PDA

View Full Version : AOL users: do you get Gateway Timeout errors (504) on this site?

Brian
Aug 4, 2006, 2:25 PM
The last two months I have been getting a surprising number of emails from AOL users saying that they sometimes get "504 Gateway Timeout Errors" on this site and my other site. I can't simulate the errors because I don't have an AOL account, and my attempt to re-sign-up with AOL was declined (maybe because when I cancelled a year ago I told them to get bent).

Any AOL users getting that error on this site lately. If so I would appreciate any information you can supply:
- are you getting the error sometimes?
- if so, is it always on the same pages, or is it hit and miss and moves around from page to page; so sometimes a given page loads fine, and sometimes it doesn't?
- if it is the same pages always, can you send me the URLs.
- What version of AOL are you using, 9?, 8? earlier? Hi-speed or dial-up?

Feel free to post what info you can in this thread or email me through the Contact Us form: http://main.bisexual.com/forum/sendmessage.php

Thanks in advance for any info.

- Drew :paw:

wtp09
Aug 4, 2006, 2:56 PM
hmmmm. ok this may or may not be related. i keep getting logged out of this site intermitantly.

Brian
Aug 5, 2006, 8:15 PM
hmmmm. ok this may or may not be related. i keep getting logged out of this site intermitantly. I think that is covered by the below FAQ item, it's because of the way that AOL routes some folks through proxies, and you should select "Remember Me" option when you log in to fix that problem. That goes for anyone who finds themselves having to log in constantly.

FAQ: "Does This Site Use Cookies?": http://main.bisexual.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_user_maintain#faq_vb_use_cookies

Any AOL users getting that 504 error?

taz67156
Aug 5, 2006, 8:49 PM
anyone getting the error 504 code here is what it is 504 Gateway Timeout The server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, did not receive a timely response from the upstream server specified by the Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) (for example, HTTP, FTP, LDAP) or some other auxiliary server (for example, DNS) that it needed to access to complete the request. [HTTP/1.1]

Gemini25
Aug 6, 2006, 5:10 PM
I get this happening if I go to respond to a thread, go to look at a profile, go to look at pictures, go to quote a thread, just about everything. It's really frustrating. But for me it's only been happening for about a week now. Any suggestions on how to fix it? Please Advise.

Thanks

taz67156
Aug 7, 2006, 2:09 AM
anybody that is having problems on here with other things try what Drew said and check the faq or if you don't want to do that then try clearing several files like cookies,history and temp ie and then retry the place you was having problems.

taz67156

bigregory
Aug 7, 2006, 2:58 AM
I got rid of cookies now AOL(get bent is a nice way to say it Drew) now the site works fine.Im not very happy with AOL an i think i will go elsewere soon. :(

taz67156
Aug 7, 2006, 3:48 AM
I'm glad it worked for you bigregory and anyone else that is having problems try the samething and still report any problems to drew unless its in the faq first cause there is ways to fix things already for the site there.

taz67156

Brian
Aug 7, 2006, 4:03 AM
I get this happening if I go to respond to a thread, go to look at a profile, go to look at pictures, go to quote a thread, just about everything. It's really frustrating. But for me it's only been happening for about a week now. Any suggestions on how to fix it? Please Advise.

Thanks Thanks for the info Gemini. You could try calling AOL and see what they have to say, if you are comfortable doing that. I'll keep trying to find out something on this end.

zarine
Aug 7, 2006, 4:25 AM
i am using AOL 9.0 SE. at first i would have the gateway error problem when trying to post on forum threads. then it got to where i couldn't even look at the main forum page but i could look at the newest threads and posts. then i eventually started receiving the message for a lot of other pages and it gradually became worse and worse until i couldn't even get to the home page! so i tried using internet explorer to get to the site and haven't had any problems at all!

Brian
Aug 7, 2006, 11:40 AM
Well, both Zarine and Gemini are basically describing what other AOL folks have been describing to me over the last 6 weeks or so. Very bloody strange. So it must be an AOL browser thing rather than an AOL gateway/connection thing, since when the AOL user switches to IE everything is cool.

Okay, thanks for the info thus far everyone. Keep it coming.

strawberry8302
Aug 7, 2006, 7:35 PM
OMG, FINALLY!!!! A POST ABOUT THIS STUPID CRAP!!!! This junk gets on my nerves, it happens to me alot! I'm an aol user, and it happens mostly when I want to reply to a message or post something on a thread. But it does happen when I'm looking at other ppl's profiles, too. Drew, puhleeeze help us with this problem... It's soooo annoying...

