you.

Please...can't we put an end to this pissing match??? Smooth, all Allbimyself was trying to suggest was that in the last several months, new members have joined the site and proceeded to clamor for changes without giving the present set up a chance. Some of those changes were made and at present, they sit unused and those that demanded them are no where to be found to utilize the much demanded changes. All I think anyone requests of so-called "newbies" is to give the site a bit of time to get used to before demanding change...that's all.

This is a free site for God's sake....take it for what it is....enjoy the fact that it exists and move on if it doesn't suit. And by all means, don't use the forum to express your feelings of anger towards another member. That is not the intention of a public forum! As it says in the rules, flame the idea, not the person who posted it!

Now...can we please move on to a more positive atmosphere???

Hugs,
Kate

smoothshaft
Sep 16, 2006, 4:43 PM
Please...can't we put an end to this pissing match??? Smooth, all Allbimyself was trying to suggest was that in the last several months, new members have joined the site and proceeded to clamor for changes without giving the present set up a chance. Some of those changes were made and at present, they sit unused and those that demanded them are no where to be found to utilize the much demanded changes. All I think anyone requests of so-called "newbies" is to give the site a bit of time to get used to before demanding change...that's all.

This is a free site for God's sake....take it for what it is....enjoy the fact that it exists and move on if it doesn't suit. And by all means, don't use the forum to express your feelings of anger towards another member. That is not the intention of a public forum! As it says in the rules, flame the idea, not the person who posted it!

Now...can we please move on to a more positive atmosphere???

Hugs,
Kate

Sure.

wanderingrichard
Sep 17, 2006, 2:22 AM
egawds!! i need to stop reading when i'm drunk! i thot this said this forum needs SUCTION!!

element_of_wind
Sep 17, 2006, 3:09 AM
Okay, well this has been interesting.

For the record, I'd like say the website is just spiffy. I just thought it would be a little clearer with categories. Not everyone here agrees with me, and I'm cool with that.

No, I will not excuse you, because your reasoning is fallacious. Can you say ad hominem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem)?

Whether element_of_wind has a post count of 1 or a post count of 10,000 has nothing to do with whether or not the forum should have more sections.

Saying that "adding subfora is a bad idea because it would create confusion," or "adding subfora is a bad idea because it would make me or other posters feel unwelcome" are both perfectly good cases against adding subfora. Saying that "element_of_wind is a newbie and newbies have made bad suggestions before" is not.

I wanted to stir up discussion and see what everyone else's opinions on the topic were. After all, I wouldn't want to beg the administrator to 'add more boards', and then find out that no one on the site but me wanted extra boards.

As is, I probably won't push my suggestion further, because it seems that folks here are pretty much evenly split on the issue.

And, I don't know how much trouble adding extra forums would be to Drew. Under some forum management schemes, it would probably be pretty easy, under others it might be really hard and not worth the trouble.

smoothshaft
Sep 17, 2006, 10:50 AM
And, I don't know how much trouble adding extra forums would be to Drew. Under some forum management schemes, it would probably be pretty easy, under others it might be really hard and not worth the trouble.

It is very, very easy, handled from an administrative control panel.

taz67156
Sep 17, 2006, 1:12 PM
the site is fine just the way it is cause most of us know where things are at or we can find them ourselves, if people think something else should be done then it needs to be sent to Drew. all of you new people that think we need different things in the forums should come to chat if you can't find something and we can help you find it cause its not that hard to look for something on here.

miamiuu
Sep 17, 2006, 1:38 PM
the site is fine just the way it is cause most of us know where things are at or we can find them ourselves, if people think something else should be done then it needs to be sent to Drew. all of you new people that think we need different things in the forums should come to chat if you can't find something and we can help you find it cause its not that hard to look for something on here.

I really don't see why the "old" posters have so much problems with suggestions. Some of these replies come off like they are offended that any thing has been requested to be changed. :rolleyes:

wanderingrichard
Sep 17, 2006, 2:49 PM
ok, let me weigh in here.

consider this an open letter to all members, and i really do not care what you think of me afterwards.

first off i could care less who is an newbie or an "old poster". what this started out as, and is still a valid suggestion, is that we could really use some more organization in our forums/threads. personally it's hell trying to search thru every one to find the right 'theme', if you will , that interests me.

this has absolutely nothing to do with whether this is a pay site or not. drew and company have done a great job keeping this thing roped together and running and still free to members. recall his regret that they had to bring in ads to help pay the bills?? trust me, i can almost guarantee that they didnt do it lightly on a lark.

