PDA

View Full Version : Savage Love: "I Don't want to say I'm Bisexual..."

glantern954
Aug 30, 2006, 7:13 AM
Source: Village Voice - Savage Love Column
Author: Dan Savage
Date: August 29th, 2006 1:08 PM

Q. I'm an 18-year-old girl going off to college in September, and I'm not sure how to identify myself to people I'm meeting for the first time. I stayed at my school from kindergarten until I graduated last week. Everyone there knew I liked both girls and boys, probably because I was kissing them from about third grade on. I can't say I'm a lesbian, because it's inaccurate, and I'm certainly not straight. If given the choice between Brad and Angelina, I'd definitely go for her.

I don't want to say I'm bisexual, because 95 percent of the "bisexual" 18-year-olds I've met were drunk straight chicks. So what do I say? "I'm a dyke, but I'll do boys too"? "I'm bisexual, but not one of those bisexuals"? Or should I just flirt with hot people and forget about labels?

—Not One of Those Bisexuals

You can read his response at the link below:
Link: http://www.villagevoice.com/people/0635,savage,74305,24.html

ScifiBiJen
Aug 30, 2006, 12:45 PM
That was a good response. I definitely agree: just call yourself whatever you want to call yourself and try not to worry if anyone else is ruining that name for you. Just be yourself and people will see for themselves that you aren't like the others.

Herbwoman39
Aug 30, 2006, 1:16 PM
That was an *excellent* response. I'm quite impressed. He didn't beat around the bush and just laid it out for her.

It all just boils down to "Be yourself." Hell, I only use the "bisexual" label because it's easier for the straight community to understand. My personal preference is "sexual fluidity".

Tynary
Aug 30, 2006, 5:17 PM
I like being called a bisexual. It just sounds nice to me. Don't let people's stereotyped ideas upset you (take up tai kwon do then be happy in the knowledge you could kill them in one move. god I hate people who don't understand my sexuality.)
If people think you are a drunk straight chick well then they are insane because you can't be drunk 24/7. Be who you are. I hate the stereotype that bisexuals are promiscuous because its like I can't be the very sexual person that I am because people will say stuff about me but you just have to learn to be confident (tai kwon do also helps with that) hehe.

smokey
Aug 30, 2006, 5:59 PM
Just be who you are and pursue whomever interests you and to hell with what other people think, if they do at all.