PDA

View Full Version : Question about the word Lesbian

Avocado
Sep 7, 2006, 5:50 PM
Does it mean gay female or queer female? Cheers for any input.

DiamondDog
Sep 7, 2006, 6:03 PM
it's both!
it's also a politcal term too.

I attatched a cartoon written by a bisexual woman that explains it a bit.

JrzGuy3
Sep 7, 2006, 6:15 PM
Repeat after me: "Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesbian) is my friend."

innaminka
Sep 7, 2006, 7:12 PM
Does it mean gay female or queer female? .

Actually, it just means female!! :female:

Aleksandra
Sep 7, 2006, 7:52 PM
I'll sugest you to look at the ancient Greece, and famous island called Lesbos, everything started there, and basicly, in old Greek culture you may have a real explanation for this term.

Btw, and come to visit Lesbos, it's awesome place. :-)

Avocado
Sep 8, 2006, 2:42 PM
Interesting. It means both, but according to wikipedia it means exclusively attracted to other females? I'm lost again :tongue:

DiamondDog
Sep 8, 2006, 3:05 PM
Interesting. It means both, but according to wikipedia it means exclusively attracted to other females? I'm lost again :tongue:
some women who call themselves lesbian will sometimes have sex with men (we'd call them bi but they don't use tha label since in the lesbian "community" there is or once was a big fear/hatred of bi women since it was thought that they spread AIDS because they had sex with men :rolleyes: ), and some women who call themselves lesbian are even partnered to men as it's a political/philosophical label.

sex researchers have a hard time finding out who the "real" lesbians are since lots of women use it as a political label.