PDA

View Full Version : A very interesting article

12voltman59
Jul 30, 2006, 1:01 AM
I came across this very interesting article on the AOL website via the New York Times.

The article is about an evangelical minister who does not believe being a Christian and also being a conservative Republican are one in the same things:

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/disowning-conservative-politics-is/20060729195809990004?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Azrael
Jul 30, 2006, 1:13 AM
'In his six sermons, Mr. Boyd laid out a broad argument that the role of Christians was not to seek “power over” others -- by controlling governments, passing legislation or fighting wars.'
One woman asked: “So why NOT us? If we contain the wisdom and grace and love and creativity of Jesus, why shouldn’t we be the ones involved in politics and setting laws?”
Mr. Boyd responded: “I don’t think there’s a particular angle we have on society that others lack. All good, decent people want good and order and justice. Just don’t slap the label ‘Christian’ on it.”

Dude, this guy's pretty cool.

wanderingrichard
Jul 30, 2006, 1:19 AM
i like the fact he's separating church and state.....and letting the people know there is a difference between those two, but not between christians and everyone else when it comes to having an "IN"

jedinudist
Jul 30, 2006, 1:56 AM
wow - he IS rare!

Reprob8
Jul 30, 2006, 3:38 PM
oops, I can see an IRS audit of the churches tax free status in the future (my cynical nature).

I fail to see any difference between our religous fundamentalists and thiers but it is nice to know that some religous figures will stand against the vocal minority.