PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Shooting

cslutt
Jul 8, 2016, 12:02 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cm0DWPvUEAEs2yW.jpg

cslutt
Jul 8, 2016, 12:03 AM
Count is up to 11 shot. Still active snipers, negotiating with one sniper currently.

void()
Jul 8, 2016, 9:32 AM
@cslutt , Please do not read this as callous or indifferent, lacking empathy. Police know the risk they take and still do the job. Moving on, I am sorry to hear of anyone being harmed in such a manner. Hope they arrange a just ending to a clearly apparent siege on the police. Beyond this I've no further comments.

tenni
Jul 8, 2016, 11:47 AM
The headline in the Globe & Mail states that the Dallas shooter suspect was angry with the police shooting of Black men.

Duh.....Is there anyone who could not figure this out on their own?

I feel sad, for many US people who are living in a psychologically disturbed society that in part swirls around, racism, mass murders, gun issues and mental illness.

darkeyes
Jul 8, 2016, 12:27 PM
I got wind of this when out this morning and was horrified. We still don't know all the details and must wait before making judgement. My historical animosity to the police and how they police is well known, but the way to air a grievance is not to butcher and maim those who are the object of our derision. An eye for an eye is no way to resolve human disputes, if, as seems likely this is what this is....

..and I find that (thankfully) my close relationship with a police officer who is herself armed has not mellowed my feelings about firearms, police, policing or the futility of slaughter whomsoever does the slaughtering or why...

cslutt
Jul 8, 2016, 1:31 PM
@cslutt , Please do not read this as callous or indifferent, lacking empathy. Police know the risk they take and still do the job. Moving on, I am sorry to hear of anyone being harmed in such a manner. Hope they arrange a just ending to a clearly apparent siege on the police. Beyond this I've no further comments.

I know, I was in retail for many, many years, subjected to holdups, break-ins, drive-by shootings, etc., but still opened every morning (even after being there at 3 am to clean up the broken glass and get the window or door boarded up) in hopes of having a great day ahead.

pole_smoker
Jul 8, 2016, 8:03 PM
The headline in the Globe & Mail states that the Dallas shooter suspect was angry with the police shooting of Black men.

Duh.....Is there anyone who could not figure this out on their own?

I feel sad, for many US people who are living in a psychologically disturbed society that in part swirls around, racism, mass murders, gun issues and mental illness.
As usual Tenni bashes the United States, as though Canada is completely perfect and free from such problems. :rolleyes:

http://i.imgur.com/MXvqckE.jpg?1
This is one of the shooters, he's a racist black man who hated white people. Which is not surprising. No not all blacks are racist; but many black people can be racist both against anyone that's not black, and other black people.

My husband and I were disturbed by what happened, and have the families, friends, and co-workers of the victims and people at the terrorist attack in our thoughts.

I'm not surprised that the racist hate group black lives matter or someone who makes them look boring and tame was involved in this, they are also to blame for what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ep_Bq--YlQ

pole_smoker
Jul 8, 2016, 8:26 PM
Here are some quick facts for all of you (with sources included), seeing as the media only wants to report violence by police against blacks (as that is what "sells"):- According to "The Guardian"’s tally, of the approximately 1001 people killed by police in 2015 in America, 502 were white, 250 were black, 163 were Hispanic/Latino, 18 were Asian/Pacific Islander, 13 were American Indian, and 54 were other/unknown.- Of the 566 police related shootings so far this year, 279 were white, 136 were black. (same source as above)- In 2015, 12 percent of white and Hispanic homicide deaths were due to police officers, while only four percent of black homicide deaths were the result of police officers. (WallStreet Journal)- In 2015, black cops were 3.3 times more likely to fire a gun than other cops at a crime scene when the victims were of any race. (Department of Justice, FBI data)- 49 percent of those killed by officers from May 2013 to April 2015 were white, while 30 percent were black. 19 percent were Hispanic and 2 percent were Asian and other races. (Washington Times)- A police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black person than a cop killing an unarmed black person. (WallStreet Journal)- There have been over twice as many cops victimized by fatal shootings in the first three months of 2016 vs. 2015. (same source as above)This is NOT to say that there is not racism in America, nor that the deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile were justified, but please know the full statistics before you state "black lives matter". The sooner we can get past "blacks" and "whites" and get back to "Americans" the better off we will all be and the sooner it will allow us ALL to crush any racial inequality that still stands. #AmericaDivided needs to become #AmericaUnited. #Dallas #alllivesmatter

pepperjack
Jul 8, 2016, 8:57 PM
In all fairness, Tenni does point out some key societal issues that have come into play in the apparent murderous rampage that has been going on thus far this summer. It's leaving many feeling bewildered, myself included. Almost every morning for weeks now it seems I've started my day with my first cup of coffee and ' Breaking News ' on the television causing me to ask myself " what in the hell is going on now ? " Some are even beginning to compare this current pattern to the racially charged late 60's.

Throw into the mix record high dangerous heat and a very volatile election year with each party's candidate rating as very unpopular.

In addition, there are other reports beginning to emerge of copycat ambush attacks on police officers.

Happy post 4th of July, America !

pepperjack
Jul 8, 2016, 9:34 PM
Where I agree with pole is on the BLM ( Black Lives Matter ) movement which appeared to be , in part, a motive of the shooter. He clearly emphasized having been influenced by it. It has a history, since its inception, of being disruptive, antagonistic, hostile, militant.

In the wake of the Dallas massacre, it now appears to be in a face-saving mode, attempting to distance itself from the shooter.

tenni
Jul 8, 2016, 11:11 PM
"Some are even beginning to compare this current pattern to the racially charged late 60's. "

I was thinking similar thoughts. It feels like the same comparison. Buildings have not been burned yet this summer but the violence is there if not with greater intensity and confusion like a nightmare.

jem_is_bi
Jul 8, 2016, 11:58 PM
"Some are even beginning to compare this current pattern to the racially charged late 60's. "

I was thinking similar thoughts. It feels like the same comparison. Buildings have not been burned yet this summer but the violence is there if not with greater intensity and confusion like a nightmare.
People have more guns now than in the 60's and believe they need even more. I wonder how helpful that is for avoiding racial violence?

void()
Jul 9, 2016, 1:25 AM
The sooner we can get past "blacks" and "whites" and get back to "Americans" the better off we will all be and the sooner it will allow us ALL to crush any racial inequality that still stands. #AmericaDivided needs to become #AmericaUnited. #Dallas #alllivesmatter

Wow. I can actually agree with that. Now, possibly do you see my point in saying that fanatics can come from any walk of life? It seems you're getting there in part at least.

darkeyes
Jul 9, 2016, 3:36 AM
The sooner we can get past "blacks" and "whites" and get back to "Americans" the better off we will all be and the sooner it will allow us ALL to crush any racial inequality that still stands. #AmericaDivided needs to become #AmericaUnited. #Dallas #alllivesmatter

I may have serious questions on the earlier part of ur post, Poley, but I do like its ending.. but we shouldn't stop there.. ur post also mentioned other ethnic groups not all of whom are classed as black or white, and not all are American's or ever shall be for one or more of a myriad of reasons... I understand that America divided should become America united ethnically at least, but I prefer to think that a divided humanity should lay down its weapons become a united humanity and live in mutual respect peace and harmony irrespective of ethnicity, credo or gender and work together in co-operation for the good of all.

Welllllll.. a girl can dream can't she?:)

void()
Jul 9, 2016, 4:08 AM
I may have serious questions on the earlier part of ur post, Poley, but I do like its ending.. but we shouldn't stop there.. ur post also mentioned other ethnic groups not all of whom are classed as black or white, and not all are American's or ever shall be for one or more of a myriad of reasons... I understand that America divided should become America united ethnically at least, but I prefer to think that a divided humanity should lay down its weapons become a united humanity and live in mutual respect peace and harmony irrespective of ethnicity, credo or gender and work together in co-operation for the good of all.

Welllllll.. a girl can dream can't she?:)

That's a dream worth having. :)

pepperjack
Jul 9, 2016, 7:12 PM
As usual Tenni bashes the United States, as though Canada is completely perfect and free from such problems. :rolleyes:

http://i.imgur.com/MXvqckE.jpg?1
This is one of the shooters, he's a racist black man who hated white people. Which is not surprising. No not all blacks are racist; but many black people can be racist both against anyone that's not black, and other black people.

My husband and I were disturbed by what happened, and have the families, friends, and co-workers of the victims and people at the terrorist attack in our thoughts.

I'm not surprised that the racist hate group black lives matter or someone who makes them look boring and tame was involved in this, they are also to blame for what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ep_Bq--YlQ

You're right. When I was 18 I read this book : http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42603.Black_Like_Me. It had a profound effect on me.

One thing that really stands out in my memory is the author's discovery in his travels of the intense hatred of blacks within their own race, i.e. dark blacks hated lighter skinned mulattos, some hated creoles, etc.

Something else I think plays into this current powder keg is the gangsta rap/ thug life sub-culture masquerading as music, entertainment. It's replete with cop hating/murdering lyrics. Anyone who thinks that garbage constantly being drummed into the drug induced mind of a disgruntled inner city black youth is not going to have an influence is in complete denial. It's akin to the brainwashing techniques of ISIS.

