PDA

View Full Version : Bisexual Network of Arizona Hosts 5th Annual Men's Conference

glantern954
Aug 12, 2006, 4:21 PM
PRESS RELEASE
July 17, 2006
For Immediate Release

MEN'S CONFERENCE SCHEDULED FOR PHOENIX
OCTOBER 20-22, 2006

(Phoenix, AZ) - Phoenix will be the site of the 5th ANNUAL MEN'S CONFERENCE, scheduled for October 20-22, 2006 at the Clarendon Hotel and Suites. This three-day weekend is hosted by the Bisexual Network of Arizona and the Bisexual Foundation, both organizations having been founded in 1993 to educate the public about bisexuality.

The 5th Annual Men's Conference will offer approximately 8-12 workshops, small discussion groups and panel discussions. Previous conferences have covered themes including: Coming Out, Safer Sex, Relationships, Spirituality, Sexual Identity, Health and Tantric Sex. Past conferences have been highly successful, drawing men of diverse backgrounds and various sexual orientations and gender identities for an informative and fun weekend.

The late Dr. Fritz Klein, best known for his pioneering sex research and the development of the multi-dimensional Klein Sexual Orientation Grid (KSOG), determined that human sexuality is far more complex than simply being straight or gay. Many people fall between the two ends of the spectrum. His research showed that there are at least seven variables to sexual orientation including sexual attraction, emotional preference, lifestyle and self-identification. This conference was created by Dr. Klein in 2000 to address the concerns of men who develop physical or emotional attractions to both men and women.

As with previous events, all men are welcome, including those identifying as gay, straight, bisexual, queer, questioning or trans-men and in various types of relationships. This unique environment allows men to gather in a safe, supportive environment to explore all of the various topics affecting human sexuality.

The conference will open with a Friday night reception at the Clarendon Hotel and Suites. Saturday's activities include conference workshops, networking opportunities, dinner, as well as time to explore the Phoenix LGBT night life with other members of the conference and local host organizations. Sunday's activities include a closing session and optional local activities in the afternoon.

For more information and to register for the 5th Annual Men's Conference:

http://www.bisexual.org/MCB or http://www.binetaz.org

email: 5MCB@binetaz.org

BiNetAZ BiLine 602-280-9074

:male:

Gemini25
Aug 13, 2006, 2:30 PM
I've periodically been checking this site (Bisexual Network of Arizona 5th Annual Men's Conference) to see what kind of topics they are going to discuss, and to get more information about the event to make a better decision on if I want or should go to it or not, and all the information that is available is "In Previous Events" and when I go to check the schedule of topics to be discussed they are all "TBD". How are we supposed to make a decision on whether we want to spend our time and money on an event like this if there is NO information to go by? It’s really confusing and frustrating.

If anyone has more information on this please let me know.

glantern954
Aug 13, 2006, 2:39 PM
I hear ya, I have been doing the same thing.

I've periodically been checking this site (Bisexual Network of Arizona 5th Annual Men's Conference) to see what kind of topics they are going to discuss, and to get more information about the event to make a better decision on if I want or should go to it or not, and all the information that is available is "In Previous Events" and when I go to check the schedule of topics to be discussed they are all "TBD". How are we supposed to make a decision on whether we want to spend our time and money on an event like this if there is NO information to go by? It’s really confusing and frustrating.

If anyone has more information on this please let me know.

Driver 8
Aug 13, 2006, 2:59 PM
This seems to me to be a problem that a number of GLBT organizations have - I don't know if the volunteers are just half-assed about the whole thing, or if they're desperately understaffed and don't have time to get the info out, or if they know that most people will come no matter what because there are so few of these things, or what. (Probably different combinations of factors for different groups.) I've been seeing this for as long as I've been involved in GLBT issues, which is well over fifteen years now.

Over on the G and L side of things, you're seeing more trained organizers, whether because they're experienced or because they're paid - but I don't think the B and T have caught up yet.

(As always, just my impression, maybe things aren't as bad as they seem to me, et cetera.)

Gemini25
Aug 16, 2006, 9:29 PM
Hey All, I just received an email today about this topic and thought I should share:

5th Annual Men's Conference Call for Presentations (deadline Sept. 15th, 2006).

The 5th Men's Conference will take place in Phoenix, Arizona on Oct.20th-22nd, 2006.

They are currently seeking proposals for presentations, panel discussions, performances, and workshops in the following subject tracks:

Coming Out
Sexuality
Relationships
Culture
Daily Living
Spirituality
Identity/Attraction
Health
Special Interest

Please follow the format of the proposal submission guidelines below. The deadline for proposals is Sept. 15, 2006. Send completed forms via e-mail to Alexei_Guren@msn.com and include: "ATTN: MC PAPERS" in the subject line.

Alternatively, send them to:

Alexei Guren
5316 N Via La Doncella
Tucson, AZ 85750

Further information about the conference can be found at:
http://www.bisexual.org/MCB/default.asp

Proposal Submission Guidelines:

Session proposals should be submitted as described below.

* General Information
Title of presentation:
Intended audience:
Description for conference brochure (25 to 50 words):

* Submitter Information
Name:
Title and affiliation:
Address:
Phone (day and evening):
E-mail:
Background:

* Other Presenter(s) Information
Name:
Title and affiliation:

Address:
Phone (day and evening):
E-mail:
Background:

* Content Information
Format (panel, workshop, etc.):
Outline:

Send completed forms via e-mail to Alexei_Guren@msn.com and include: "ATTN: MC PAPERS" in the subject line.

http://www.biresource.org/index.php?p=487

prettycolors
Aug 16, 2006, 10:00 PM
I wonder why is it only a men's conference??

Brian
Aug 17, 2006, 11:09 AM
I wonder why is it only a men's conference?? The same group running the conference, The Bisexual Foundation, is a key player in the national and international (mixed) bi conferences. But I think there are some advantages to having some one-gender conferences as well. Each gender has it's own angle on bisexuality and a one-gender conference can help provide focus on those specific issues that a mixed-gender conference can't.

So that begs the question... where are the female-only bi conferences? Why aren't there more of them?

- Drew :paw:

glantern954
Aug 17, 2006, 12:12 PM
I wonder why is it only a men's conference??

The group I attend almost always has many more men show up than women. Maybe their is not enough interest? Its not like they don't have conferences open to all too.

I bet you could always propose to host a presentation like relationships with bi women 101 and get accepted to present.

Driver 8
Aug 17, 2006, 1:53 PM
Weirdly, what I've historically seen in the bi movement is the opposite - organizers and activists are predominantly women, and you even get the occasional "Where are all the men?" comment. I've always chalked this up to bi women (of my generation and earlier, at least) coming out through, and then leaving, the highly politicized lesbian community - whereas the gay and bi men are age were more likely to be partying. (Yes, I realize this is a huge generalization, with lots of individual exceptions.) My impression was that some of the bi-men-only groups were started in the hopes of fostering men's activism.

AIDS obviously changed that split a lot, and it seems as though I see a lot more men represented among younger bi activists, so maybe things are changing. Also, what I was seeing might have been limited to the Midwest - as far as I can remember, all the groups in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, and Kentucky were headed by women at one time, and that may have made other women more likely to join.

prettycolors
Aug 17, 2006, 5:38 PM
The group I attend almost always has many more men show up than women. Maybe their is not enough interest? Its not like they don't have conferences open to all too.

I bet you could always propose to host a presentation like relationships with bi women 101 and get accepted to present.

Yeah, like I know anything about it :-(