PDA

View Full Version : Evan Rachel Wood takes HRC award

bi-news
Feb 8, 2017, 6:31 PM
...and makes a hugely powerful speech on the impacts of bi visibility and bi invisibility

Here (http://bicommunitynews.co.uk/5563/evan-rachel-wood-receives-hrc-visibility-award/)

csreef
Feb 8, 2017, 7:38 PM
That was a very good speech that reached me in a lot of ways. :bibounce:

Thank you Bi-News for another good posting! :flag2:

pole_smoker
Feb 8, 2017, 8:27 PM
The HRC is a completely pointless organization that claims that they do a lot to help and enrich LGBT people's lives but in reality they just want our cash and instead promote stupid celebrities like Evan Rachel Wood and Chastity "Chaz" Bono, all while claiming LGBT people are victims. But the news article you linked to also is full of the "We're bisexuals and are victims!" BS. :rolleyes:

nashs.bath
Feb 8, 2017, 11:27 PM
The HRC is a completely pointless organization that claims that they do a lot to help and enrich LGBT people's lives but in reality they just want our cash and instead promote stupid celebrities like Evan Rachel Wood and Chastity "Chaz" Bono, all while claiming LGBT people are victims. But the news article you linked to also is full of the "We're bisexuals and are victims!" BS. :rolleyes:

We shall have to agree to disagree. Maybe you know more about HRC than I do but it has never been my experience that the LGBTQ community was portrayed as a victim of any kind. I also thought Ms. Wood gave a very genuine account of her emotions while she was coming to the realization she is a bisexual woman all while promoting an empowering, positive message of self acceptance.

pole_smoker
Feb 9, 2017, 12:10 AM
We shall have to agree to disagree. Maybe you know more about HRC than I do but it has never been my experience that the LGBTQ community was portrayed as a victim of any kind. I also thought Ms. Wood gave a very genuine account of her emotions while she was coming to the realization she is a bisexual woman all while promoting an empowering, positive message of self acceptance.

Research the HRC more and you'll see what I wrote is true. As for Wood, you won't even remember her name in 2-3 years.

nashs.bath
Feb 9, 2017, 12:41 AM
Research the HRC more and you'll see what I wrote is true. As for Wood, you won't even remember her name in 2-3 years.

As I said, we will agree to disagree as our experiences with HRC are obviously not concurrent. I will say Evan has been outspoken about the community since her role in Thirteen and seeing as she is starring in Westworld, her star isn't likely to burn out in the forseable future. Disregarding all of this, I just don't understand why her speech upset you. Even if she disappeared tomorrow, even if you discount HRC as a money grubbing, victim inciting cash grab, can we at least agree she spoke sincerely as a proud bisexual about embracing her sexuality? Celebs come out as gay or lesbian and everyone cheers them but I can't recall another celeb to embrace being bisexual. While I don't need her support to come to peace and appreciation about being Bi as I am sure you don't either, some people do, no?

bw299
Feb 9, 2017, 12:43 AM
We shall have to agree to disagree. Maybe you know more about HRC than I do but it has never been my experience that the LGBTQ community was portrayed as a victim of any kind. I also thought Ms. Wood gave a very genuine account of her emotions while she was coming to the realization she is a bisexual woman all while promoting an empowering, positive message of self acceptance. nashs.bath do yourself a favor like most of us have and go to pole_smoker's profile page and click on "ignore user".....

nashs.bath
Feb 9, 2017, 12:55 AM
nashs.bath do yourself a favor like most of us have and go to pole_smoker's profile page and click on "ignore user".....

Guess I am just a glutton for punishment, lol. I disagree with him quite often and normally ignore him when I do, but he is entitled to his opinion and has been civil in our discussion. Just want to understand a differing viewpoint