BUT:

imagine the confusion a relative newcomer has when they
1st show up and really want to become involved really quickly but may find searching for the right topic a bit overwhelming. how many times have we seen basically the same thread or topic show up posted by more than one person a week or a month apart?? too many to count? jog your memory?

seen it , havent you?

so, yeah, it's been suggested before, and probably will be suggested again, but we could still use a bit more organization in that respect.

now, stop flaming each other over niggling little bullshit and put your heads together and come up with solid valid suggestions that can help us as a community.

Rich

Sparks
Sep 17, 2006, 2:57 PM
Keep the Main Forum. If the majority concures with catagories, then let's let Drew set up a poll. Sound fair? :2cents:

anne27
Sep 17, 2006, 3:04 PM
I don't see a need for catagories. It's not like there are a hundred new threads started everyday, so we all get lost in the shuffle.

There's nothing wrong with it now, why mess with it?

:2cents:

EludedSunshine
Sep 17, 2006, 10:22 PM

I just posted recently in my polyamory boards where there are several sections and subsections to post in. My thread got locked and moved to a subcategory I had not noticed before. Apparently no one else noticed it either. We all just browse the general boards and leave the subgroups alone. So no one is reading my thread anymore.

I feel like I broke some rule and was punished. So rather than trying to figure it all out, I just do not plan on posting there anymore. I feel more welcome posting here without the categories. As for finding a specific thread, I use the search forums feature, and have never had any problems finding topics.

There's my :2cents: !
I concur.

Another problem that I've found on large fora (which I don't yet consider this to be, but I feel it will grow exponentially) is that once the forum is sectioned off, many people tend to visit only specific sub-fora. While it may be much easier to navigate when you know what you're looking for, it also has the unfortunate side effect of robbing the other fora of valuable opinions. As it is now, it's easy to skip a topic you don't think you'll be interested in. If a forum is split, it's easy to miss a whole batch of topics, one or two of which might have been regrettable to miss. That fact doesn't even begin to address topics which could have fit in three or four places, but are relegated to just one.

If we are to create sub-fora with the site as it is now, I beg that it be with VERY few splits--and this is coming from someone who is a bit obsessive-compulsive in regard to organization. The only sub-forum I could see not creating any of the above problems would be one dealing with technical issues on the site.

:2cents: from someone between newbie and old-timer :tong:

JohnnyV
Sep 17, 2006, 10:54 PM
I'm probably the last person in the world who should express an opinion about this, because I am one of those "waxing intellectuals" that somebody complained about. When I started on this site a year ago, I got into the bisexuality-related threads for a few weeks. Then, as Arana has pointed out, I noticed that it was the same question posted over and over again. After a while I stopped opening the threads with titles like "do you like uncut cock?" or "how do you know you're bi?" Not because I think anything's wrong with the people who posted them -- I posted some threads like that in the past -- but rather, because once you've read enough of those threads you don't have much to add, and you know that someone else will help that person out through PMs and the like.

I think it's better to leave the forum the way it is. You know what tone a thread will have when you look at the title. If you're like Avocado and you don't want to hear anybody bring up a point that challenges Bush and Blair's position on world politics, then skip over the thread and keep your political consciousness intact, and just read about cock size and threesomes. If you're like me and you get really excited talking about politics, but you don't feel like reading about anymore people who think their best friend is gay but don't know how to tell, then skip the personal-help threads and dive into the controversies about war protestors, Log Cabin Republicans, and cluster bombs.

Even if you separate out the forums, you are still going to find it time-consuming to skip through the threads and jump from forum to forum anyway. I've been a member for a year and I haven't found much difficulty.

The other thing is, I like the fact that we have a lot of things going on at the same time. I wouldn't want people to stop posting sex questions, nor would I feel happy if there were no politics.

J

smoothshaft
Sep 17, 2006, 11:00 PM
If this forum site grows, in terms of number of registered users, post and thread count, you will have to develop categories.

What you have here essentially is one forum. The Articles forum, though using forum structure to create/define its place, is hardly a forum. You have this forum. Everything..... every possible subject.... all tossed together.

The most valid criticism that could be leveled against some categorization by content/theme/topic would be that you have too small a population with too small a post rate. It is important to note that reader frustration in finding content pertaining to certain aspects of your larger subject will be cause for them to give up in frustration and/or go elsewhere.

Vigorous, growing forums do not have one forum. It is not uncommon to have vBulletin forums with 20-30,000 registered users and intense posting rates. Those sites do not have one forum, as that simply would not work.

Here are just a few examples. Do a web search on: powered by vBulletin, and look at the many thousands that will appear.

http://www.rx7club.com
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/index.php
http://www.baseball-fever.com
http://www.graphic-forums.com
http://www.advrider.com/forums/
http://www.webhostingtalk.com
http://www.adsensechat.com
http://turbodieselregister.com/forums/index.php?
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum

You might be surprised at how some categorization would promote people reading, doing research, and posting. Your goal is to attract registered users and new posts and threads.

Two suggestions for forums would be a forum for bi-curious people and an off topic forum. Others can offer some suggestions.

EludedSunshine
Sep 18, 2006, 12:28 AM
Can't believe I forgot about this...

Perhaps what we could do to bridge the two camps (not to put any more stress on Drew, of course) is something I've seen on some other forums: post tags. Instead of having a happy face or whatever to the left of the post topic, the poster could select an icon that puts the post in a general category. It would be easy to sift through visually without having to click on a bajillion different things.

Of course, this won't solve the problem if we ever get up into thousands of daily posters, but frankly, we aren't there yet. There's no real need to split the forum at this time. Tags could be a good start, though.

smoothshaft
Sep 18, 2006, 12:33 AM
There's no real need to split the forum at this time.

Quite a few of those posting in this thread don't accept your assertion.

JrzGuy3
Sep 18, 2006, 12:42 AM
Quite a few of those posting in this thread don't accept your assertion.

Many feel one way, many others feel the opposite, and you're still being condescending.

smoothshaft
Sep 18, 2006, 1:17 AM
Many feel one way, many others feel the opposite

Yes, that was my point.

and you're still being condescending.

No.

JrzGuy3
Sep 18, 2006, 1:23 AM
No.

Fine, I can play your game too.

You're a poopyhead!!!! ;)

coyotedude
Sep 18, 2006, 2:53 AM
For what it's worth (as a newbie), my :2cents: :

Newbie ideas might be pooh-poohed by old-timers, but the opinion of the Site Administrator (Drew) trumps all! :eek: :eek: :eek:

But seriously... Having kept track of this thread for the last couple days, I've concluded that while a more formal organization of the discussion forums would appear to have great benefits, such a move simply wouldn't be a natural fit for this community. Not only does this community have some obviously strong-willed and passionate people (and let me say again: :eek: :eek: :eek: ), but a more free-flowing style simply appears to be a better fit at this time.

Not that my opinion should count for anything! But I humbly offer it nonetheless. Flame it or not as you will....

arana
Sep 18, 2006, 3:08 AM
Not that my opinion should count for anything! But I humbly offer it nonetheless. Flame it or not as you will....
Please don't say that. Your opinion DOES count, as does everyone elses.

miamiuu
Sep 18, 2006, 3:19 AM
Something else I would reccomend if maybe some threads are put up as stickeys.

Reccomendation for some stickey threads

1. What do people think on coming out?
2. When did you realize you were bi?
3. Introduce yourself to the board.

BiBiologist
Sep 18, 2006, 9:11 AM
Maybe we could just separate out the sex stuff and put that in a members only forum, and keep the rest as it is? That also might help keep out the curious little eyes. Surfing 10-yr-olds don't need to see that stuff, and frankly, some of it makes me uncomfortable too.

Mrs.F
Sep 18, 2006, 10:09 AM
Fine, I can play your game too.

You're a poopyhead!!!! ;)

:cutelaugh :bowdown: LMFAO!

arana
Sep 18, 2006, 10:45 AM
Maybe we could just separate out the sex stuff and put that in a members only forum, and keep the rest as it is? That also might help keep out the curious little eyes. Surfing 10-yr-olds don't need to see that stuff, and frankly, some of it makes me uncomfortable too.
I agree with this. Some of the things posted in the Forums shouldn't be as accessible to non-members, especially some of the more explicit topics.

TashaSW
Sep 18, 2006, 1:29 PM

I agree too.... some stuff is a bit too personal for non-members and even minors to be reading.

canuckotter
Sep 18, 2006, 9:06 PM
Vigorous, growing forums do not have one forum. It is not uncommon to have vBulletin forums with 20-30,000 registered users and intense posting rates. Those sites do not have one forum, as that simply would not work.
Cart before the horse, dude. The most attractive feature of any mid-range forum is significant but not overwhelming activity. There's a certain critical mass that many forum-goers can feel. While the traffic on here is close to the point that splitting is viable, the problem is that there's no possible split that's come up yet that would allow all resultant sub-forums to maintain that critical mass of posts. Any sub-forum without that critical mass would wither and die quickly, especially if the long-standing members found they weren't interested in the topics in that forum.

Personally, about a month and a half ago I went through a site that I administer and pruned about 75% of the subforums because they were so rarely used. The result? Traffic has been steadily climbing ever since, even without attracting new members. (Old-timers returning, people becoming more interested overall, etc.) The amalgamated sections all see significantly more use than the old individual forums combined did.

You obviously have some experience on forums, but please remember that chances are, so have most of the other people on here -- and that the old-timers all have WAY more experience than you with this forum in particular. :)

Edit: I'm not saying that there's no reason to split the forum, or that there aren't ways to do it that would be good. I'm just saying that none of the suggestions I've seen feel right to me. I am an experienced forum administrator, but there are plenty of incompetent forum administrators out there and there's every chance that I'm one of them and don't know it. ;)

shameless agitator
Sep 19, 2006, 5:28 PM
Okay here's my 2 cents & yes I'm a newb on this forum. There seem to be a couple topics that keep coming up over and over, threesomes & coming out come to mind immediately. Don't know if seperate sections for these would necessarily be the way to go, but what about pinned threads? This way people would see those, get an idea of what people had to say & if they wanted to continue the discussion they could do it in the existing threads instead of starting new ones.

JrzGuy3
Sep 19, 2006, 8:41 PM
I feel like I've spent a lot of time in this thread so far being a cynic (not that there's anything wrong with that) rather than actully giving opinions. So anyhoo, on everything we've talked about...

On newbies:

If you have <20 posts or 1 month's time here, you're a newbie. Does this mean it's the first time you've tuned on a computer and come on the internets? No. You may have >10,000 posts on many other websites. But this site isn't just a collection of 1s and 0s lost in cyberspace, it's a dynamic, thriving community of people. Things are working well here. People are happy here. I've seen many websites which are either A) devoid of posts, accumulating maybe 2-3/month, B) nothing but personal ads or C) killed by infighting. This board is one of the few which isn't any of these things. And I think that most of the old timers and the newer but still established posters (it seemed many people signed up around the time I did around 6 months ago) are happy with that and would like to preserve it. If you're new here, then you're new here and no amount of activity on other sites changes that. Sorry, smoothshaft. Deal with it.

Does that mean that the site cannt be improved upon or that newbies' thoughts on improving it are useless? Not at all. I think the person who started this thread (element_of_wind?) brought up a good discussion point, whether or not it's one we've had in the past. And (this is key, smoothshaft), she even managed to be polite in doing it (wonder of wonders). But, please. Don't sign up as a member of a forum and immediately start complaining how terribly designed the site is when you have about a dozen posts here (Edit: Or in your case, smoothshaft, not even) under your belt. Think your other sites are administered so much better? Go back to them.

On sections:

Why not have sections? I think that sections should reflect our needs as a community in both terms of breadth of topics discussed and in number of posts. While we I think a few sections might be alright and help the organization of the site, I don't think we need any we don't already have. Certainly, I think that one section for everything here sexuality and gender themed would easily be sufficient. I think an "Everything Else" section would also be good. I don't think we need anything more. We don't have the traffic to justify it. In fact, having too many sections starts to make the site (imo) more innavigable b/c you need to go through 6 threads to see the find 1-2 posts since last time you surfed through! Also, if we add some sections, they would need to be topics which aren't too close (see Rhuth's earlier comment. If I want to talk about a sexual-themed conversation I had with a friend, I don't want to be debating which of 6 sexualiy sections we have. "Gender & Sexuality" and Everything Else" I doubt would have this issue. I also wouldn't mind a "Personal Ad" section, for no reason other than to clean up the refuse of people who register, make one "I wanna get laid but my wife can't know" post and disappear forever.

Sticky Threads:

This is something I'm not behind. If there's something wrong with the servers that host the site and Drew wants to let us know that service will be slow for a few days, cool. But if you're some 19 y/o kid who surfs in having some sort of crisis understanding her/his sexuality and looking for advice, what would make you feel more comfortable? A "Questioning & Coming Out" thread that your post is #527 in, or a new thread that's just you? All conversations are as unique as the person who makes them, even if many "I want to come out!" threads appear pretty homologous. I think that we should be respecting that.

As for larger discussions we've alreday had, so what? For one, my opinions on issues (as well as others') may very well change from month to month and year to year, and I'd like the ability to refine my opinions on topics from time to time and I hink that rehashing old conversations is fun, regardless. Besides, having conversations on old topics more times is still fun, even if we've had them in the past.

:2cents:

JrzGuy3
Sep 19, 2006, 8:50 PM
I agree too.... some stuff is a bit too personal for non-members and even minors to be reading.

I'd be leary and actually disagree with this in priniple.

As for non-members reading threads, I think that would really stunt the community's growth. I personally don't join messege boards if I can't see it first to gauge the vibes the site's sending out.

First of all, why shouldn't minors be able to see what's being posted here? Although the themes of this site will be sexually explicit, the amount of actual pornography that gets hosted here is pretty low and the little that is present is mostly contained to personal profiles (I would be behind making profiles members-only). Furthermore, when oh when did the job of ensuring minors follow appropriate web browsing habits stop becoming the responsibility of parents and get transferred to the people rightfully enjoying content minors shouldn't be trying to access in the first place?

coyotedude
Sep 20, 2006, 4:29 AM
Please don't say that. Your opinion DOES count, as does everyone elses.

Thank you! That does make me feel better, believe it or not.... :)

Peace

Long Duck Dong
Sep 20, 2006, 6:43 AM
gonna stick my two cents worth in here

ok... regarding the *newbie * issue...... the post count means nothing..... a person can lurk for 2-3 months before posting....therefore they can be a member that doesn't post, but have a sound knowledge of the site and therefore are offering constructive suggestions...then when they post, they show a low post count, but that is no indictation of site involvement lol

ok now to the matter of sections.....bisexual.com is a easy to read, open, informative forum and very well laid out

if I was the admin of the site, I would add a couple of sections..... I would leave the main forum... but add a sexuality, health and advice section... and another section for talking about sexual practises and desires lol

the reason for that, is not all people wanna read about a persons private parts or a persons sexual practises...lol so have a seperate section would give people the option of posting more risque type posts in a area that is not flooding the main forum lol
and the health section can be a section for dealing with more indepth sexual matters like dealing with stds, illnesses, counselling advice etc.....

this way each group of the majority is covered and it can help people keep track of their threads better

over all its a bit like the sexual pics v's the people that don't wanna view sexual pics, but enjoy viewing profiles.....
having a pic section in the profile that is classed as sexually explicit pics, allows people the freedom to still post their pics...and it allows people to browse the profiles without having to worry about dealing with sexually explicit pics

as one wise man once said * the world is full of compromise and understanding....however the two are never combined and so mankind will never understand that compromise can solve most issues *

canuckotter
Sep 21, 2006, 8:14 PM
Sticky Threads:

This is something I'm not behind. If there's something wrong with the servers that host the site and Drew wants to let us know that service will be slow for a few days, cool. But if you're some 19 y/o kid who surfs in having some sort of crisis understanding her/his sexuality and looking for advice, what would make you feel more comfortable? A "Questioning & Coming Out" thread that your post is #527 in, or a new thread that's just you? All conversations are as unique as the person who makes them, even if many "I want to come out!" threads appear pretty homologous. I think that we should be respecting that.
That's not necessarily the way it would work though, JrzGuy3. What some site administrators will do is ask a respected, well-spoken board member to write up a summary of the most common responses to a particular query, post that in a new thread, and make that thread a sticky. Let's say we have one on the topic of coming out. If someone new comes in and says "I want to come out, any advice?" we can direct them to the sticky and say "This should answer a bunch of your questions, but if not, let us know." In situations where there are a lot of really repetitive threads, it can cut down a lot of the repetition -- and even better, it makes the remaining threads much more likely to contain something new and interesting. :) Generally, no more than two or three such stickies should exist on a forum.

And personally, after considering it a bit further, I'd be very happy to see a "Personal Ad" forum, especially if moderators moved such topics from this forum to there when they inevitably creep back over. It is, realistically, only a couple posts per week, but with its own section, you never know. It might actually blossom into something more useful. :cool:

JrzGuy3
Sep 21, 2006, 9:16 PM
If someone new comes in and says "I want to come out, any advice?" we can direct them to the sticky and say "This should answer a bunch of your questions, but if not, let us know." In situations where there are a lot of really repetitive threads, it can cut down a lot of the repetition -- and even better, it makes the remaining threads much more likely to contain something new and interesting.

While in a vacuum I'd agree with this, life doesn't happen in a vacuum. I think that many of the people who make these posts tend to list far more than "I'm coming out, any advice?". They go into personal situations which are always going to have unique needs to be addressed and shouldn't be given cookie cutter answers beyond the very, very general.

Furthermore, I think that making a coming out post goes beyond soliciting advice. Often, the person making the post (imo) is going to be going through mental hardship with it and the ac of making a post and seeing positive, personalized responses and reassurances is a cathartic as much a step of the coming out process as is going up to your friends and letting them know.

canuckotter
Sep 21, 2006, 9:25 PM
Agreed. The same thing would be true of any of the other topics that I thought of that might deserve a stickied post ("Is my husband/wife bi?/Am I bi?" or "3-somes, good idea or not?"). But the nice thing about having a sticky that deals with the general stuff is that the conversation in that person's individual thread is likely to be, well, more novel. If they've got a hundred questions, 95 of which have been asked many times before and are answered in the sticky, then wouldn't it by nice for them (and for us) to be able to focus on the other 5? :)

I dunno. It might work, it might not. It wouldn't likely decrease the volume of those posts -- for reasons you already pointed out -- but I do see it as helping to focus the conversations on the more interesting and unique aspects of each person's individual situation.

Lorcan
Sep 21, 2006, 9:33 PM
Okay here's my 2 cents & yes I'm a newb on this forum. There seem to be a couple topics that keep coming up over and over, threesomes & coming out come to mind immediately. Don't know if seperate sections for these would necessarily be the way to go, but what about pinned threads? This way people would see those, get an idea of what people had to say & if they wanted to continue the discussion they could do it in the existing threads instead of starting new ones.

Pinned threads on common topics: I think that is a great idea. That way i wouldn't have to write the same &*$# twice. Because the second time the thread pops up as a new thread, i rarely take the trouble to write it again. (and while you might all like that :bigrin: I don't)

JrzGuy3
Sep 21, 2006, 10:54 PM
But the nice thing about having a sticky that deals with the general stuff is that the conversation in that person's individual thread is likely to be, well, more novel. If they've got a hundred questions, 95 of which have been asked many times before and are answered in the sticky, then wouldn't it by nice for them (and for us) to be able to focus on the other 5? :)

I still agree in principle but I think that taking time out to help an individual in some sort of mental crisis (and I'm willing to bet most of the people who ask about coming out are, whether it's evident or not) should trump keeping the forum neat and tidy. In the same sense, let's say you were coming out and went to a psychologist for help. If you got to the waiting room half an hour early and before talking to him/her, the receptionist hands you a piece of paper and says "Here's the things you were probably going to ask about, and the answers he'd give you. Let's see if we can save some of our time and your money," would you feel like you got anywhere? In my case, there would be a tirade of swearing followed by a slamming door.

Now are we psychologists? No. But you're kidding yourself if you don't think that in many ways we provide each oher the same services.

canuckotter
Sep 21, 2006, 11:16 PM
You're seeing it in terms of "Read this instead of talking to us". Back to your analogy, the shrink is asking you to read it instead of talking to him. The way I see it, the shrink has available a bunch of reading material for you to look at while you wait. You don't have to take advantage of it, but if you do, you'll probably have a more productive conversation. Not a replacement but a supplement. :)

JrzGuy3
Sep 21, 2006, 11:23 PM
You're seeing it in terms of "Read this instead of talking to us". Back to your analogy, the shrink is asking you to read it instead of talking to him. The way I see it, the shrink has available a bunch of reading material for you to look at while you wait. You don't have to take advantage of it, but if you do, you'll probably have a more productive conversation. Not a replacement but a supplement. :)

I know what you mean, but I'm not sure that's how it would come across to the person who surfs in.

Though I think we're getting to agree-to-disagree territory now. :rolleyes: