PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on HBO's new gay series: "Looking"

12voltyV2.0
Jan 21, 2014, 2:04 PM
Has anyone else here seen the new HBO series about a group of gay guys who live in San Francisco?

I just figured I would watch to see if I might like--but honestly---I didn't have all that great of expectations for it. I was not disappointed, because in my view, it was pretty much stereotypical.

Going around the internet at various sites, the reaction is mixed---with it maybe slightly being unfavorable over those who really liked it--of course--some really love it.

Among the knocks against it I have seen: many were critical that in the first scene, one of the characters met another guy doing some cruising in a park, but even in the show that got dissed by one character.

Among other knocks---the main characters are all white and even in the background scenes---all you see are white guys, when people argue--the areas they are filming--you will hardly see any white guys---mostly blacks, asians and latinos.

To me--I didn't care much for it because of two main things---the fixation on youth, with even one of the oldest characters--who might be all of 35 at the most--is worrying that he is getting too old to still be hot--and oh yes---they made negative comments about someone because "he is too round."

So--by the way this show seems to be----to be an acceptable gay guy--you have to be young, at least modestly well off, white and be a hunk.

From seeing a related show that HBO ran--a "making of" sort they have--the producers of the show are just like the characters---well off, good looking upper middle class, white, creative class types who live in San Francisco.

Oh yes--there was also one negative crack against an unseen character who was bisexual---with the rap against him being--"he is either hiding he is gay or fooling himself" --it was just a very quick line that went and passed fast---but man ---this show seems to play on all of the stereotypical shit about being "gay."

I would like to see someone have the guts to make a show about people who are GLBT who aren't all perfectly bodied, young, hip urban white guys---and aren't just purely gay and they live in someplace other than LA, San Francisco, New York or London-----and set the story in a sort of place that we can all recognize and identify with. Other than the drama--its probably not all that hard to be "gay" or whatever in a place like San Fran----a real story would be to show how people live in an alternate way in a place that is not so "gay friendly" and to also show not only "babies" trying to find their way----but those of us who are older as well.

I kind of doubt a show with such a realistic portrayal could get a green light, though.

I am not watching this show again--but man---I have found my new favorite show that also just came to HBO----TRUE DETECTIVE with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson----holy shit----Matt is channeling from some dark and deep place!!!! He is really hitting home runs with this role and what he did in "Dallas Buyers Club." This show for creepiness and darkness--beats the hell out of True Blood which is set in a fictional place in Louisiana and deals with supernatural stuff----TD is creepy because it deals with things that happen in the real world. If you haven't seen that show----this one is worth your time as far as I am concerned---while I would say if you haven't seen Looking--do check it out to see if you might like it or not---but to me---it's not worth any more of my time.

void()
Jan 22, 2014, 3:47 AM
So--by the way this show seems to be----to be an acceptable gay guy--you have to be young, at least modestly well off, white and be a hunk.

From seeing a related show that HBO ran--a "making of" sort they have--the producers of the show are just like the characters---well off, good looking upper middle class, white, creative class types who live in San Francisco.

Oh yes--there was also one negative crack against an unseen character who was bisexual---with the rap against him being--"he is either hiding he is gay or fooling himself" --it was just a very quick line that went and passed fast---but man ---this show seems to play on all of the stereotypical shit about being "gay."

I would like to see someone have the guts to make a show about people who are GLBT who aren't all perfectly bodied, young, hip urban white guys---and aren't just purely gay and they live in someplace other than LA, San Francisco, New York or London-----and set the story in a sort of place that we can all recognize and identify with. Other than the drama--its probably not all that hard to be "gay" or whatever in a place like San Fran----a real story would be to show how people live in an alternate way in a place that is not so "gay friendly" and to also show not only "babies" trying to find their way----but those of us who are older as well.

I kind of doubt a show with such a realistic portrayal could get a green light, though.

Sounds like all the more reason I rather shoot myself in the foot than
watch it. ;) *tongue in cheek* Saw a preview of it the other day. It did
not appeal to me. From your review can see why.

My perception comes from a quote and book of the same title, "The
medium is the message". This is from Marshall McLuhan whom also wrote
Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man. My perception is the
"message" being sent by the powers that be is that being homosexual is a
luxury.

As your review points out, "upper middle class, white". You also point
out they are creative types, possibly writers, or are involved in film,
media. That is all irrelevant fluff (no pun intended) in my world view,
however direct and immediate that may be. Simple enough to load the gun
now. *grin*

Please excuse me from more discussion on such a television show. More
telling I think is Direct TV no longer carrying The Weather Channel,
instead presenting boorishly glam trollops such as the show you review.
But that is alright, the Benjamin Franklin Farmer's Almanac is still in
publication, in print and online. Go progress!