Brian
Aug 7, 2006, 8:12 PM
Taz sent me this (Thanks Taz!) AOL information page which seems to be relevant:

http://help.aol.com/AIMhelp/dynamickc.do?externalId=http--helpchannelsaolcom-kjumpadparticleId219066&sliceId=&command=show&forward=nonthreadedKC&kcId=http--helpchannelsaolcom-kjumpadparticleId219066

It might be helpul. It recommends in these case that AOL members run this thing "AOL® AutoFix" and if necessary "Rebuild the AOL® Adapter". I can't test these because I am not an AOL member. But maybe one or more you folks could give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Strawberry8302, Did this just recently start happening for you? You've been a member since our first month. Has it been happening off and on all along, or just recently?

ps. Thx again Taz for the help and research!!!

taz67156
Aug 7, 2006, 8:22 PM
your welcome Drew, I hope everyone with AOL runs the program cause it will do some good when I saw the forum about the problem I knew that I could find a way to fix that error and I spent about two days digging around on aol to find what is needed lol

taz67156

P.S. it helps when I have a brother that is a computer tech lol but all the work this time was on my own:) good luck and plz keep the posts going about it

taz67156
Aug 31, 2006, 12:26 AM
hey everyone,
I just thought I would check and see if people with aol got a chance to run the programs and if their are more problems plz post them.

thanks,
taz67156

Brian
Sep 1, 2006, 12:26 PM
An update...

My emails to AOL tech support about this are going unanswerred, maybe because I am not an AOL member.

Member Bigregory contacted AOL about this, because he is an AOL member, and they basically gave him the procedure Taz references and which I link to in post 13 (http://main.bisexual.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25709&postcount=13), so like Taz I am curious if that fix is working for folks.

Let us all know if anyone has any additional info/experience with this issue.

FlaPlaya561
Sep 1, 2006, 8:13 PM
AOL is just horror stories!

12voltman59
Sep 2, 2006, 12:39 AM
As I have said before--I had been with AOL for a long time but recently did away with their service when I made my recent move--I had experienced a number of problems on her when I had AOL and always just assumed it was problems endemic to this site---I also had many other problems with my computer in general--

Once I got rid of AOL and deinstalled all of the stuff their system puts on a computer--my experience online in general and here specifically have become so much better--so is my general overall experience with computing--most of the troubles I had experienced with my computer disappeared once I got rid of AOL--

I had resisted dumping AOL since I had used their addresses for so long I did not want to lose them--but now that AOL now allows both former users to keep their addresses and also allows new users to establish an AOL email account like Yahoo or Hotmail--there is no sense in keeping them in my book..

becksbolero
Sep 2, 2006, 8:50 AM
Go on any of the computer tech forums and they'll tell you how bad AOL is for sucking resources and adding malware,etc.

bigregory
Sep 4, 2006, 10:12 PM
Taz sent me this (Thanks Taz!) AOL information page which seems to be relevant:

http://help.aol.com/AIMhelp/dynamickc.do?externalId=http--helpchannelsaolcom-kjumpadparticleId219066&sliceId=&command=show&forward=nonthreadedKC&kcId=http--helpchannelsaolcom-kjumpadparticleId219066

It might be helpul. It recommends in these case that AOL members run this thing "AOL® AutoFix" and if necessary "Rebuild the AOL® Adapter". I can't test these because I am not an AOL member. But maybe one or more you folks could give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Strawberry8302, Did this just recently start happening for you? You've been a member since our first month. Has it been happening off and on all along, or just recently?

ps. Thx again Taz for the help and research!!!
This link works great.
The "rebuild the aol adapter" was the fix that worked for me.
Posts and things that before i could not read before are now working great.
Thanks Taz :tongue:

Sign-off aol when you do it or the screen/page you need will not appear.Then reboot when you are done

taz67156
Sep 7, 2006, 1:51 PM
I'm glad to hear that it worked well for you bigregory :)

brandie
Sep 7, 2006, 2:17 PM
i have been getting timed out every time i am in your chat.i have bellsouth.net,they are owned by aol.it always happens in the chat and nowhere else.i do have their hi speed.

Brian
Sep 7, 2006, 10:51 PM
i have been getting timed out every time i am in your chat.i have bellsouth.net,they are owned by aol.it always happens in the chat and nowhere else.i do have their hi speed. Can you be more specific Brandie, what do you mean by "getting timed out"?

The chat is supposed to be firewall-proof but you might want to adjust your firewall settings. And this is of course assuming you have already confirmed that your Java installation is up-to-date: www.java.com

Also, if by "timed out" you mean logged out, then you probably need to use the Remember Me feature when logging in. More info on that in the FAQ for cookies (http://main.bisexual.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_user_maintain#faq_vb_use_cookies).

cabooseme2
Sep 25, 2006, 12:25 PM
AOL EVIEL EVIEL EVIEL get rid of it I had so many problems with aol logging on to certian pages inplanted tracking crap and stuff since i got rid of aol had very few problems I use fire fox on earthlink now the only thing with fire fox you cant logg on to some pages and then i ues E expolrer .

deletetacount123
Sep 26, 2006, 12:32 AM
AOL EVIEL EVIEL EVIEL get rid of it I had so many problems with aol logging on to certian pages inplanted tracking crap and stuff since i got rid of aol had very few problems I use fire fox on earthlink now the only thing with fire fox you cant logg on to some pages and then i ues E expolrer .

Cab, I use FireFox too... I have noticed sometimes FireFox crashs for no reason and all Im doing was browsing sites Ive been on before and nothing happened. Does it crash on you sometimes too??

Tasha

Brian
Oct 24, 2006, 3:29 PM
Bump.

I continue to get emails on a semi-regular basis from AOL members describing this problem and a similar problem where pages load very slowly and incompletely. So I have created a FAQ item for this, linking to the fix which AOL describes for the issue. I'm not sure why some AOL users only experience the problem on my sites.

The FAQ item is here: http://main.bisexual.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_aol_gateway_issue

taz67156
Oct 25, 2006, 2:39 PM
hey everyone I see that we are still having problems with the error code 504 and I went to aol last night and got live help about it so here is what they said to do and that it will fix the problem.

Click the AOL icon in your Tray (i.e. lower right corner of your screen). In the menu that displays, click SYSTEM INFORMATION. If a Caution box appears, click OK to continue.
On the UTILITIES tab, next to WINDOWS ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE, click OPEN. Select AOL CONNECTIVITY SERVICES, then click CHANGE/REMOVE.
Select REPAIR AOL CONNECTIVITY SERVICES, then click OK.

please let me know if it works or if their are more problems so I can go back and get more help with it.

Thanks,
TAZ67156

miamiuu
Oct 25, 2006, 6:25 PM
The only thing that I have noticed is when ever i try to enter the chat for the first time my firefox browser freezes. After it freezes and I close it, and i reload firefox again it allows me in the chatroom.

Brian
Oct 25, 2006, 11:57 PM
:banghead: lol

Another request for information from those of you running AOL 9.0, if we have any members left who use it...

What happens when you try to visit these pages:
A. http://main.bisexual.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79
B. http://www.cyberwurx.com
C. http://www.threepillows.com/ccbill/index.htm
Do the pages load fast or slow or not at all? (if not at all do you get the 502 error or something else) And do you get broken images on any of the pages?

You can label your results A, B and C to make it easier when posting a reply.

Thanks in advance for any help.

AOL 9.0 users only please.

Brian
Nov 6, 2006, 2:14 PM
Glory be and hallelujah!!! We have the AOL 8.0 and 9.0 problem solved!

Welcome back AOL members!

If you are still seeing broken images and very slow loading pages you may need to empty your cache for the changes we made to take effect for you, here is the procedure in Windows:

Click on the Windows Start button > All Programs > AOL > AOL System Information > then click on the Utilities tab > then click on Clear Browser Cache (the cache size should change to "0"), then on the same screen click Rebuild AOL Adaptor. Then start AOL 8.0 or 9.0.

That's it - all our pages should be fine after that. AOL Openride users, for whatever reason, the problem was not affecting you as near as we could tell.

[To print these instructions: click on Thread Tools > Show Printable Version]

I can't share what the problem was because it has to with server security - but it is fixed! This was by far the most challenging internet technical problem I have ever been involved with - one for the ages. It took three months to finally peel back all the layers of the onion and get to the source.

I'm going to celebrate by spending a good part of my afternoon at a bookstore with a coffee just relaxing!!! I'm back baby!!!

Doggie_Wood
Nov 6, 2006, 6:45 PM
Go on any of the computer tech forums and they'll tell you how bad AOL is for sucking resources and adding malware,etc.

And since AOL is proported to be "the largest ISP" - I have heard that AOL is in bed with big brother :eek2: (and has been for many years). :eek:

I don't know - I'm just a dumb, plain citizen.

:doggie: