PDA

View Full Version : bbca special

Reprob8
Sep 5, 2006, 10:33 PM
Something I noticed coming up on bbca, I don't know how much it will apply to most people here. But it is worth watching and discussing I am sure.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/home_living/my_husband_is_gay/my_husband_is_gay.jsp

ScifiBiJen
Sep 5, 2006, 11:17 PM
I can't imagine that this will be a good thing.

"I like guys so i must be GAY"
"I don't have sex with my wife anymore so I must be GAY"
"I fooled around with a guy one time when I was 16 so I must be GAY"

Why does it have to be a binary? WHY?

Herbwoman39
Sep 5, 2006, 11:32 PM
I'm with Jen. This does NOT bode well for dispensing with stereotypes. If anything it sounds like it's going to be all about how good being straight is and "Look what those bad people have done". <sigh> So much for progress.

Reprob8
Sep 6, 2006, 12:46 AM
bbc usually tends to be more responsible than american cable channels, I am curious to see what it is about. If it was produced by an American company then I would probably pre-judge it also.

I like your sig Jen, that was one of the better parts of that movie.

Tynary
Sep 6, 2006, 3:55 AM
I don't like it either. I have deep reservations.

whichway06
Sep 6, 2006, 7:42 AM
What concerns me is this is called a "STUDY", this word is widely missused at least in my terms of what a study is or should be. This will be a wait and see until it airs. As we all know from watching TV media outlets are not real good at doing studies without bias or trashing a segment of the population.
Being this is on TV my first thought was "here we go". The paragraph explaining what this show is about on the BBCA web site already has me feeling this show will be about "your gay so I hate you", "you screwed up my live beause your gay".
If this show puts being gay or bisexual in the negetive it will be used as a bases for many arguments that being gay and bisexual always has a negetive out come because this show is being called a "STUDY" which most likely will be missrepresented. There are many people that quote so called studies that are nothing more than one persons opinion. For a study to be a study needs to be factual that shows all side and angles of what is being studied.
I plan on watching this show to see what it's about, if it's bullshit I will write some letters to BBCA and let them know. What does writing a letter do? Well when these media people receive hundreds of thousands of letters they do in most cases listen. There have been some well known TV people taken down due to viewer response by writing letters. I hope you all have a great day and hugs to all you gay, lesbian, bisexuals and you straight people who love us for who we are.

DiamondDog
Sep 6, 2006, 5:09 PM
BBC America certainly has some interesting documentaries...

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/home_living/my_100000_lovers/my_100000_lovers.jsp

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/home_living/male_33_seeks_puberty/male_33_seeks_puberty.jsp

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/home_living/my_mums_used_to_be_men/my_mums_used_to_be_men.jsp

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/home_living/coked_up_britain/coked_up_britain.jsp

How are you all getting more info about this? Do you watch the documentary yourselves, or is there a clip of it on the site (I have ad/script blockers installed so is this why it's not showing up)?

jedinudist
Sep 6, 2006, 5:44 PM
Why does it have to be a binary? WHY?

Because...

so many people simply can not deal with anything or anyone the does not fit neatly into their predefined little boxes. Too much of society sees sexuality this way:

You're either Straight (hetero) or you're NOT. If you aren't absolutely 150% heterosexual, then you're gay. Many see anything other than those two designations as mere excuses. It will take them time to wake up and realize that all the b.s. they have been programmed to believe is wrong, and that people are everything, all shades of all things.

This program definately does not look like it is going to help with that either :(

Reprob8
Sep 6, 2006, 7:38 PM
Because...

so many people simply can not deal with anything or anyone the does not fit neatly into their predefined little boxes. Too much of society sees sexuality this way:

You're either Straight (hetero) or you're NOT. If you aren't absolutely 150% heterosexual, then you're gay. Many see anything other than those two designations as mere excuses. It will take them time to wake up and realize that all the b.s. they have been programmed to believe is wrong, and that people are everything, all shades of all things.

This program definately does not look like it is going to help with that either :(

The only people who seem to understand bisexuality are bisexuals themselves.
I have relatives who view the label of bisexuality as a sign of hope that they can persuade me to change.

Reprob8
Sep 10, 2006, 10:31 AM
I didn't see the program but my wife did, she spent a couple hours crying when I got home. It appears that four three couples broke up even though one coupld still cohabitated. Evidently their agenda did not include showing a happy, healthy, bi couple. I still want to see it so I know wht to say when I write them the nasty letter they are going to get.

I thought this would happen because bbca is one of the channels my wife watches when I am work.