PDA

View Full Version : Head-Noise

Azrael
Jul 17, 2006, 12:16 PM
You know of which I speak. Music that incites feral tendencies at high volumes. Music that when played results in shouts of "turn off that fucking noise!" Music that makes one thrash about maniacally, while pondering the nature of the self, society and existence in itself. Punk as well as Metal, as the two are very closely related and owe a great deal of their lineage to one another. Is anyone else here excited by these things? Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Discharge, The Exploited? Slayer, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Deicide? Anyone have any remarkable concert memories? My favorite concert would probably be Vile, Exhumed, Hypocrisy and Cannibal Corpse. Corpse is one of the less cerebral death bands, but amazing live. Slayer was also an incredible show. Saw them 3 days before I had my shoulder operated on. I was telling the Anasthesiologist about it as he was putting me under :bigrin: Am I the only musical adrenaline freak here? I listen to lots of mellow stuff, electronic ambient and whathave you, but I've been a Metalhead for almost 10 years now and I'm still not bored with it, although my standard has gotten more critical.

jedinudist
Jul 17, 2006, 12:48 PM
Metal rules

taz67156
Jul 21, 2006, 5:26 PM
I listen to all kinds of music but what I really like are the bands from the 70's cause the stuff now days to me is worthless when it talks about things that young kids and teens don't need to hear.

taz67156

P.S. I got to see Reo Speedwagon live a few years ago and loved it:)

Azrael
Jul 21, 2006, 5:38 PM
I listen to all kinds of music but what I really like are the bands from the 70's cause the stuff now days to me is worthless when it talks about things that young kids and teens don't need to hear.

taz67156

P.S. I got to see Reo Speedwagon live a few years ago and loved it:)
Bubblegum pop crap has existed damn near forever, although I do agree that radio fare is pretty shitty these days. Not entirely, but mostly. What do you think kids and teens don't need to hear in particular?

codybear3
Jul 21, 2006, 7:30 PM
When I read Head-noise, I thought about a noisy blowjob...But now I know better... :rolleyes:

My parents used to tell me to "turn down that noise"...Now I catch myself saying the same thing... :( :paw: :paw:

12voltman59
Jul 21, 2006, 9:10 PM
I have never been much for any "pop" music at any point in my life--I once was into the original power rockers and early heavy metal: Iron Butterfly, Hendrix, Steppenwolf, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeppelin, Santana, Rush--then moved into southern rock music from groups like The Allman Brothers Band, Molly Hatchet, Mother's Finest (a long defunct group from Atlanta that had a really hot black chick as lead singer) .38 Special, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Lynyrd Sknyryrd, and others---

I was also a fan of Jimmy Buffett (of course) along with a number of musicians who played shows in a circuit of long gone, but very cool, little music spots in places such as Savannah, Orlando, Tampa, Atlanta and Jacksonville like Gamble Rogers and Gove Scrivenor---some did record some records (real vinyl records)/some did not. Few ever got themselves on the radar screens of the popular music machine controllers, but they still had good careers and were able to at least make enough money to continue making their music and entertaining their fans and followers.

Since an early age I became a fan of what is now called 'classic jazz' or better: Be-bop and stilll love that form of jazz.

The one thing I did not do like many in my age bracket--I did not get stuck into only liking the music I liked when I was a teen or in my early 20's--I don't listen to those commerical "classic rock" stations that only play the same damned 50 songs or so with a few others mixed in..my tastes did move on and I do look for new talent in the genres of music that I like.

Over the years my tastes have evolved to what is now called "American Roots music" or "Americana" (many of these musicians are also called singer/song writers because they do mostly write their own stuff) even though not all of the musicians who play this kind of music are necessarily "Americans" from the US--some are from Canada like a musician I recently discovered: Kathleen Edwards-she is 26 from Ottawa and has two studio CDs and one "live" CD to her credit--she is great in my book. (she has opened for the Rolling Stones and other big names)--check her out at www.kathleenedwards.com)

Another artist that falls into this category but is not even "north American" is Casey Chambers--her song "The Captain" brought her to much attention, especially after the song was selected for an episode of "The Sopranos" a few seasons back...

I also have come to love bluegrass music---some call it "hillbilly music" but there is some great stuff there and those who make this music professionally are some of the most accomplished musicians I know of--I put the skills of a top notch bluegrass musician as being comparable to someone who trained in Classical music at any major conservatory program in the world... some of the more popular bluegrass groups out there are The Del McCoury Band and Alison Krause and Union Station--there are some new talents too that are great such as Nickel Creek.

I also love Celtic music, cajun/zydeco and most any music that comes from New Orleans--I hope New Orleans is able to recover for that city is truly the cultural heart of this country's musical heritage----so many various strains from places all over the world came together in New Orleans and just llike a good gumbo--was put into a big pot to simmer awhile to make something wonderful---

I just don't care much for rap/hip-hop and the mass produced pop crap like Brittany Spears and the Simpson sisters--nor I am much of a fan of most of the stuff that now comes from Music Row in Nashville these days--its just countrified pop --

The reason I don't care much for rap--it's the message it seems to be about--having lots of money illicitly obtained and used to buy loads of high priced cars, stereos, tvs, "cribs" and throw away "ho's" who bump and grind their booties....

Just getting old I guess---I'd rather go to a musical performance in a nice little club somewhere with the musicians playing acoustic instruments instead of a large scale choreographed production with "high production' values in some big stadium with 30,000 screaming people.

teddyboy
Jul 22, 2006, 1:37 AM
I'll never forget the Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Ozzy posters on my wall. My Dad freaked over the posters and upside down crosses adorning my walls. Later in my teenage years I discovered hardcore "metal up yer ass" stuff. Metallica changed me forever musically, I had never heard a band that could capture my mania and to help me work the anger out. Anybody remember "Fade to Black"? I am still into hardcore metal but the pickings are getting slim.

I was also heavily into the Ramones, and the pistols. Again, there seems to be a shortage of good old fashioned punk riffs nowdays too.

Anybody ever heard of the Arctic Monkeys? I caught them the other night on tv and thought they were pretty damned good.

Growing up and being a teenager in Seattle during Grunge was a trip...it started to suck when they all got big...SoundGarden,Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, and Mother Lovebone were all fun to see in small bars with fake ID :tongue: . Another good punkish grunge band was the Gits. The lead singer was raped and killed well before her time.

The Seattle stuff makes me wonder...Cobane (dead) Staley (dead) Zapata (dead) The lead singer of Lovebone (dead) Maybe I should I move, the grey from October through April can get a bit depressing. Oh wait I can't move...I enjoy all the bi people here :bibounce:

Cool Thread!

tatooedpunk
Jul 22, 2006, 1:39 PM
Great Thread!
I love hard fast guitar based music but my choice is Punk, have friends who are into rock and metal which is fine but to me you cant better the adreline that i get from punk rock,
Nice to talk about music though

Azrael
Jul 22, 2006, 3:46 PM
I'll never forget the Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Ozzy posters on my wall. My Dad freaked over the posters and upside down crosses adorning my walls.
Maiden! YEAAAHHH! Powerslave is one of my all time fovorite albums.

Herbwoman39
Jul 22, 2006, 7:34 PM
I used to love metal, but I was drawn more towards the more obscure metal bands. Now that I'm older and pushing 40, I've mellowed.

It's sad really. I remember times in my 20's when I'd crank the stereo and scream along at the top of my lungs while vaccuming or cleaning house. Now..it's slower,more sedate stuff and talk stations on the radio. (sigh) I feel old.

Herbwoman39
Jul 22, 2006, 8:51 PM
Well, that's just funky... I was digging though my music collection and I came across my HIM CDs. I LOVE HIM and that version of Wicked Games. I also love Marilyn Manson's new version of Sweet Dreams.

Guess I'm not so old after all ;-)

mistymockingbird
Jul 23, 2006, 1:48 PM
I never heard the words "turn down that noise" when I was growing up. Perhaps because my Mom's choice of music is bands like Pink Floyd, Steppenwolf, Iron Butterfly, The Grateful Dead, Led Zepplin, The Who, Jimmy Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane. You get the picture. In fact, I just bought her The Wall on cd for mother's day.

Like teddyboy, I too grew up in the Seattle area during the grunge era. Good times. lol

My taste is pretty eclectic but there are days I can't get through with out Nine Inch Nails, Violent Femmes, Linkin Park, Metallica, Ozzy. And bands like Guns N Roses, Queen, Motley Crue, Van Halen, and Bon Jovi get pretty heavy rotation in my iPod.

First album I ever bought with my allowance? Def Leppard-Hysteria. Still have it, still love it.

Azrael
Jul 23, 2006, 3:54 PM
When I read Head-noise, I thought about a noisy blowjob...But now I know better... :rolleyes:

My parents used to tell me to "turn down that noise"...Now I catch myself saying the same thing... :( :paw: :paw:
Most amusing. You get a gold star, sir :bigrin:

12voltman59
Jul 23, 2006, 10:53 PM
Herbwoman---no sense in feeling "old"--we do age and change is a constant--it is no wonder that your tastes have changed--better than them having gotten stuck---

I once loved big banging rock music and such --from my previous rambling post on this subject it is clear that I don't listen to it much these days. I'm not aplogizing for my current musical tastes---they have evolved as my life has evolved...

Today--I tend to like music that has a more "old timey" and down to earth sensibility...

Once in awhile, I do pull out my old vinyl records-dust them off and hope the turntable still works--then I put on the old stuff and the music instaneously takes me back to the days and times when I first listened to that music--it can also take me to new places--for I come to have an appreciation of the music I may not have had before or it speaks to me in a different way---

Enjoy this age and those that hopefully will come in the future...the alternative is not fun to think about...LOL and enjoy whatever music speaks to your soul at each point along your life's journey...

the sacred night
Aug 8, 2006, 2:03 PM
Hehehe I thought of head in the cocksucking sense when I saw this thread too... clever turn of phrase.