Then you've got groups like the Black Panther movement openly calling for the systematic murdering of white cops as early as last year.

And the cops know all this. That's why they're anxious, jumpy, hyper vigilant.

A perfect storm.

void()
Jul 9, 2016, 10:22 PM
You're right. When I was 18 I read this book : http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42603.Black_Like_Me. It had a profound effect on me.

One thing that really stands out in my memory is the author's discovery in his travels of the intense hatred of blacks within their own race, i.e. dark blacks hated lighter skinned mulattos, some hated creoles, etc.

Something else I think plays into this current powder keg is the gangsta rap/ thug life sub-culture masquerading as music, entertainment. It's replete with cop hating/murdering lyrics. Anyone who thinks that garbage constantly being drummed into the drug induced mind of a disgruntled inner city black youth is not going to have an influence is in complete denial. It's akin to the brainwashing techniques of ISIS.

Then you've got groups like the Black Panther movement openly calling for the systematic murdering of white cops as early as last year.

And the cops know all this. That's why they're anxious, jumpy, hyper vigilant.

A perfect storm.

Oh wow. I thought a lot better of you. Let me reread your post.

Alright, being fair you're not saying all black youth have drug induced minds. Still your expression borders on a broad implication. It also seems quite derogatory toward inner city youth, be they black, yellow, green, red. To me it reads as though you hold no hope that any inner city youth are capable of having sound morals, a critical mind, desire to aspire to greater good.

Yes, I will grant that inner city youth face a lot of adversity. Does that mean we write them off as lost causes? I don't think we do. How about we write off white middle aged males, too, while at it? Those guys walk around pretending they own the world, all privileged up and ego fed that they are, no way any of them could ever have empathy for anyone beyond themselves. Yes, fuck middle aged white males too.

Let's keep going, we can write off the elderly and infirm next. Nobody needs them hogging up medical resources, being a burden on loved ones. Toss them into the incinerators as well. Still not quite sated that jingoistic itch, well, let us go on and mark off all those who favor any religion at all. Everyone knows it was religion that began the notion of hierarchy, aristocracy, kingship. No, we don't need that shit around any more either. Burn them all up!

Who does that leave? Oh yes, babies just being born you say? Well, we can be rid of them too. The little shit factories will starve the other 7-9 billion of us, oh wait that got lower taking out all the other dead weight shit didn't it? Still, no point not continuing the roll until we see where we end up.

You say it is the music that causes this? I don't think so.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1990-12-07/entertainment/1990341088_1_judas-priest-priest-heavy-heavy-metal

Apparently, at least one judge didn't either. Granted, that's only one case and a different form of music. My point though is artistic expression is that, artistic expression. It is like a gun, technology. The item, article itself does not make anyone do anything. If that were the case I could sue my desk because it makes me write, even against my will. You could sue your computer for making you say dumb things, too.

Again, it is not the tool or inanimate object like an idea that causes a person to do anything. At best, we might say the tool is perverted by human beings, living creatures, using it as an excuse for vile actions. You saying music influences someone's choices is akin to saying living does as well. At which point even you are a victim, no matter how much personal responsibility you claim to have marshaled, life causes your choices the same as it causes mine. Welcome to the victim pool, what's your excuse/s?

I apologize, I refuse to accept the construct of psychology that states we only respond to our environment. We can and do act, take action on, for, against, regarding our own respective environments daily that are not responses. I know we do, lest no one would even bother rolling out of bed much less taking that first waking breath.

Seeing you post such malicious hateful words dampens my mood but be assured it's only momentary. I genuinely had thought a lot better regarding you. I felt confident you were a valued friend that could see beyond negativity, could grasp hope. Now, I see such thoughts were of no avail. That is not something you did, it was my own thoughts of you. I have learned & in so doing will no longer hold you with as high esteem as I did.

I'm not attacking you. Your words here did that enough for yourself. Excuse me, I need to go enjoy some life.

pepperjack
Jul 9, 2016, 11:19 PM
You're a fuckin' idiot, full of confusing, convoluted bs !

How can you possibly try to pass yourself off as a writer when you can't even read with comprehension? :rolleyes: :eek2:

void()
Jul 10, 2016, 9:06 AM
You're a fuckin' idiot, full of confusing, convoluted bs !

How can you possibly try to pass yourself off as a writer when you can't even read with comprehension? :rolleyes: :eek2:

I comprehend well enough, thanks. Not saying you are directly
expressing these sentiments. Know you are not. Expressing my perception
of what you said. It reads as though you are making broad implications.

Not attacking you. Admitting my own error, holding you in higher
esteem. Thought you capable of empathy, compassion, humanity. This was
error in my discernment.

Self obliged thinking correctly regarding people. That I had such an
error of discernment is actually an opportunity. I can learn to be more
discerning of those I call friends. Thank you for such a lesson.

Life beckons, only here in passing. Excuse me.

ETA: By the by, hello and goodbye pole puppet number three. Your slip is showing, thought someone ought to tell you.

pepperjack
Jul 10, 2016, 12:05 PM
I comprehend well enough, thanks. Not saying you are directly
expressing these sentiments. Know you are not. Expressing my perception
of what you said. It reads as though you are making broad implications.

Not attacking you. Admitting my own error, holding you in higher
esteem. Thought you capable of empathy, compassion, humanity. This was
error in my discernment.

Self obliged thinking correctly regarding people. That I had such an
error of discernment is actually an opportunity. I can learn to be more
discerning of those I call friends. Thank you for such a lesson.

Life beckons, only here in passing. Excuse me.

ETA: By the by, hello and goodbye pole puppet number three. Your slip is showing, thought someone ought to tell you.

Yeah, I know ! Your style of attack is much more snide and indirect, such as in the above post.

You put a very distorted slant onto my post, which is also your style and accused me of malicious and hateful words when there weren't any , just some matter of fact observations of what could be influencing behaviors.

And so, it's okay for you to agree with something pole says and not me? :rolleyes: It makes me a puppet ? Can't get any more hypocritical and phony than that.:disgust:

void()
Jul 10, 2016, 3:38 PM
Yeah, I know ! Your style of attack is much more snide and indirect, such as in the above post.

You put a very distorted slant onto my post, which is also your style and accused me of malicious and hateful words when there weren't any , just some matter of fact observations of what could be influencing behaviors.

And so, it's okay for you to agree with something pole says and not me? :rolleyes: It makes me a puppet ? Can't get any more hypocritical and phony than that.:disgust:

Correct, I read and agreed with a valid point, anyone being slightly humanist would find endearing. Pole's point explicitly called for all human unity and equality. There was no room for perceiving anything more than what it stated. It was clear and did not offer any implications of nefarious subtext.

Yes, I also think you're correct it is hypocritical of me to continue replying to anyone I ignore. Let me try something different.

I expressed having a lowered opinion of you.

That bothers, or upsets you.

You can have whatever opinion you want of me. It does not matter to me. That is your opinion. You are more than welcome to it.

My opinion is mine, I am more than welcome to it. I will not apologize for having a lower opinion of you, now. If my lower opinion of you makes you that upset, I would not want to imagine what my going out and having a life well beyond your control does for your insecurities.

ETA: As for me twisting your words?

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’
’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’
’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”
― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

Words are shared and owned by us all. When you say them they can mean what you define them to say. When I say them, I become the master and not you. It is the same in writing and reading words. In point of fact Lewis Carroll made a correct and factual statement the character of Humpty Dumpty in this vignette. Whoever at the moment has the mastery of the words chooses their meaning. Whatever meaning that individual gives them is correct for that individual.

I had no need to twist any words. I read and observed a now lowered opinion of you upon what I read. Your perceptions are your alone as are my perceptions my own. We perceive differently. Mature adult humans do that sometimes. I was not attacking you, only expressing a lower opinion of you as due my error in discerning your character.

Now, for the something different.

I find the commentary you and others I ignore, fatuous, inconsiderable. With that I do excuse you from subsequent communication with me. Thanks, good escapades.

We are concluded. Good bye.

pepperjack
Jul 10, 2016, 4:07 PM
Correct, I read and agreed with a valid point, anyone being slightly humanist would find endearing. Pole's point explicitly called for all human unity and equality. There was no room for perceiving anything more than what it stated. It was clear and did not offer any implications of nefarious subtext.

Yes, I also think you're correct it is hypocritical of me to continue replying to anyone I ignore. Let me try something different.

I expressed having a lowered opinion of you.

That bothers, or upsets you.

You can have whatever opinion you want of me. It does not matter to me. That is your opinion. You are more than welcome to it.

My opinion is mine, I am more than welcome to it. I will not apologize for having a lower opinion of you, now. If my lower opinion of you makes you that upset, I would not want to imagine what my going out and having a life well beyond your control does for your insecurities.

Now, for the something different.

I find the commentary you and others I ignore, fatuous, inconsiderable. With that I do excuse you from subsequent communication with me. Thanks, good escapades.

We are concluded. Good bye.

I'm upset with your opinion of me ? :smilies15 Don't flatter yourself a-hole ! Just some more of your twisted, distorted bs. In case you're not aware, that last emoticon I used represents 'disgust ' not upset.