PDA

View Full Version : Enlightenment: Fake Online Friendships

Strawberrie
Sep 14, 2013, 8:52 PM
So, I have a story to tell about how I detected a "Fake Online Friend." I've met a guy on an online social network ((not bisexual.com)). We have been talking for almost a year. He made me feel literally comfortable in having open discussions about untold topics about my life. Pathetically as it sounds, I actually thought he was a sincere and honest person; because, we've shared so much together((wrong!)). Yet, out of curiosity, I decided that I wanted to have a video conversation with him (nothing sexual). Because, we've shared X-rated ((mines were non-facial)) pictures including him sharing a facial picture of himself. As soon as, I clicked the video chat icon that's when I discovered that he wasn't what he said he was. Suspiciously, he had his webcam blurred to void me from seeing who he was. Yet, he had seen my whole entire face. Afterwards, I confronted him about it and only response I could receive from him was "it's not my fault." When of course, I knew better that something was suspicious about him all together on the webcam ordeal. Then, he had an audacity to start calling me all these derogatory names and etc.. I mean, I was more livid than hurt about the situation. Not alone, the guy himself was a bit off-ish in various areas. After that episode, who I thought was a sincere friend turned out to be either a internet creep or an online predator. However, I've permanently "blocked" him and no longer talk to him anymore. So now, I don't no longer recommend being friends with nobody over the internet and whether remain "Anonymous". Because, people from the internet are so quick to fuck you over than to be honest with you. It's horrible how human beings treat each other online. But I am always open-minded to sharing experiences and etc. However, I'm NOT going to share my Facebook Account, Real Name, Phone Number, and/or Facial Pictures with any of you on here. Out of kindness and courtesy, please DO NOT ask me any of the following above. Thank you :).

NjbiGuy01
Sep 15, 2013, 5:15 PM
Welcome to the web. Was friendly with a few people. I called one gal who was part of a couple from work (without blocking my number). Things got complicated and her old man was all revved up to "ruin your life, marriage, etc". Never again here. It's sad that you want to be close enough to a couple to share the most intimate acts people can share, but on the other hand need to be that cautious... one guy half of a couple I met through here freely uses an email with a link to his FB profile. With google images, you can match pictures to other pictures...trace e-mails, and so forth....I don't care. If things don't work out I wouldn't wreck his life, but (as the lady said) I ain't sharing my Facebook Account, Real Name, Phone Number, and/or Facial Pictures.....

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Sep 17, 2013, 9:21 PM
People like that are more turned on by the Prospect of talking dirty or Appearing to be Bi, ect. If they have something to hide and cant be themSelves, then kick em to the curb, Darlin. People people dont hide their identity, dont blur around the edges, so to speak. If they have nothing to hide, then they coulda/woulda/shoulda been honest.
You are better off, Darlin

Me, I live by the words of my generation: What ya see is what ya get" My words are...If yer Lucky..lol

Better luck next time Sugar..:}
Cat, the real deal. ;)

NewBiShopper
Sep 18, 2013, 12:07 PM
I have to agree with you on this matter Strawberrie protect your ID our social media of today can destroy a persons character within seconds. If the person in question was a true gentlemen he would not have treated you with such disrespect don't cancel everyone out they are still some shining armour out there their just tougher to find. Have a grand day...Canada

zigzig
Sep 18, 2013, 12:25 PM
Yes, because as lawyers say:,,anything what you post can be used against you''. You can chat to people Online, but never reveal their identity. Some cases you do meet nice people. I meet my husband online.

Gearbox
Sep 18, 2013, 12:59 PM
I am always open-minded to sharing experiences and etc. However, I'm NOT going to share myFacebook Account, Real Name, Phone Number, and/or Facial Pictures with any of you on here. Out of kindness and courtesy, please DO NOT ask me any of the following above.
Isn't that 'fucking people over'?
You just slated a bloke for blurring his face, and now you proudly announce that YOU are following his lead.:confused:

You have just given yourself carte blanche on assuming ANY identity that you choose. Even claim that it's kind & courteous to not ask ANY proof of it........no matter how close a friendship or what intimate details are shared with you via PM's.:eek:
By your own definition shouldn't we all view this announcement as a MASSIVE 'red flag' and suspect you of being an 'internet creep' & a predator?
Lets face it, that's some pretty clever smokescreen for one. Of course we all believe that you're a young lady who's been victimised by an on-line con artist who just wants to share 'private things' with others.:rolleyes:

Isn't paranoia fun?:tongue:
Lets take a poll to see who can be the most paranoid and come up with the worst case scenario of who you actually are.:eek2::yikes2::!:

bib4u
Sep 18, 2013, 3:22 PM
Some are comfortable with others having access to what they say, others aren't. Each of us must choose, the differences of others are often what has drawn us to that person, but if familiarity breeds contempt, it is aways our attitude. Only we can decide for ourselves. Being civil is a universal need, the lack of civil always causes problems.

elian
Sep 18, 2013, 4:27 PM
As far as online goes first I watch what people post in discussion groups. If I feel we have something in common then I chat with them. If it gets serious enough..Email phone and cam.. If I feel confident in someone I will meet in public place.

At least he wasn't an actual SCAM artist, of which there are many. "I love youI love you I love you - please send money"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_scam

pepperjack
Sep 19, 2013, 10:01 PM
How very perceptive! I once read that paranoia & perfect awareness are the same thing; was also accused once of appearing as " a deer caught in headlights." I quickly retorted, " It's called, being alert!" Was operating very dangerous equipment in a very humanly congested manufacturing plant at the time. Same finely-tuned perception has helped me to detect online phonies.