PDA

View Full Version : Swing-Bi.com

Nauti Rogue
Dec 9, 2015, 9:23 AM
Just an FYI, folks... I've set up a basic forum at http://Swing-Bi.com for Bisexual Lifestylers. It's brand new and still under construction. After seeing that Drew has apparently died and left Bisexual.com adrift without administration, I thought it would be cool to set up an alternative.

I don't have a chat function installed yet, but I'd like for anyone who is interested to check it out, kick the tires, and give me some feedback. Let me know what works, what doesn't work, and what you'd like to see.

Boats
Dec 9, 2015, 9:35 AM
It works!This is the default web page for this server.
The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

This is what I get when I click on swing-bi.com

Nauti Rogue
Dec 9, 2015, 9:43 AM
Sorry, I was still doing some firewall configs. Try it now.

It works!

This is the default web page for this server.
The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

This is what I get when I click on swing-bi.com

Nauti Rogue
Dec 9, 2015, 9:52 AM
Woops!

Hold off folks. The email function isn't working so you can't register yet. I'll let you know when it's ready.

Sorry for the premature announcement!

pepperjack
Dec 9, 2015, 12:13 PM
I've looked at it; looks promising.

NakedInSeattle
Dec 9, 2015, 6:26 PM
I think I'm gonna like it. It has a common user interface with several other sites - tried and proven. Looking forward to the fun.

Nauti Rogue
Dec 9, 2015, 7:05 PM
OK, everyone, I think I've figured out the email issue. Go ahead and see what you think. Let me know if you find issues. I built this thing yesterday, so it's definitely still going to need some tweaking, but let's give it a test run.

Nauti Rogue
Dec 9, 2015, 7:07 PM
Who's gonna be the first user? ;)

sysper
Dec 9, 2015, 7:14 PM
me!!!! me!!!! :)

pepperjack
Dec 9, 2015, 7:25 PM
OK, everyone, I think I've figured out the email issue. Go ahead and see what you think. Let me know if you find issues. I built this thing yesterday, so it's definitely still going to need some tweaking, but let's give it a test run.

can we keep our current usernames?

Nauti Rogue
Dec 9, 2015, 10:19 PM
As long as no one registers with your username before you do, you can absolutely register on Swing-Bi.com with the same username you use here. Just don't expect any carry-over of posts or content. Swing-Bi.com and Bisexual.com are two totally separate and un-related sites that don't share any connection at all.

can we keep our current usernames?

Nauti Rogue
Dec 9, 2015, 10:20 PM
Sorry, Sysper. Our first registered user was ChicagoM.

me!!!! me!!!! :)

sysper
Dec 9, 2015, 11:48 PM
at least i'm in :bigrin:

bikurinpa
Dec 10, 2015, 5:36 AM

Hope to see it take off good. I already registered. One thing I like to see added is to make a zip a required field so a good member search of a mile radius of a zip code could b used to locate near members.

SC24FUN
Dec 10, 2015, 5:43 AM
Looks good so far. Works on my tablet. Got to find a smaller avitar file. Nothing that small on the tab.

Nauti Rogue
Dec 10, 2015, 8:06 AM
Done, BikurinPA! Thanks for the suggestion!

Hope to see it take off good. I already registered. One thing I like to see added is to make a zip a required field so a good member search of a mile radius of a zip code could b used to locate near members.

chicagom
Dec 10, 2015, 8:55 AM
I'm number 1........yay!!!!

guywholikesboth
Dec 10, 2015, 8:59 AM
registered got the email hope we have lots of members

bikurinpa
Dec 10, 2015, 10:03 AM
Tried to update my profile to ad a zip. Found no way to do. Nor a search. I am sure a search will come after get more members

wondering56231
Dec 10, 2015, 10:25 AM
No option to register as a bi couple?

Nauti Rogue
Dec 10, 2015, 11:05 AM
Click on your username in the top right corner of the forum window. Select User Control Panel. Click the Profile tab. From there, you can edit all of your profile information.

Tried to update my profile to ad a zip. Found no way to do. Nor a search. I am sure a search will come after get more members

Nauti Rogue
Dec 10, 2015, 1:43 PM
I'll see what I can do with this one!

No option to register as a bi couple?

cornholejoe
Dec 10, 2015, 6:45 PM
works pretty good for a new site

Nauti Rogue
Dec 16, 2015, 10:09 AM
http://Swing-Bi.com now has functional (I think) free chat. Please cruise on over, kick the tires, and check it out!

bikurinpa
Dec 16, 2015, 10:41 AM
I was able to log in! But no one else in room yet

Nauti Rogue
Dec 16, 2015, 10:57 AM
Yeah, the catch-22 of providing a chat function is that people actually have to log in and use it. ;)

It seems that a site with a free chat function is of priority around here. http://Swing-Bi.com has been built to your specs! Cum on over and check it out!

I was able to log in! But no one else in room yet

bikurinpa
Dec 16, 2015, 2:33 PM
I am sure it will grow. It just started, will take a while for word to get around about a new site. I am only giving the link for the site to serious bi people only and not to ones who just in these sites to B/S and play games with people.

Yeah, the catch-22 of providing a chat function is that people actually have to log in and use it. ;)

It seems that a site with a free chat function is of priority around here. http://Swing-Bi.com has been built to your specs! Cum on over and check it out!

welickit
Dec 16, 2015, 6:51 PM
We registered but I doubt we will ever log in. It isn't a secure site for registration or log in. Had we know that we would not have registered. Luckily our security software notified us.

Nauti Rogue
Dec 16, 2015, 9:04 PM
What do you mean that it's not secure? Was it Norton? Ironically, as the Admin of the site, my Norton gave me a Safe Surfing warning this afternoon, too. I started trying to research how to request a review from Norton because there is nothing that should be causing that warning except for the fact that it's an adult site. Regardless, as I researched, I noticed that Norton was now proclaiming the site to be safe. I'm not sure what's up with that.

Regardless, I hope you give us another try. I'm very sincerely, just a bi nerd hosting the site from a server in my basement.

If anyone else receives notices regarding the site being unsafe, please let me know so I can resolve any issue that there may be!

We registered but I doubt we will ever log in. It isn't a secure site for registration or log in. Had we know that we would not have registered. Luckily our security software notified us.

lizard-lix
Dec 17, 2015, 12:57 PM
What do you mean that it's not secure? Was it Norton? Ironically, as the Admin of the site, my Norton gave me a Safe Surfing warning this afternoon, too. I started trying to research how to request a review from Norton because there is nothing that should be causing that warning except for the fact that it's an adult site. Regardless, as I researched, I noticed that Norton was now proclaiming the site to be safe. I'm not sure what's up with that.
!

I think the simplest explanation is the it is not encrypted communication between the site and the users. (it's HTTP, not HTTPS). So someone could eavesdrop if they had the skills. BTW, this site has the same vulnerability.

Since it is running apache 2 on Ubuntu, you can turn on SSL (you might have to install OpenSSL), and secure the site. You'd need to put a redirect from the HTTP page root (port 80), to the HTTPS root (port 443) to make it automagic.

lizard-lix
Dec 17, 2015, 12:59 PM

Neither is this site...

Nauti Rogue
Dec 17, 2015, 8:58 PM
I'm not paying for an SSL cert. It's a free site. SSL certs from reputable CAs are at least $300 per year. I'm not making anything off of the site, so I'm not spending that kind of money on an annual basis.

The site has no financial transactions to encrypt. Anyone who registers gets full access to see anything posted. There is no need to encrypt the site's traffic. It would make no sense, whatsoever.

I think the simplest explanation is the it is not encrypted communication between the site and the users. (it's HTTP, not HTTPS). So someone could eavesdrop if they had the skills. BTW, this site has the same vulnerability.

Since it is running apache 2 on Ubuntu, you can turn on SSL (you might have to install OpenSSL), and secure the site. You'd need to put a redirect from the HTTP page root (port 80), to the HTTPS root (port 443) to make it automagic.

Grub Worm
Dec 18, 2015, 6:24 AM
i tried twice to sign up, never got a confirmation email,

lizard-lix
Dec 18, 2015, 7:24 AM
I'm not paying for an SSL cert. It's a free site. SSL certs from reputable CAs are at least $300 per year. I'm not making anything off of the site, so I'm not spending that kind of money on an annual basis.

The site has no financial transactions to encrypt. Anyone who registers gets full access to see anything posted. There is no need to encrypt the site's traffic. It would make no sense, whatsoever.

I understand and I agree, I was just saying why they got the notice. I have no problem with the site as it is, I think it's great! I'm using it as much as I am here and if more folks move over, I'll definitely spend even more time on your site.

But, you can do the certificate for free if you want to, Google 'Generating a self-signed certificate for Apache with OpenSSL.' It takes about 5 - 10 min and then all traffic will be encrypted, but some browsers will still bitch since there is no association with a Certificate Authority, but it will actually be more secure in some ways than a 'genuine' cert since most of the commercial CAs have been hacked for years (I do this stuff for work).

But yep, since the site is open, like this one, encrypting is pretty silly, but I was just addressing the comment about the site not being secure.

I was just giving the geekly answer :-)

Happy Friday!

Liz

lizard-lix
Dec 18, 2015, 7:25 AM

Look in your spam folder, the filters are mean lately

Nauti Rogue
Dec 18, 2015, 8:52 AM

Check your junk mail. Also, add admin@swing-bi.com to your white list/safe senders.

Nauti Rogue
Dec 18, 2015, 8:57 AM
I appreciate the thoughts, Liz. Yeah, the self-signed would encrypt, but you're right. Users would still get an error because the CA isn't trusted. Most users wouldn't understand the error and it would just be more trouble than it's worth.

I've already spent money for the chat utility on the free site. I'm not willing to spend more on a brand new site that may or may not take off.

Thanks for the "geekly" thoughts!

I understand and I agree, I was just saying why they got the notice. I have no problem with the site as it is, I think it's great! I'm using it as much as I am here and if more folks move over, I'll definitely spend even more time on your site.

But, you can do the certificate for free if you want to, Google 'Generating a self-signed certificate for Apache with OpenSSL.' It takes about 5 - 10 min and then all traffic will be encrypted, but some browsers will still bitch since there is no association with a Certificate Authority, but it will actually be more secure in some ways than a 'genuine' cert since most of the commercial CAs have been hacked for years (I do this stuff for work).

But yep, since the site is open, like this one, encrypting is pretty silly, but I was just addressing the comment about the site not being secure.

I was just giving the geekly answer :-)

Happy Friday!

Liz

lizard-lix
Dec 18, 2015, 9:28 AM
I appreciate the thoughts, Liz. Yeah, the self-signed would encrypt, but you're right. Users would still get an error because the CA isn't trusted. Most users wouldn't understand the error and it would just be more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks and I agree... Just about no one notices it here and if you are that worried about being out, then the Internet is NOT the place to play. It's pretty obvious that if anyone wants to find your shit, they will. Using an alias and misdirecting your location will stop the clueless, but for anyone with skills, there is no hiding.

I've already spent money for the chat utility on the free site. I'm not willing to spend more on a brand new site that may or may not take off.

Well you got a lot farther that I did, I put up a similar BB for a work related thing (oh yeah and phpBB is nicer than the MyBB that I used) and thought about doing what you have done, but I never got past that point, so THANKS for doing it! I'm definitely with ya on not spending more.

Thanks for the "geekly" thoughts!

Any time, grin!

Nauti Rogue
Dec 18, 2015, 7:01 PM
Just a **BUMP** here to mention that our chat utility is in place and it's completely functional. For those out here who are looking for chat, we've gotcha covered. We just need more of you to check us out so there's someone around to chat with!

Nauti Rogue
Dec 19, 2015, 8:13 AM
Bi the way, I just received the same Norton security warning by going to http://www.mensfitness.com/women/sex-tips/its-national-orgasm-day that I had previously received on Swing-Bi. I'm pretty sure that Men's Fitness is a safe site. I think that the warning I'm getting is a false positive.

...And now Norton is reporting the page to be safe, just as had happened with Swing-Bi.com.

I'd still like to know if anyone else is getting warnings on the site, but I'm thinking that it was a false positive that can be ignored.

havefun529
Dec 19, 2015, 9:28 AM
Hey here's an idea. Why don't buy AD space to get the word out about your broke ass site instead of TROLLING.

bikurinpa
Dec 19, 2015, 9:38 AM
I troll when I go to the lake fishing!!!

Hey here's an idea. Why don't buy AD space to get the word out about your broke ass site instead of TROLLING.

lizard-lix
Dec 19, 2015, 10:59 AM

This site is no longer being maintained (not even sure if you can even buy space here now if you wanted to), it's been mostly taken over by a true trolling asshole.

A good guy puts a out serious effort to set up a new, free, site and you bitch...

Great 'tude..

ALAbiguy
Dec 20, 2015, 8:12 AM

Maybe this? I believe they're offering free SSL cert's.
https://letsencrypt.org/

lizard-lix
Dec 20, 2015, 8:20 AM
Maybe this? I believe they're offering free SSL cert's.
https://letsencrypt.org/

Good point! I saw their presentation at DefCon and they are cool folks. Their goal is to provide good crypto to the whole Internet for free to promote privacy.

njfresh
Dec 20, 2015, 9:28 AM
Good point! I saw their presentation at DefCon and they are cool folks. Their goal is to provide good crypto to the whole Internet for free to promote privacy.

Pretty impressive group of sponsors.

void()
Dec 20, 2015, 10:54 AM
Re: encryption

You may also get web browser plugins/add-ons for free as an end user to use https which is secured and encrypted Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secured. http, is just plain old vanilla Hyper Text Transfer Protocol, no encryption or security at all. Here is one such add-on (http://mybrowseraddon.com/smart-https.html)

Here, another (https://rx4g.com/http-nowhere/) such add-on.

Ultimately in regard to security online, your safest bet is to not be online. Keep your private data, private. Most who operate online do so honorably and do a lot of "oh, darn, I forgot your account number, social security number ... you put it in for me?" As an example, helped on a job for a county courthouse. I secured an internal network so the dummy terminals could not crack or otherwise access the server, unless the server had it allowed. I gave the server a random set of numbers, letters as a password. I took it up to the guy overseeing the job for the courthouse. "I've already forgot that but as soon as we leave choose another password/key for your server, at least 16 characters long." He knew exactly what I had done and was highly appreciative.

If you're morally sound, ethical in doing stuff online you learn quickly to forget a lot, it is a virtue almost. To qualify, yes I am a hacker, been dubbed such by a very great hacker. I awaited another to dub me that, it is a moniker of honor. As a hacker, I do not want anyone's private or personal information. I have my own and it is all I need, want. To venture into forcibly attaining that information is to break honor, a sacred trust and to be a common cracker.

I am no cracker, never consciously will be. What I hack is computer programming to a degree. Even then, I'm just a guy piddling around and finding neat things. "Huh, code used to automate tractor part building can be used to automate chicken hatcheries, that's inteeeerrresting ..." or "Ha! Tighten JBL's code here to be more efficent, now my lights flicker ... better not tell JBL about flickering, give them something to figure out hehehe." "Ja, der lights der blinken! Ja Ja! Dumkoff swine, der lights no dey stop der blinken!"

sysper
Dec 20, 2015, 8:09 PM
is swing-bi.com down right now i can't logon

lizard-lix
Dec 21, 2015, 7:34 AM
Yep, it looks like it is down

Nauti Rogue
Dec 21, 2015, 2:57 PM
Sorry, folks. We're back up. I fat-fingered something in the firewall and didn't realize we were down.

lizard-lix
Dec 21, 2015, 3:02 PM
Thanks Nauti, back in!

sysper
Dec 21, 2015, 6:07 PM
cool thanks :)......glad it wasn't just me :D

Nauti Rogue
Dec 21, 2015, 8:30 PM
Just a few construction outages. No big deal. You just have to pardon our dust as we develop things to make a cool new spot for all of us!

pepperjack
Dec 21, 2015, 8:39 PM
Been keeping an eye on it & yes, it appears to be developing nicely.

PamelaBiPantyboy
Dec 22, 2015, 3:35 PM
Hi , Glad to be here; Hoping for good things

SC24FUN
Dec 23, 2015, 7:03 AM
We have been enjoying the site. Very good so far and don't forsee any problems.

Nauti Rogue
Dec 26, 2015, 5:54 PM
Thanks everyone for giving us the kick-the-tires checkout. Things are definitely developing on Swing-Bi. I'm pleased with the way it's turning out.

All we need for a true community is for people to register! We have an incredible chat function, but we need people to be there to chat!

Bisexual.com is an established site. It's got a HUGE following. I appreciate and respect that, but it's adrift. I'm not trying to force my way in here and take over... There's no one here to try to displace! I created Swing-Bi.com to fill a niche that is left empty by the passing of Bisexual.com's administrator.

Come on over and check us out. I think you'll like what you find at http://Swing-Bi.com!

pepperjack
Dec 26, 2015, 7:15 PM
Appreciate your efforts there, Nauti. You're obviously making improvements almost daily. And yes, you've got a good, diverse chat function created but like you said, people need to use it. I've had one brief chat there since joining. Other than that, it's been devoid of members although you seem to be gaining new ones also at a daily rate. I just don't get people sometimes. I've seen so much complaining on here when chat goes down but when someone comes along & provides a viable solution, very few go for it. Is it that people just inherently like to complain & are resistant to change? :rolleyes:

lizard-lix
Dec 28, 2015, 8:48 AM
Please add my thanks too Nauti! I know how much time and effort this takes. The results are great and I really appreciate your making this effort to give us a great new playspace!

Liz

DrBimind
Dec 28, 2015, 9:09 AM
Yep signed up there and like it so far...hope peeps that wanna chat check it out as right now nobody seems to wanna chat...oh well...

Boats
Dec 28, 2015, 10:02 AM
Tried signing up and after putting code in I tried to register all it says ins " All spaces with * must be completed, and they were

Nauti Rogue
Dec 29, 2015, 3:21 PM
Not sure what that problem would be, Boats. It seems to be working, as we've had a registration today. Give it another try and let me know if you still have troubles.

Tried signing up and after putting code in I tried to register all it says ins " All spaces with * must be completed, and they were

Nauti Rogue
Jan 3, 2016, 11:27 AM
Swing-Bi.com continues to grow and develop. The chat function is perfect, and we've added user groups.

Come on over and check us out!

lizard-lix
Jan 5, 2016, 9:04 AM
Thanks again, Nauti! Swing-bi is getting more active and even better bi the day!

Nauti Rogue
Jan 9, 2016, 1:42 PM
You're welcome, Liz! Thanks for the support!

We're looking forward to Swing-Bi gaining membership and activity, but we need everyone here to check us out!

http://swing-bi.com/files/forumimages/swing-bi_logo.png (http://swing-bi.com)

Thanks again, Nauti! Swing-bi is getting more active and even better bi the day!

sysper
Jan 13, 2016, 11:39 PM
is swing-bi.com allright? it's been closed for maintenance for many hours. hope nauti is ok!

Nauti Rogue
Jan 16, 2016, 6:41 AM
Everything's good. I was just in the middle of a forum upgrade WHEN MY LAPTOP GOT STOLEN!!! (Not kidding. I went started to upload the upgrade to the server, went to the bathroom, and when I got back, the laptop was gone.)

So, I've reverted to the backup and we're off and running again. I'll apply the upgrade to the forum software when I get back home next week. Regardless, Swing-Bi is fine.

Cum on over and give us a try!

sailfish
Jan 16, 2016, 1:16 PM
Everything's good. I was just in the middle of a forum upgrade WHEN MY LAPTOP GOT STOLEN!!! (Not kidding. I went started to upload the upgrade to the server, went to the bathroom, and when I got back, the laptop was gone.)

So, I've reverted to the backup and we're off and running again. I'll apply the upgrade to the forum software when I get back home next week. Regardless, Swing-Bi is fine.

Cum on over and give us a try!

Let's hope you used whole disk encryption on your stolen laptop.

monaohio
Jan 17, 2016, 11:01 AM
how com the site not talking my email address it comes up invaild when i click submit

Nauti Rogue
Jan 17, 2016, 8:00 PM
No worries. Yes, the disk was encrypted.

Let's hope you used whole disk encryption on your stolen laptop.

Nauti Rogue
Jan 17, 2016, 8:04 PM
Monaohio, the site registration has worked for hundreds of other users. Your post here has typos in it. I can only assume that you must have had typos in your registration. Please try again and check your information for accuracy and spelling errors. The system is working for everyone else. Please just make sure your information is correct.

monaohio
Jan 17, 2016, 8:07 PM
it is it just won't take my email address

Nauti Rogue
Jan 17, 2016, 8:22 PM
MonaOhio,

I have taken the liberty of creating an account for you on Swing-Bi.com with your Bisexual.com username of MonaOhio using the email address that you gave me. I had logged out as Swing-Bi Admin and I created your account in EXACTLY the same way that you would have had to have done it.

You will have to click the activation link that you will receive in your email to activate the account. (Check your junk mail if you don't see it in your inbox.)

Mona, I created the account using the email address you gave me. I had no issue with it being reported as invalid.

Your account is created. You have an email with an activation link. It's up to you to click the link and activate your account.

Once you post three posts to the forum and are no longer a Newly Registered Member, you should edit your profile to complete the information I did not have for you.

it is it just won't take my email address

Nauti Rogue
Feb 6, 2016, 8:41 AM
Hey, everyone! We're starting a weekly chat session on http://Swing-Bi.com. Swing-Bi every Sunday night at 9:00 PM Eastern time to get to know everyone!

And since tomorrow is the Super Bowl, feel free to log in during the game to discuss what's happening and the fun commercials.

Orlando157
Feb 6, 2016, 3:21 PM
http://Swing-Bi.com .............. figured a bump was due - Stop over and say hello !!!!!!!!!!!!

tenni
Feb 29, 2016, 6:50 PM
I thought that I would try to bump this site back up on the Titanic here...:(

What is going on at this site? Without going inside and joining, I see that new members are signing up nearly daily or a couple of people daily.

There seems to be an active humour thread section mostly by the owner of the site. Refrence topic connected to LGBLT do not seem to have any new post since Feb. 18th.

Are some threads not visible from the "street" public area?

tenni
Feb 29, 2016, 6:51 PM
I thought that I would try to bump this site back up on the Titanic here...:(

Swing-bi.com

What is going on at this site? Without going inside and joining, I see that new members are signing up nearly daily or a couple of people daily.

There seems to be an active humour thread section mostly by the owner of the site. Refrence topic connected to LGBLT do not seem to have any new post since Feb. 18th.

Are some threads not visible from the "street" public area?