PDA

View Full Version : Bi Statements

cand86
Aug 23, 2006, 1:47 AM
I've been whiling around my time on a new site I discovered- commericalcloset.com- that catalogues and shows GBLTQ ads and commercials (both positive and negative). They have a few categorized under 'bisexual'- nothing that blew my mind away, most which were vaguely offensive. But along with the usual mainstream fare that fetishizes lesbians, stereotypes gay men, and portrays the "tricky" transsexual/transvestite as a monstrous drunken bad choice, there were the positive gay and lesbian ads created by non-profit organizations. It got me to thinking what I'd like to see, if I had unlimited resources and a TV spot for a positive bisexual ad to educate the public.

The one that my weird little mind creates shows a couple of guys watching a heterosexual couple across the street, just strolling happiliy and obliviously. The guys point and observe the guy and his blonde girlfriend, and one says to the other- "He must like blondes."
Another: "Hey, he could like brunettes, too."
Guy 1, waving his arm at them: "Oh, come on, look at him! He's with a blonde, so he must like blondes. Or maybe he's got a secret thing for brunettes and he's keeping it under wraps, imagining a brunette when he's with his blonde. But not both."
They turn away, and the screen flashes the words: "It isn't true for hair colors. Why would it be true for gender?" And then, in big, bold letters: "Bisexuals exist." with, of course, our lovely, waving flag emblem.

So it isn't the cleverest thing . . . but it gets the point across, I suppose. What I'd like to know is what all of you would creatively envision in a commercial message. Let loose!

(I attached a few of my favorite print ads from the site, too- the first one says "My Chosen Family", if you can't see it. Liberating or merely using bisexuality as a selling point? You decide.).

kinsey_3
Aug 23, 2006, 2:05 PM
Liberating or merely using bisexuality as a selling point?

Merely using bisexuality as a selling point would be liberating. It happens with straight sex all the time, two hundred thousand times a day, and most of us don't even see it. That's ubiquity. That's unstated first premise. That's not having to wave a big Heterosexual flag for people to read it as heterosexual.

The best way to advertise bisexuality is not even to mention it. Just have a Jack Daniels commercial with bisexual characters in it. Two men meeting in a pavement cafe, enjoying a drink with their partners - one's with a woman, one with a man. Setting and season different, they meet over a Jack Daniels - now this one's with a man, the other with a woman. Setting and season again different, and with golden light pouring over a classic American landscape at sunset, Jack Daniels pours golden over ice, and the two men are together again - together as a couple, enjoying the product and each other's company, before a roaring fire.

Strapline: Seasons Change. [Jack Daniels logo]

Rhuth
Aug 23, 2006, 4:45 PM
So it isn't the cleverest thing . . . Yes it is!! I love it! I'd donate to your ad campaign fund! ;) I never thought of comparing bisexuality to hair color. Lol

I found the print ads you chose quite liberating. The bottom line for companies is weather it makes them more money. The ads from non-profits are the ones trying to persuade public opinion. For the reasons the previous poster already illustrated, I find that ads interested in generating profits hold better sway on public opinion than non-profit ads do. Maybe it is just because they have more money to spread the ads around to begin with.

I'd still like to see your ad idea get made by a non-profit anyway.:tongue:

wkdblue
Aug 23, 2006, 6:40 PM
I like this I found.. simple yet effective

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8195/notconfusedoz7.th.jpg (http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=notconfusedoz7.jpg)

click for larger