PDA

View Full Version : Bisexual Characters populate new Showtime series: Penny Dreadful

12voltyV2.0
Jun 14, 2014, 9:34 AM
For anyone who has not seen this new Showtime Series, it is pretty cool as far as I am concerned.

The producers mix a cast of the show's own fictional characters with fictional characters from English literature such as Dr. Frankenstein and his "monster", Dorian Gray, Dracula and Professor Van Helsing--remaking them into some very cool characters. The show also grittily depicts Victorian era London in all its gray, nasty self where people attend seances, theater with a gory theme and "gentleman" who bet upon rat terriers ripping up hundreds of rats in pits.

Most of the characters are bisexual that include, "Vanessa," Dorian Gray and "Ethan Chandler"--played by Josh Hartnett.

The show must be doing well viewing wise, since Showtime has already announced they have picked the show up for a second season.

If you haven't watched it yet and can find a way to view the shows if you don't have cable or sat service or have a subscription to Showtime, there are plenty of ways that shows are available. I think many of you will find this show to be pretty good, too.

http://www.sho.com/sho/penny-dreadful/home

tenni
Jun 14, 2014, 2:33 PM
Thanks
I saw a snippet of this show last weekend.(I think) I was busy trying to connect the characters. I saw Dorian Grey getting obviously moving in for a kiss with a male character but didn't know his name. (maybe it was Ethan?) It looked fascinating but it is interesting that when you see a male character go to kiss another male character the whole aspect of "is he bisexual or is he gay?" comes in to play. One kiss or near kiss is not enough information..lol

It has that tinge of classical horror stories with Dorian, Dr Frankenstein(as a young man?) hints of vampires and more.
Is Vanessa the prostitute with consumption or working with maybe Dr. Frankenstein?

I will have to look in again.

Long Duck Dong
Jun 15, 2014, 3:58 AM
been looking forward to seeing it when I first heard about it...... sounds like they have protrayed dorian gray as oscar wilde originally created him.... a man that sampled the pleasures of the flesh, moral and immoral pleasures ( best victorian accent )....lol yes I have read the original version of * picture of dorian gray * and the edited version....

definately gonna stream it and watch it now....

12voltyV2.0
Jun 18, 2014, 11:47 AM
Vanessa is the fictional character that is part of "the team" hunting the vampire that took her friend and the daughter of the Timothy Bottoms character. The prostitute that Jason Hartnett's character is screwing and has a bad case of TB---she played "Rose"---one of Dr. Who's compatriots for a series of episodes.

void()
Jun 18, 2014, 4:31 PM
It looked fascinating but it is interesting that when you see a male character go to kiss another male character the whole aspect of "is he bisexual or is he gay?"

The Dorian Gray character advanced similarly upon Brona Croft, the prostitute whom Ethan Chandler is also bedding. Whence Dorian advanced as so, he bed the prostitute, or frankly he fucked her. Not difficult to figure if he advances in the same manner to Ethan Chandler, then, he is intent upon fucking Ethan Chandler.

Does it matter regarding sexuality? Two guys whom obviously fuck and enjoy men and women. I would hazard calling them bisexual as it would seem from their actions. Or maybe they're just two overly horny guys whom don't care as long as it's wet and warm, they fuck it.

Ultimately, it is television programming. Programming society to now maybe accept fluid sexuality? Or, it just may be erotic "fairy tales" to quell otherwise frustrated and near brain dead adults? Or, a blue light of a bug zapper? In any case it is a small dash of spicy adult entertainment. Glad it is seeing a second go despite feeling too much is sexualized in society at large. Nice to see attractive faces covering the blue light for a spell.

I'll clean up the bugs & offal later, after a few pints. No point over thinking a plate of beans, fork, spoon, knife ... hell I'll just use my hand and chow down.

Gearbox
Jun 18, 2014, 7:39 PM
I would hazard calling them bisexual as it would seem from their actions. Or maybe they're just two overly horny guys whom don't care as long as it's wet and warm, they fuck it.
I suspect that the latter is far more acceptable than the former, from what I gather.:eek: Time & time again I read how gay blokes have had 'str8' fuckbuds, FWB's, random hookups etc. VERY rarely I read the word 'bisexual', and even rarer I hear the word in some show or film etc. If ANY bisexual 'goings on', goes on with a male, it's kinda passed over on the label front. those types, go un-labled.
It's eerie that the 'fuck anything' heterosexual males in fiction and in real life, don't seem to qualify for a proper sexuality, even tho they really do have one. But even eerier that those 'str8' blokes also occupy the creme dela creme spot of gay fantasy.:rolleyes:
Makes me wonder if we should all use the term 'str8' defiantly, in the same way 'gay' is used.lol

void()
Jun 18, 2014, 8:57 PM
I suspect that the latter is far more acceptable than the former, from what I gather.:eek: Time & time again I read how gay blokes have had 'str8' fuckbuds, FWB's, random hookups etc. VERY rarely I read the word 'bisexual', and even rarer I hear the word in some show or film etc. If ANY bisexual 'goings on', goes on with a male, it's kinda passed over on the label front. those types, go un-labled.
It's eerie that the 'fuck anything' heterosexual males in fiction and in real life, don't seem to qualify for a proper sexuality, even tho they really do have one. But even eerier that those 'str8' blokes also occupy the creme dela creme spot of gay fantasy.:rolleyes:
Makes me wonder if we should all use the term 'str8' defiantly, in the same way 'gay' is used.lol

*sits nodding, grinning and going hmm, chuckles*

void()
Jun 19, 2014, 10:28 PM
Oddly enough, since about the third episode, not sure I have watched
further. I bore of bug zappers as easily, too. *grin* Suppose I'm not a
Joe Average, when it involves programming what rankles a fancy. Watched
about as many episodes of Duck Dynasty, same effect "not for me".

Also tried watching True Blood, got three episodes in. Despite the
pretties I could not remain engrossed. Not watched Survior, Housewives
or any other such type of shows. I am still in mourning over Johnny
(Carson that is). Still watch, rewatch Marx Brothers, Three Stooges. I
prefer Marx Brothers as they offer more cerbral humor than prat falls
and slapstick.