PDA

View Full Version : End of an era….Goodbye Dave Letterman

12voltyV2.0
May 21, 2015, 1:44 AM
Got to say----I am feeling bummed, after 33 years of having his late night show in some form and on two networks, tonight was the final edition of "Late Night With DDDDDDDDAAAAAAVVVVVIIIIIIIIDDD LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTEEEEEE RRRRRRMMMMMAAAAAANNNNN!!!

I know that Letterman was not everyone's cup of tea, but I have been a long time "fan" of Dave's all the way back to when he was a gonzo local weatherman on a television station back in Indianapolis, Indiana in the late 1970's.

Along with the recent passing of one of my most favorite musicians, the Blues great BB King, I am feeling a slight bit down.

Of course, as the old saying goes: "All good things must come to pass" so Letterman's retirement was one of those things that had to take place at some point and with BB King, he was in his upper 80s, he had left the road and the stage a few years back due to health issues, so it was not a big surprise he had passed. but still a bummer nonetheless.

I think that one thing is probably clear, I dare say that none of the current crop of late night talk show hosts, including Steve Colbert who will take over for Letterman, will have a career hosting their shows for anything near 33 years.

With Leno already having left the stage and now Letterman, the direct link they had with Carson and those before him has now been severed.

It surely is the end of a long running era with Dave's retirement.

I will miss David Letterman as it is obvious that many others will as well. There surely was a huge outpouring of emotion from the guests that Dave has had on his show the past month or so that they will miss Dave and his sardonic wit.

Goodbye Dave!!

pole_smoker
May 21, 2015, 3:32 AM
Letterman is perhaps the most overrated comedian ever. Conan is a lot more hilarious, and actually original unlike Letterman.

tenni
May 21, 2015, 7:46 AM
https://youtu.be/2tKhr5Ujbd4

Realist
May 21, 2015, 8:02 AM
Volty, The Thrill is gone! I, too, enjoyed BB, Louie Armstrong , Muddy Waters, etc, etc.

Letterman, Carson, Leno, Jack Paar, Steve Allen...............we probably won't ever see their likes again.

Things change, some for the better/some worse, but I can't see any of the present night show hosts having the appeal those above did.

But, who's gonna replace those great old musicians?

Browne
May 21, 2015, 8:02 AM
"Uh huh....hehe....WOW....ahhhh.....okay.....hmmm....P aul?" ~ David Letterman

------

charles-smythe
May 21, 2015, 8:43 AM
…I’ve probably only watch him a half a dozen times so I doubt I’ll miss him…

cornholejoe
May 21, 2015, 1:26 PM
nothing ever lasts forever

cuttin2dachase
May 21, 2015, 5:14 PM
I was a big fan of Johnny Carson and the Tonight Show back in the day and lost interest in the late-night show genre when he retired. Over the years I have watched bits & pieces of Letterman and some of the others while channel surfing. I think that Letterman is, by far, the best of the rest of the talk show hosts to come along since Johnny Carson.

hudson9
May 21, 2015, 7:50 PM
Letterman changed what late-night talk shows were. Everybody that's come after has been influenced by him (as they all admit!) and owes him for opening the form up.

charles-smythe
May 21, 2015, 9:19 PM
…I’m so old I can remember when all the TV stations went off at 10 o’clock…& the later night shows like Letterman or whoever were on during the day while kids were in school or taking a nap….

onewhocares
May 21, 2015, 11:10 PM
I am commenting on this thread, when I, who can not sleep for love nor money, fell asleep at about eleven when the local news was coming on. I will say that I was a die heart Johnny Carson fan and was skeptical when David Letterman came to fill in his time slot....because NO ONE could take Johnny's place. David was Smart, Funny, Subtle, so engaging, that even I liked him. Many was the night over the last years when I could not sleep...a malady which haunts me., I chose to peak in on Letterman. O, some of the times I may not have understood it all, but it was fun.

I wish David a time of quiet time off, then want him to come back with a vengeance.

Belle

pole_smoker
May 22, 2015, 1:35 AM
http://38.media.tumblr.com/006adc10156d300f3df63492ec35f39b/tumblr_nmltaf96jd1s4eldpo5_500.gif

jem_is_bi
May 22, 2015, 5:53 AM
http://38.media.tumblr.com/006adc10156d300f3df63492ec35f39b/tumblr_nmltaf96jd1s4eldpo5_500.gif
It is not necessary to remind us you are a dick.