PDA

View Full Version : How nice would the world be...

Qetesh
Aug 3, 2006, 5:37 AM
without this sort of attitude!

My grandmother came to stay with me recently and she was telling me that a guy I used to know back home has moved and works with children, she then went on to say that he had come out as gay. Then she said its a bit strange, you have to wonder, should he really be allowed to work with children. :eek: I nearly ripped her head off, one of her sons is gay and she still has that attitude.
In fact the last time I saw my uncle (the gay one) we both stayed with her, I was using her bathroom so my uncle could use the master bathroom in the mornings. When he left I went to go to the bathroom, she yelled up the stair for me not to use the master bathroom until she's cleaned it thoroughly with bleach. I was gobsmacked, I had to point out that if my uncle had AIDS he'd have told her and you cant catch it by using the same bathroom!

How much nicer would the world be without that sort of attitude?

Q x

TashaSW
Aug 3, 2006, 9:57 AM
ya, some people have really stupid attitudes :-(
Some poeple seem to forget gays are not the only people who can get aids.... even straight people can.

My town has NO respect for deaf people. Sooo gays aren't the only ones who has to put up with stupid attitudes of others. Also handicaps, people of different race, illness..... The world would be a lot better if everyone just got along!!!

The best we can do is just ignore the bad attitude people.

Tasha

Herbwoman39
Aug 3, 2006, 10:13 AM
Attitudes like that are born out of ignorance. Sadly, your Grandma only knows what she's seen and heard on TV and in society.

It's up to us to grit our teeth, take a deep breath and *educate* that ignorance. If we don't take that action, these people will continue to have attitudes that are damaging to us.

ophelia_in_red
Aug 3, 2006, 10:25 AM
It's up to us to grit our teeth, take a deep breath and *educate* that ignorance. If we don't take that action, these people will continue to have attitudes that are damaging to us.
The problem with education about this kind of thing is that it doesn't work! :P If you have people who are already racist, homophobic etc., and you teach them more about other races or non-heterosexuals, unfortunately they are liable to twist whatever you tell them against those people. A case in point: the more I learn about racists, the less I like them!

I think the only way to change unpleasant attitudes towards gay people, black people, deaf people - any group of people, in fact, whom you care to mention - is to change the fundamental principles on which these people's attitudes rest. Change people's ridiculous adherence to anachronistic religious and social norms, and their fear of the unfamiliar, and you can change the world!

(Hm, that last sentence wasn't as snappy as it sounded in my head.. ;))

TashaSW
Aug 3, 2006, 10:36 AM
I HATE the Walmart here.
You would think being hired and worked at the Walmart you used to live in would get you a job in your new prov/town right??
Wrong.... I could see it in the hiring manager's eyes.... she had just a bad attitude towards me..... I tried to apply 5 times!! The last time I turned in time to lip read her to another person "im not hiring deaf people."

So, I refuse to shop at Walmart here... I tell other people not to either cause it has junk and bad attitude people in there :-) hehe
I had personally wanted to set up a meeting with that hiring manager to find out WHY she has a problem with me... but my ex told me not to attack her. (I just wanna know why lol)
I think I have the right to know!! lol Oh well, maybe it just means Im not suppose to be working at Walmart here. :-)

Tasha

jedinudist
Aug 3, 2006, 1:30 PM
I HATE the Walmart here.
You would think being hired and worked at the Walmart you used to live in would get you a job in your new prov/town right??
Wrong.... I could see it in the hiring manager's eyes.... she had just a bad attitude towards me..... I tried to apply 5 times!! The last time I turned in time to lip read her to another person "im not hiring deaf people."

So, I refuse to shop at Walmart here... I tell other people not to either cause it has junk and bad attitude people in there :-) hehe
I had personally wanted to set up a meeting with that hiring manager to find out WHY she has a problem with me... but my ex told me not to attack her. (I just wanna know why lol)
I think I have the right to know!! lol Oh well, maybe it just means Im not suppose to be working at Walmart here. :-)

Tasha

I wish there was a way you could prove that was said - violation of ADA - and you could nail her to the damned wall.

Diane54
Aug 3, 2006, 9:41 PM
The Crappy attitudes born of ignorance ar perpetuated by those who refuse to learn the truth.
Ophelia said it correctly when she put the blame on anachronistic fundamental religious teaching. That vile venom gets spewed from the pulpet of almost every fundamenta Christian church. They don't care that it is not true. :soapbox: