PDA

View Full Version : Something to offer some perspective during this time of year

BiMaleAB
Dec 20, 2013, 1:22 AM
In an effort to add a bit more variety to the recent threads that have started, I want to share this powerful piece with you all.

Voyager 1 had its camera turned to snap the "Pale Blue Dot" image on February 14 1990. This image of earth was taken as voyager one was leaving the planetary orbits on its course into the kuiper belt. The sunbeam is the result of an optical effect inside the lense of the camera while the photo was taken, helping to make this image more poignant.

Carl Sagan wrote a moving piece on this image which eventually became the thematic basis for one of his last books:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K05xxeCdhSo

I hope this image and the message that goes with it from Dr. Sagan will help enable you to make better choices and deal more kindly with others. It is a good message to carry with you, and i figured this was an excellent time of year to share it.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Hypersexual11
Dec 20, 2013, 8:35 AM
Thanks for the change of pace Bi. I have to say though, I find it a little depressing. I'm not sure I needed to be reminded how I, and everything I know and feel, are insignificant. On the other hand, I was confident I could open this post and not be optically raped with a fisting pic. Merry Christmas!

tenni
Dec 20, 2013, 8:36 AM
Thanks for posting this at this time of year! :) Good points are made by Sagan. Although the concept of our own personal world may seem insignificant to a bigger picture, it is still our corner of the universe. Our actions and thoughts have significance to others important to us.

BiMaleAB
Dec 20, 2013, 5:23 PM
Thanks for posting this at this time of year! :) Good points are made by Sagan. Although the concept of our own personal world may seem insignificant to a bigger picture, it is still our corner of the universe. Our actions and thoughts have significance to others important to us.

Yes and I believe that is the point is it not :)

Gearbox
Dec 20, 2013, 6:21 PM
Well at least we are significant enough to have the honour of Carl Sagan.:tongue::bounce::bowdown:

Top fucker
Dec 20, 2013, 7:52 PM
Sagan was a MAJOR pothead and loved to party!!! :smoke: